Sign in to follow this  
Sonicriot13

Drove the new Polo today at VW HQ.

And my God what an improvement over the last one in every single way apart from one fundamental thing - the petrol engines.... They're still the same units from the old generation and just seem at odds with the rest of the car. Still, they are due to update them next year with some pretty exciting stuff and there will be a GTI which I didn't get to drive but it looks superb! 8)

Drove it back to back against 8 of its main competitors and I have to say even from an independent view point (if I can be independent any more!) that the 1.4 petrol Polo was far and away the best car there.

The styling is the best thing about it though. I was being followed by one and it looked really good in the rear view mirror. Far too much road presence for a car like that! :lol:

You can tell me all about it when I come down to see your BM in a couple of weeks

You're paying us a little visit? :D

Is that BM as in brand manager or BM as in business manager?

How much are they gonna cost mate?

From memory (and I'm terrible at remembering the prices of cars even though it's my job :lol: ) they're starting at 10k for the 5dr S. For anything with decent spec you're looking at about £11,500. They're doing an old biddies version (SE) and a young driver's version (Moda) that will be the same price in the middle of the range. It's an interesting idea I've not come across before.

When are they replacing the appalling Fox? Why VW ever scrapped the Lupo for that is beyond me!

Mum would love one of these but for a decent size engine ie 1.4 and a few needed extras you are looking at circa £14500!

As quality as it is that seems like a lot of money for a 'small' motor....

Mum would love one of these but for a decent size engine ie 1.4 and a few needed extras you are looking at circa £14500!

As quality as it is that seems like a lot of money for a 'small' motor....

Compare it to the prices of other similar cars in the segment mate. The Polo comes in cheaper than a lot! I was surprised to see certain models of the Fiesta are more expensive with less equipment. And with better residuals than the vast majority of it's competitors you may be buying high but you'll also be selling high. :grin: :lol:

When are they replacing the appalling Fox? Why VW ever scrapped the Lupo for that is beyond me!

When are they replacing the Fox? Not soon enough!!!!!!! :lol: The Lupo was way better. They should bring that back with the new "family face". It would look brilliant. 8)

It is insane though... £14,000 for a Polo. £14,000!! Can get the Fiat 500 Arbarth for that kind of money!

Compare it to the prices of other similar cars in the segment mate. The Polo comes in cheaper than a lot! I was surprised to see certain models of the Fiesta are more expensive with less equipment. And with better residuals than the vast majority of it's competitors you may be buying high but you'll also be selling high. :grin: :lol:

Fair enough comment. But the Fiesta is a quality piece of kit nowadays and is 3k cheaper for a similar engine and spec. Plus I bet you can negotiate a better deal from Ford. You could buy a very nice VR for that change :grin:

It is insane though... £14,000 for a Polo. £14,000!! Can get the Fiat 500 Arbarth for that kind of money!

Yeah kinda my point I think. The engines just dont stack up to the cost of the car. The 1.2 is sh@t and the 1.4 is woefully inadequate in a 14k + car.

The Gti is probably gonna be £19k!

Drove it back to back against 8 of its main competitors and I have to say even from an independent view point (if I can be independent any more!) that the 1.4 petrol Polo was far and away the best car there.

So was it really better handling than a Mini Cooper, Fiesta Zetec S, or a Seat Ibiza Sport?

So was it really better handling than a Mini Cooper, Fiesta Zetec S, or a Seat Ibiza Sport?

Well, the mini and Seat weren't there and having driven neither I can't really comment on those but yes, personally I found it a more pleasing car to drive than the Fiesta. But to be fair I was so horrified by the appalling interior of the Fiesta I didn't notice the drive much. :lol:

i had a brand new mini clubman the other week while my bmw was having the rear bumper painted (dont ask)dumb arse van driver

it was the 1.6 oil burner version and i have to say its a fantastic LITTLE car but would i pay 19k for it for the missus ??

no chance she loved it but would want an R32 instead :D :D :D good girl :clap:

i had a brand new mini clubman the other week while my bmw was having the rear bumper painted (dont ask)dumb arse van driver

it was the 1.6 oil burner version and i have to say its a fantastic LITTLE car but would i pay 19k for it for the missus ??

no chance she loved it but would want an R32 instead :D :D :D good girl :clap:

Mate, hang on to her with both hands! :lol:

they are double dear i looked a couple of the works mini's and they were 21 k second hand i could not beleve it

im glad she wants an R32 really i am

The Mini is insanely overpriced, no doubt about it. The Clubman has grown on me - I initially really hated it! But the price is ridiculous. Could virtually get a new Scirocco for that!!

Classic case of picing stuff at a level that people are still prepared to pay - the new Polo is at the top end when compared to the competition. However a similarly powerful Fiesta is the same price as a Polo 1.2 SE but does without alloy wheels, electric rear windows, stability control and air con that are all standard on the Polo.

Autocar tested the Polo this week and it just seems to follow the normal Polo recipe - take a Golf and reduce in size by 15% - seems to be a formula that works for them, certainly wouldn't recommend a Polo to anyone whose main priority was a fulfilling driving experience

For less that £15k you can buy an Alfa Veloce Mito with the cracking 155TB engine. I test drove one and thought it was brilliant. Far better value and better looking (controversial!) than what I suspect the new Polo will look like :ignore: