Sign in to follow this  
Furkz

Tyres Again

Hello ppl, i need some new tyres specially because the sh1tty ones i have at the mo are seriously crapp in the wet but notbad in the dry. What i am after is a excellent all round tyre , specially one i can trust in the wet and do more thatn 25mph..i have been out in Andis's with Toyo's and i am well impressed just wondering what the Yoko's are in comparison

Toyo Proxes T1-S

Yoko AVS SPORT

Yoko A539

These are the tyres i am looking at and would like them to work in the wet for me, i will prob go for Toyo unless u guys change my mind.. The A539 are around £15 cheaper per tyre and was wondering what they are like compared to the others, The Toyos and AVS are same sorta price... Also what they like on wear and tear..

Many Thanks in advance Furki

Had a set of A539's & Goodyear F1 eagles, which I found were great in the wet...

Hey Rob, I got a pair of them uniroyls for mrs's car form Motech, not a bad tyre, how you finding yours?

I think the A539s are apparently crap in the wet

Nah, I've been running A539s on my 'rado since I got it and am seriously impressed with them in both wet and dry conditions... The only critisism about them in the wet is that they keep gripping and just let go... There's no warning skitter or anything, they just go... :? It does take an awful lot of trying to make 'em let go though! :wink: :lol: 8)

Agree with axactly what Henny has said about the Yoko's as thats what I have now.

But before these I had the Toyo's and couldn't get over how well they stuck in the wet! t

N when they did let go you felt it coming more than you do with the Yoko's. They are deffinatl;y better wet road tyres

Didn't rate A539s when I had them on my Golf tbh.....

I find F1 and Bridgestone rubber to be phenomenal in the wet, so much so, that they actually seem to grip better in the wet than in the dry!

K

Agree with the F1's, they are great in the wet however Goodyear do a cheaper directional tyre that is also great in the wet! Think they worked out at £50 fitted for 185/60/14 on a Golf 16v.

My 2 pence.

I rate the 539s highly in the dry and wet on my G60 Golf. Michelin Exalto is another top tyre both wet and dry. I have used both on the track, to good effect too. Roundabouts are twitchy in the wet, due to the suspension, rollbars nand diesel!!

I have Toyos on my MK3 and they seem pretty good. But the car is not as stiff in the suspesion dept, so feels quite different.

Gavin

Agree with the F1's, they are great in the wet however Goodyear do a cheaper directional tyre that is also great in the wet! Think they worked out at £50 fitted for 185/60/14 on a Golf 16v.

Eagle Ventura?

I now run toyo proxes and they are superb in both wet and dry conditions I used to run avon zz3's and they were of no comparison to the toyo's I dont know what the 539's are like but have had yoko a520's before and found that they were good in the dry but crap in the wet and coz they were a soft compound tyre they only lasted 8k.

sorry but i hate Yokohama's

Had on my standard mkI wheels and one bubbled up badly so sent it back and they blamed it on me :mad:

they werent that good either

Ive run two sets of Goodyear F1's and they are amazing!!!!! in the wet and dry and wouldnt buy anything else

Ive also heard Toyo Proxies are good but hcan wear down quickly

just my 2p's worth

I have 539's and there not promoted as a wet trye but seem to grip really well in both wet and dry conditions, very good tyre for the money and wear alot less quickly than the Toyo T1S's which I found to be crap in the wet!

Tyres, brakes and oil queries are always subjective anyway....so just stick with what you like.

One person may find a tyre good because his/her suspension is fully sorted and the next person will think the same tyre is crap because their suspension isn't, ahem Supercharged *cough* track rod end *cough* :lol:

K

Had a set of A539's & Goodyear F1 eagles, which I found were great in the wet...

Hey Rob, I got a pair of them uniroyls for mrs's car form Motech, not a bad tyre, how you finding yours?

Must of been thinking of an older model of yokos :roll:

Alrite Bally, im pretty pleased with them. Not sure if there properly bed in yet but compared to the old set (3 different makes :shock: ) they're bloody brilliant - both in wet and dry. Excellent for the money IMO

You got some new coilovers and wheels then?

Must of been thinking of an older model of yokos :roll:

Alrite Bally, im pretty pleased with them. Not sure if there properly bed in yet but compared to the old set (3 different makes :shock: ) they're bloody brilliant - both in wet and dry. Excellent for the money IMO

You got some new coilovers and wheels then?

I found the Polo sticks to the road alot better now :wink:

as for the other Q's.. you have PM..

From a value for money point of view i would buy some Toyo T1's from here http://www.mytyres.co.uk/start.html for £64 each inc postage and VAT for 17's!

I do use A539's though and they are a great tyre although not as good as the A520's they replaced but they do last longer and are 'better' in the wet.

I do use A539's though and they are a great tyre although not as good as the A520's they replaced but they do last longer and are 'better' in the wet.

yeah, I tend to agree...

A509 = Brilliant in the dry, deadly in the wet, last 5 minutes...

A520 = Very Very good in the dry, un-nerving in the wet, last 8 to 10K...

A539 = Very good in the dry, good in the wet to a point, last about 15 to 18K...

I can't wait for the next version, with any luck they should be good in both wet and dry and last AGES... :wink: 8)

hello just been down to a local tyre place and been chatting to a few old guys, coz they normally know there stuff and i have been told that the tyres i have mentioned above are sh1t siply because they wear out way to quick and the tyre i should be looking at is the Michelin Pilot sport/exalto/F1 and Pilot Sport 2 these tyres apparently perform in the wet and dry and last 2 to 3 times longer that other brands like toyo/yoko....... i think they mave have a point and they may last longer but not that much longer and also i didnt see any other brands on their shelves lol

so ae michelin worth a look,,, they are are £126 :-( so dunno if i be getting them

CHEERS FOR THE QUICK RESPONSE EVERY1 KEEP IT UP ;-)

hello just been down to a local tyre place and been chatting to a few old guys, coz they normally know there stuff and i have been told that the tyres i have mentioned above are sh1t siply because they wear out way to quick and the tyre i should be looking at is the Michelin Pilot sport/exalto/F1 and Pilot Sport 2 these tyres apparently perform in the wet and dry and last 2 to 3 times longer that other brands like toyo/yoko....... i think they mave have a point and they may last longer but not that much longer and also i didnt see any other brands on their shelves lol

so ae michelin worth a look,,, they are are £126 :-( so dunno if i be getting them

Yep michelin pilot sports (the new ones) are probably the best tyre you can buy however they won't last you a significantly longer time and you could buy two of the Toyo's I quoted above for the price of the michelin so the Toyo's would last longer :D Plus if you get a puncture £130 is a lot to replace a tyre! :cry:

Pilot Sport are £102 each on 205x50x15 86Y so they're not financially viable.

Pirelli seem to be standard fitment on high performance cars, are they worth a look?

Leonard many thanks for the link......thats a real cheap price for the tyres i think Toyos are coming next week-ish unless u boyz come up with somethineg else lol

G-Lader wrote:

Eagle Ventura?

Thats them, Goodyear Eagle Ventura, very good tyres considering the price.

I have just replaced all four tyres on my VR6 with Yokohama AVS Sports and have to say I am simply gob smacked with the amount of grip I have in ANY conditions!!!

Yokohama seem to have sorted out the problems with wet roads - as it is now rated AA according to the side of tyre!

The other plus is I had four fitted / balanced / etc for £240 all in :D

Try em!!!

Pilot Sport are £102 each on 205x50x15 86Y so they're not financially viable.

Pirelli seem to be standard fitment on high performance cars, are they worth a look?

I used to swear by Pirelli P6000 great all round performance tyre, don't know if they are available still though and if they have changed at all.