Sign in to follow this  
MonkeyVR6

Engine now running at 95 degrees?

Right peeps,were do i begin??,

So far i've added a large,thicker aluminium rad. with 2 12" fans,put a lower rated thermostat in(with 2 small holes to avoid air locks),G12 coolant,Seat marbella rad.fan switch that should cut in at 85 degrees,large oil cooler off a Lancia delta int. and fan relay rigged to run at max.

Ok,my engines a turbo16v but in traffic the gauge still creeps up to 110 degrees,as does the oil temp,they are

both nearly identical in readings.

It has been almost 40 degrees here this summer so maybe that counts aswell.

As soon as i hit motorway speeds both go down to around 80,even with outside temps of nearly 40.

Walsey's right,you get paranoid and are constantly looking at the temp. gauge...

does your tacho needle also jump slightly erratically? If so, it may be a fault with the voltage regulator. My oil temp sometimes reads 110 when in reality its about 90 (perhaps less). Have you actually checked the temp is that high - if you open teh bonnet and its high you really know about it! 80-90 feels warm but overly so.

You can get the voltage regulator from Maplins for about £1, but i'm just trying to confirm that it is the same as the one in the car, if anyone can confirm this? (see my post in '228mph corrado')

I can't see it being the water pump and the only other thing I can think of is to change the radiator.

Change both and watch the temps fall.

And don't use a GSF metal bladed pump, they disintegrate and the particles clog up the aux pump.

Ive lost count of how many Corrados ive had and NONE of them have sat dead on 90deg like every other VW i've had does,

All current VAGs have the temp guage 'engineered' to sit in the middle and GTI MFAs no longer have oil temp or oil pressure readings. It's to reassure paranoid people that all is fine and dandy. People like the middle. Either side of middle and they panic. What the gauge reads and what the actual water temp is are very different, but ignorance is bliss for these people.

The Corrado gauge appears to be a true reading and a healthy VR's actual water temp is around 83-85 on a cruise. It should always be a few degs above stat opening temp as Dr Mat said, so if it's 10 or more deg above, you have a problem.

Until I started tinkering with my valver it used to warm up to bang on middle of the gauge and pretty much sit bang on there even when driven hard, Like all the other old and new VAG cars I've had or driven, but that was when the car was under 10 years old and with all original components in the cooling system.

Since then I've had different rads, different hoses, a couple of different blocks, a different water pump, thermostat and the wiring and sensors and the dash are obviously ageing, not surprisingly it doesn't read exactly the same as it used to.

But, with a standard new VW rad in there now it does run a little hotter on the gauge than it used to years ago, which I tend to think is down to a slightly different engine capacity.

I do however tend to put more faith in the oil temp and I've checked the gauge to be fairly accurate with an IR hand held sensor and an MOT sump probe temp sensor.

I can't see it being the water pump and the only other thing I can think of is to change the radiator.

And don't use a GSF metal bladed pump, they disintegrate and the particles clog up the aux pump.

Is this one of the 'bladed' pumps? No idea how much one from VW is, but they're £30ish new from eBay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

Is this one of the 'bladed' pumps? No idea how much one from VW is, but they're £30ish new from eBay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

The same as above, but cheaper from avs : http://www.vwspares.co.uk/product_info. ... cts_id=586

My 1995 VR Sits at just above 70-80 when normal driving then in traffic upto 98 where the first stage fan kicks in! Dont think its ever seen the 100 mark since i bought it. When i bought it i gave it a service including a good coolant flush with (I think) Comma Coolant system flush. :)

Which guage are we talking about?

There is an analogue needle guage on the left of the dash which sits around 90 odd. On the MFA display I get between 100 and 105. :confused4:

Which guage are we talking about?

There is an analogue needle guage on the left of the dash which sits around 90 odd. On the MFA display I get between 100 and 105. :confused4:

The needle gauge is the water temp. The MFA reading is the oil. Both figures you give above is normal mate.

All current VAGs have the temp guage 'engineered' to sit in the middle and GTI MFAs no longer have oil temp or oil pressure readings. It's to reassure paranoid people that all is fine and dandy. People like the middle. Either side of middle and they panic. What the gauge reads and what the actual water temp is are very different, but ignorance is bliss for these people.

thats why i love my old suzuki swift, its has hot and cold (blue and red) and then no readings in the middle so you can't tell how hot it is, it just sits in the middle... which is good :D . All i know is i've only ever been worried once in all 5 years i've owned it and thats when the radiator popped and temp went into red alert :lol:

I ended up changing...

All 3 water sensors, the thermostadt, the fan switch and fan motor and fan itself and the coolant.

About 400 Euros worth (not including labour)...now the temp runs fine :D