Sign in to follow this  
bigrichi

Tips to remove wing mirror and door handle

Hi Folks,

Some scrote keyed my car a while back and I am getting it painted tomorrow but to save a bit of money I am going to do some of the prep myself.

Can somebody post a quick guide to removing the wing mirror and the door handle??

Thanks

door handle has a screw on the inside of the door, thats it really,

mirrors require you do turn the mirror all the way so that you can see the 2 screws that hold it on

both have looms attached with need disconnecting

Dont forget that for some reason VW decided to reverse the thread on that door handle screw!! so it needs to be turned Clockwise to undo :cuckoo: (well it does on mine anyway

once you have undone the door handle and got one side free, turn the whole handle up through 90 degrees to how it normally sits then pull it out,.

i found it easier

And if you've never removed the door handle before then the wiring will be clipped to the inside edge of the door (a right pain to get it undone without breaking the clips).

Dont forget that for some reason VW decided to reverse the thread on that door handle screw!! so it needs to be turned Clockwise to undo :cuckoo: (well it does on mine anyway

only on the later models !

Cheers folks,

Glad its nothing too complicated. The guy said could mask it but think would be a better job if they come off.

Cant wait to have a nice fresh side of paint :D

You have to remove the door card to get the handle out as the handle wiring connector is attached to the inside of the door.

having a think about removing the handle,

Cant be as simple as one screw shirley?? will it not be attached to the latch mechanism etc??

No, that is totally separate. I have my door in bits atm, door handle (to open the door with) stays in place attached to the door, then the door card goes on and finally the pull with the mirror switches (late models) screws over the top.

Cant be as simple as one screw shirley?? will it not be attached to the latch mechanism etc??

It really is only one screw, it's got a little hammer on it which strikes the door pin when you operate the handle - it's not directly connected to anything (except for a couple of electrical wires for the central locking).

It really is only one screw, it's got a little hammer on it which strikes the door pin when you operate the handle - it's not directly connected to anything (except for a couple of electrical wires for the central locking).

Yes this statement is correct, but getting the cable unconnected/unclipped is where you have to take the door card off.