Sign in to follow this  
Critical_Mass

Wiper Speed

Hi all,

Did the Corrado come with adjustable speed for the intermittent wipers?

I've discovered i can change the speed of the intermittent wipers buy holding down the MFA button on the stalk. I thought this could only be done with a different relay, a relay i dont think (at least didnt think) it has?

i've always thought it could be changed! mine goes fast at times and slow at other times...

i've just never known how to change it! :shrug:

i'll have to give that a try...

On mine, (late VR) you turn intermittent wipe on, then off immediately, wait the required time till the next wipe, then turn intermittent back on and leave it on.

Works up to about a 30 second delay i reckon (thats as long a delay as i've ever set anyway)

Never heard of adjusting the wipe delay with the MFA button though...

Theck on way i tested it was, turn wipers on, then off, hold down the MFA button for x amount of seconds then wipers ba. So actually maybe it is the method you say :lol: I'll test it tomorrow.

Still the question still remains, i thought you couldnt change the speed of them?

My early valver wipers were a fixed speed (I think), as you said earlier, it depends on which relay is fitted i think.

I seem to remember an old thread on here mentioning a MK3 Golf relay that you could swap over to, but maybe i dreamt that... :lol:

Get a No 99 relay to replace the existing 19 relay. Programme it by switching on the intermitent wipe the switching it of for the required delay them back on again. You can get a relay from older VW's for 50p - £1 in a scrappies.

Yep, it's a pretty antiquated and vague way of setting the speed, but that's how it's done!

I'm going to experiment with some late stalks which have the more common and useful adjustment knob on the stalk itself, rather than the on, off, wait, on nonsense. The adjuster terminates across the same relay timer pins so it should just be a case of plug and play..... providing the late stalks (MK4 Golf, MK7 Polo) fit in the Corrado column.

Oooo.. let us know how you get on with that mate. The Mk4's system is pretty decent so would be a good upgrade :)

I discovered this the other day following a post on the forum in about 1983 – I think it’s genius. Once you’ve turned the wipers off you just turn them on again when you need the screen wiped. Complete user adjustability.

thats quite cool... i was messing about with it in the dry last night on the way home from work... i looked a right plum as if my electrics had gone crazy!