Sign in to follow this  
Dutch24V

Moving front door forward?

Is there anyway to move a front door forward by a few mm other than removing it and fitting a spacer between the hinge and body?

My passenger door sits 2mm or so back from where it's supposed to sit and there is a larger than normal gap between the front edge of the door and the body. Last time it rained hard I discovered a large pool of water in the passenger footwell. Guess the gap is too much and the door is not sealing properly on the door seals?

Dutch

theres a bit of tweeking when you loosen and tighten the hinges, both on the door and the hinge mount i seem to remember. been a while, toledo used to leak when it rained hard but i cheated and bent the door.

real hard job on your tod though. two man job id say

dont remove it, just loosen it, cut an n-shaped spacer you can slide in and tigtehn up. Job done! Well thats what i did anyway about 5 years back and its still ok.

Cool. I seem to remember a bodyshop adjusting a door about 8 years ago when some idiot Dutch cyclist rode into it, but couldn't remember how they did it. I'll give it ago over the weekend - with a mate or two for extra support :)

Fla, call me stupid, but what do you mean exactly by N-shaped spacer?

Dutch

Cut part of the washer out so it will slide over the thread, then clamp it up. Saves you taking the door off.

When you say move the door 'forward', forward as in towards the front of the car - i.e. Wing to door gap, or forwards towards the rear of the car - i.e. door to quarter panel gap?

Door to quarter panel gap = N shaped washers as already mentioned.

Door to wing gap = Not possible in situ. You have to either move the wing back (easy to do) to remove the door and grind down the hinge plates (not so easy!).

Do the leading edges of both wings align with the headlights and bonnet properly?

The book procedure involves a special tool that fits on the studs on the hinges, the door is then tweaked back and forth and for alignment using that.

Sorry, not a very clear description but I meant forward as in towards the front of the car, so looks like some washers will be required.

I have the Bentley manual so when I get home I'll have a look and see what it says too - didn't think of that.

Kev, everything else lines up perfectly. The doors were removed for the respray and ever since we refitted them the passanger door hasn't lined up properly. The gap from door to rear quarter is only a couple of mm's, but the gap to the front wing is more like 5-6mm. I hope this is the cause of the leak as the front window was replaced too and if that's leaking I'll have to take it back to get it re-sealed.

I'll have a look at the weekend.

Cheers,

Dutch

..just re-read your post Kev and looks like washers won't help then?

From what I can see if I use a washer the door will be moved slightly out at the hinge (which is also good as it's also 1-2mm in from sitting flush with the wing) and forwards - ie. towards the front wing?

Dutch

Yeah, if you put washers behind the hinge, it will push the door towards the quarter panel more unfortunately.

It's very odd this has only happened since the respray. Has the wing moved, or did the hinges get bent slightly when removing the door?

No nothing like that. It Is indeed strange, but i'll have a look over the weekend to see what has happened.

The wing hasn't moved though as it lines up with the bonnet and headlights perfectly. The door is defo the problem as the gap to the rear quarter is smaller than normal too? I didn't actually remove the door - just put it back so maybe the hinge did get bent? I doubt it though as it would take quite a force to do that wouldn't it?

Dutch

I thought there was some play back and forwards if you loosen the bolts on the door?? Havnt pissed about with corrado doors yet though