Sign in to follow this  
kentyboy

euro style plates

i have just been pulled over and fined sixty pounds because i have euro style plates on my corrado,they have a d logo on one end,and according to the police officers that pulled me up... i am not allowed to use this style of plate as cameras cannot pick up this font...this poses a problem: why can a german registered car or polish or french or spanish car come over to this country for two years before having to go back and get their equivelent of an mot..ie:tuv in the german case,and they do not get a fine for having unreadable plates.....yes i knew that they were supposedly illegal when i put them on,thus the fine will be paid...but does this mean that the foreign registered cars can tear around our streets without ever getting a fine or not? :bad-words:

appartently different spacing, style letters (or in my case i have a dash in between the numbers and letters) means the speed cameras cant pick them up??

i had german plates on and they made me take them off and sign them off to be disposed there and then, but i didnt get a fine... depends on the police officer!! sounds unlucky, if i were you i would do what i did and get english style lettering on pressed plates with the GB logo, you can get them from dubmeister site, they take a few weeks though

That's really unucky, I have had german plates with the D on mine for over two years now and never once been pulled over. I guess south london police have more to worry about than a dodgy plate.

But I do have them stuck over my english ones, it doesn't look amazing but at least I can claim I forgot to take them off after a show :D

yep just unlucky i guess! on the way to edition 38 going up the a 43 towards silverstone...pulled me and a friend,there must have been hundreds of cars with these plates gone up that road in the last few days,i even removed them and put my uk plates on...they still fined me as they say that they had videod me and it was on record,he then took photos of my car and told me how nice it looks..cheeky git!!!!!! :bad-words:

serious guys you went to a car show were you not expecting cop's on route ????

should have just put your plates on once you got there and saved your selfs some money :nono:

THIS IS RUBBISH!!!!!

I have the same pressed plates on mine. While out for a little drive I was pootling down a hill & got spied by a van cam. I knew he had me :(

Following week I get a letter saying 'we saw you doing 34 MPH please dont do it again'

Also plate reads G6O NO where as of course its G6 ONO but they figured that out too...... unless certain cams really cant pick them up then this 'reason' you have been given is a load of pony :hitler:

must admit it sounds a load of rubbish to me to, surely if they take the pic but cant read the plate automatically smoeone looks at it and works it out??

APAC can read some Euro fonts but gets confused with hypens, breaks in letters/numbers (9&0 for example), and "Stadt" logos...

Like Dude I've been running full on style D-plates for 2 years in E-london, no hassle(d-band/german spaced/stadts/german dealer surround)... not because they are "kwel" or I'm a rebel, I simply went through 2 smashed front plates in the station carpark in 3 weeks! :bad-words:

However will be getting UK pressed ones done now I'm in Buckinghamshire, and the local station's round the corner from the house!

Really a case of you run them you know they're not legal you pay up...

Yeh I had my German pressed plates on for a couple o' months, then I got pulled over on the 1st July for them. The law changed on the 30th June from a £30 fine to a £60. So the officer was loving that lol.

When he got out his 'calibrated plastic square' to show me how my lettering was too small, he realised they were the right size :lol: :lol:

So that was 1 to me, but still got the fine lol.

At the end of the day I had no arguement, I knew they were illegal and that was the law, so I coughed up and paid.

if i were you i would do what i did and get english style lettering on pressed plates with the GB logo, you can get them from dubmeister site, they take a few weeks though

I ordered mine from Dubmeister in the next couple o' days, £30+6 postage for both methinks. But I didn't order mine till like 3pm Thurs, and they were with me the following day!

I just bought some fully not police friendly plates from Edition :wave: and ran my US spec plate on the way home, I may put that one back to standard before I go to work maybe. My front plate was cracked and a bit pants and didnt see the point in buying a plastic one nor did I bring my V5 for dubmeister who were at ed38 :D

DSC00904.jpg

DSC00893.jpg

I ordered mine from Dubmeister in the next couple o' days, £30+6 postage for both methinks. But I didn't order mine till like 3pm Thurs, and they were with me the following day!

oh, i went through the link and got mine from germany, so still not legal :ignore: but i wanted a little dash in the middle?? plus i wasnt sending my V5 no where!!!

Kempy, what plates did u go for in the end then, pressed UK font ones? Nice seeing u guys when we got to Newport lol, shame it wasn't sooner could've cruised back with u lol!!

oh, i went through the link and got mine from germany, so still not legal :ignore: but i wanted a little dash in the middle?? plus i wasnt sending my V5 no where!!!

:lol: Yeh Dubmeister isn't far from me so was gonna give em in by hand, then decided to post em (coz it says faxing isn't allowed), but when I phoned em they said just fax em through!! Bish Bash Bosch and my plates arrived! :clap: Then I just had to get the old ones off... :|

just bought a front german font pressed. probably should of bought a rear plate to. What day did you go up on?

It's the ANPR cameras that can't read non-legal plates. I guess speed cameras get checked by a human eye.

The ANPR system, as I understand it, is primarily for being able to quickly track a certain registration in a security emergency, ie terrorists using the motorway network to move around quickly. If they don't enforce the use of legal plates then it would be easy for naughty people to simply slap on some 'show' plates and evade detection - hiding amongst us lot!

but does this mean that the foreign registered cars can tear around our streets without ever getting a fine or not? :bad-words:

No, all foreign-plate cars must in any EU country, if permanently resident therein, change plates and registration of car to local plates within 3 months. So, someone from Germany who lives permanently in the UK, must change his/her German plates over to UK plates within 3 months. At least that's what the UK DVLA website stated many moons ago, when I was importing my Mk1 Rocco from Germany.

Terms like "permanently resident", although defined by law, leave space for interpretation, however, and it all boils down to how clued up/vigilant the authorities of the country you're in / or even the authorities of the country you're leaving potentially ar. At the moment the country you're leaving does not have to inform the authorities of the country you'll be moving to, as it is your legal obligation (even though there are no mechanisms other than getting stopped by police who may then do a full check to force you to change) to notify and change.

Equally I do know Germans here in the UK, who quite happily take the risk of carrying on driving around with German plates, going across every 2 years to have their TÜV done, and just live with it.

It's the SPECS cameras that can't cope with non-standardised fonts on the plates that cause the problem for the powers that be, so they decided to clamp down. In a similar vein 3D fonts and italic fonts were ruled out some years ago, all for the same reason, just when SPECS cameras were being rolled out.

As already said, I am very careful what show I visit (those frequented by younger drivers usually get targeted by the powers that be a lot more, ... for I hate to have to admit, obvious reasons, which I won't go into 8) ), and if I do visit a show with potential for increased road checks, I would take preventive measures if needed (not needed on any of my 3 cars, though :D ). Red towel, bull, etc. I think is the analogy that springs to mind here :lol:

Tempest

just bought a front german font pressed. probably should of bought a rear plate to. What day did you go up on?

Oh right, thought u said "police friendly", not "not police friendly" lol!

Went up on the Saturday mate, left around 9ish

thats when we all went up, shame that we had a pretty big convoy :( I got 35mpg ftw :camp: