Sign in to follow this  
-=Kris=-

Exessive tyre wear... help!

right so a fellow car enthusiast and i were outside this morning and Mike had seen that my front tyres are seriously worn on the outside edge...

I'm using Toyo Proxie T1Rs.... not exactly crummy quality tryres... i had them replaced just under 5000 miles ago and had the wheel alignment done at the same time...

I know i do tend to fly around the corners but thats a bit silly isnt it?

i'm on stock shocks and speedline alloys...

the inside of the tyres are fine tho... and the rear tyres that i've had on for almost 12000 miles are still going on strong!

does this sound normal? am i missing something... could it be camber? can the camber even be adjusted on these?! :shrug:

Its probably bad wheel aligment, you say youve had it alinged but was it by someone who knows what there doing or the YTS trainee? :)

lol it was done by kwik fit... the steering has been pretty straight and true...

The car has a minor service booked for tomorrow... i know the brake pads need replacing... i'll get him to check it out while here there... but if anyone has any other theories in the mean time, plz lemme know... :salute:

They check the camber too when they were under there??

I don't remember them checking that... they did the whole lazer wheel alignment stuff... but, i don't thnk they did the camber...

lol it was done by kwik fit... the steering has been pretty straight and true...

The car has a minor service booked for tomorrow... i know the brake pads need replacing... i'll get him to check it out while here there... but if anyone has any other theories in the mean time, plz lemme know... :salute:

theres your problem right there.... kwick fit!! :bad-words:

if the camber is not off then hows the suspension looking? i had similar problem when my rear spring shoe came a little loose.

Mine are scrubbed a little on the outside edge also and that is definitely due to my cornering speeds :lol:

if the car isn't tugging left of right and you're not getting excessively tyre squealing round corners, I'd say the geometry can't be too far off, but worth getting it double checked. On a proper 4WD alignment jig if possible.

Mine are scrubbed a little on the outside edge also and that is definitely due to my cornering speeds :lol:

if the car isn't tugging left of right and you're not getting excessively tyre squealing round corners, I'd say the geometry can't be too far off, but worth getting it double checked. On a proper 4WD alignment jig if possible.

:lol: there is a corner that i like to take quite quickly... i've noticed that where before i could take it at 55mph... now it starts squeeling at 50 mph...

I'll get it put on an uber alignment jig... any places ppl could recommend around the hampshire berkshire area?

theres your problem right there.... kwick fit!! :bad-words:

if the camber is not off then hows the suspension looking? i had similar problem when my rear spring shoe came a little loose.[/quote:2wftdtg4]

I'll get that checked out tomorrow... could be that...

i was a bit worried taking taking it to kwik fit but at the time my alignment was pretty poor and i just need it to be sorted... in hindsight i should have taken it to be done by someone half decent cos now i my need new front tyres already... :brickwall:

It does sound like they have only checked the tracking, not the camber.

that was my 1st thought... bloody kwik fit! :censored:

kwick fit are :censored: !!

it wouldnt of supprised me if they didnt put the car on the ramp correctly so the tracking they "did" was miles off... does it track well when you drive?

:offtopic: but i got KF to fit some pirelli tyres for my rad last year and two of the tyres they changed where out of date and two where not even Pirelli!they where blumin AVON!!!! :mad: i may even have to start a thread about how much i hate them....

tracking isn't too bad... i mean it pulls slightly to the left but otherwise nothing too serious that it would cause the tyres to wear that much...

kwick fit are :censored: !!

it wouldnt of supprised me if they didnt put the car on the ramp correctly so the tracking they "did" was miles off... does it track well when you drive?

:offtopic: but i got KF to fit some pirelli tyres for my rad last year and two of the tyres they changed where out of date and two where not even Pirelli!they where blumin AVON!!!! :mad: i may even have to start a thread about how much i hate them....

How do you check if a tyre is in date?

I know a guy who works for KF and he told me that I was better off going to a different garage to get my alignment/camber cheked as the KF machine isn't that great.

I had to change my last set of Toyo Proxies T1R's at 11000 miles due to excessive wear on the outside edge on both tyres . The centre and inner edges still had 3-4mm. I had a laser 4 wheel alignment done when they were fitted and I'm happy that the geomertry was set up correctly.

The Toyos are well known for having soft shoulders and Toyo themselves made a point of advertising the T1R's as having a harder coupound than the T1S's they replaced which suffered badly with shoulder wear.

I've gone back to Continentals, wont be using Toyos again.

also want to remember that if you like cornering a little fast you do have a lot of weight over the front tyres being a vr

i found i used to wear the tyres quite quickly and never got even tyre wear across the width allways on the edges (using the std speedlines)

Good link. Always wondered what the DOT number was, at least now we know what the end part means. Just had 2 Toyos fitted so will be checking the date.

I also had this problem with Toyo's I went through two sets of fronts in 15k and both times there was atleast 4mm of tread on the centre of the tyre it was just the shoulders were rubish. Great tyre for chucking it at corners, but the sides are weak.

I had my allignment done, and swapped away from Toyo, as I felt there were better tyres out there.

Ive gone back to firestones, as I felt they were a good comprimise between price and control.

looks like my tracking was fine... seems as tho it's just a soft compound...

does anyone know if eagle F1's have been disscontinued?

great link... 07 at the back and 08 at the front...

Checked the toyos ive just fitted, one was in 347th week of 2008. The other tyre (bought at the same time) doesnt seem to have a DOT number on it. I had a good look and cant see it.

Checked the toyos ive just fitted, one was in 347th week of 2008. The other tyre (bought at the same time) doesnt seem to have a DOT number on it. I had a good look and cant see it.

apparantly it's only on one side of the tyre... so you'll find that one side will be easy to find and on the other side it'll be on the inside... was it on the passenger side of the car by any chance?

apparantly it's only on one side of the tyre... so you'll find that one side will be easy to find and on the other side it'll be on the inside... was it on the passenger side of the car by any chance?[/quote:2cw65urb]

Ah so regardless of the rotation it will always be on one side i.e. on the outside of the drivers and on the inside for the passenger?

Yes was the passenger side i couldnt find it. Which would make sense going by what you have just said above :D

Oops thats the 37th week not 347th week :lol:

Bought your tyres yet Kris? If you're lucky you'll get some late made F1's - they're good and last a tiny bit longer than Toyos in my experience. Both a cheap in comparison to say Michelin. They're also both darn sticky and hence wear so quick.

I destroyed some Toyos in 5k too on a 2.0L, but camber was setup wrong. What about the toe? Does the VR not have a little bit of torque steer issue? Have they toed them in to compensate? I dont like people fettling with setups if I know Im getting correct tyre wear - kwikfit dont even register on my radar!

You also say it pulls to the left, is that not a combination of torque steer and road camber?

If you went bald on the outer edge and only had say 2mm left in the middle; all that happened in 5k on a VR.... I'd be happy. But if the handling has gone to pot, even on fresh rubber, then I'd get miffed.