Sign in to follow this  
V-Dubstar

Front bumper smashed in!! Repair quotes...

Can u believe my frustration/anger/dissapointment (u get the picture!!) when I went out to the car this morning to take me mum down the train station... :bad-words:

Corrado92.pdfIMG_0165.JPG[/attachment:2q3px6cl]

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfIMG_0166.JPG[/attachment:2q3px6cl]

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfIMG_0167.JPG[/attachment:2q3px6cl]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfIMG_0168.JPG[/attachment:2q3px6cl]

IMG_0169.JPG[/attachment:2q3px6cl]

:bad-words: :mad2: :pale: :censored:

It seems to me that someone must've been turning around in my street (which is awkward to do sometimes), and has plowed into my bumper and then fecked off!! :bad-words:

All I can say about this is Im soul-destroyed.

So...seeing as I have no idea really about cars, I was hoping for some advice please! I think obviously I need a new bumper, its a '94 VR6, so this just means I need a late bumper right? The indicators/fogs are ok (both fogs were cracked before :lol: )

So is it a case of getting another bumper in my colour code (how often would that happen lol), or getting a bumper and spraying it? Would I have it sprayed the colour code seperate and then bolt it on, or have it blended? :confused4: U can see from the 1st pic that the bumper has slightly twisted, is this gonna affect the mounting of it would u reckon? From what I can tell it wasn't a high-speed collision, but someone reversing or going forward slowly but surely into my car :bad-words:

Another worry of mine is the last 2 pix - the colour coded bit under the grill and badge, is slightly bent. Is this part of the chassis itself and need fabricating back to original shape and then painting? :confused4:

Thanks for all advice, as u can tell this hasn't started my wknd off to a good start :(

Total :censored: arent they! :bad-words:

Sorry to hear about this dude.

Personally, you'd be best trying to source a bumper in the same colour.. cheaper solution. The bit under the badge you refer to is the slam panel, there's more of it then just that one thin metal strip. Lift the bonnet and you will see the rest of it - the headlights, grille and radiator brackets all fit onto this one piece. Again if you could get a secondhand one in the same colour it just bolts on. The bumper needs to come off to remove this anyway.

Wow that's bad luck, feel for you. Looks as if they must have given it a fair old whack to distort it that much? No chance of getting the culprit? If its someone who lives in the street rather than a visitor then there's probably going to be some corresponding damage on their vehicle that might point you in the right direction.

I might have a spare bumper avaialable next year but I doubt if you want to wait that long.

Body shops can work wonders so I wouldn't be too downhearted about the other damage until you've had them look at it.

Total :censored: arent they! :bad-words:

Sorry to hear about this dude.

Personally, you'd be best trying to source a bumper in the same colour.. cheaper solution. The bit under the badge you refer to is the slam panel, there's more of it then just that one thin metal strip. Lift the bonnet and you will see the rest of it - the headlights, grille and radiator brackets all fit onto this one piece. Again if you could get a secondhand one in the same colour it just bolts on. The bumper needs to come off to remove this anyway.

Ok thanks man. Gonna be a long time waiting for the same colour tho dontcha reckon? I'll put a wanted post up and see what happens. What kinda price am I lookin at for a bumper and slam panel if u know? Really can't afford this right now :( The damage to the slam panel isn't great at all, but if I can locate a good condition one i guess thats the best option?

Wow that's bad luck, feel for you. Looks as if they must have given it a fair old whack to distort it that much? No chance of getting the culprit? If its someone who lives in the street rather than a visitor then there's probably going to be some corresponding damage on their vehicle that might point you in the right direction.

I might have a spare bumper avaialable next year but I doubt if you want to wait that long.

Body shops can work wonders so I wouldn't be too downhearted about the other damage until you've had them look at it.

Thanks dude - I've been up and down the street about 10times this morning already inspecting all the cars :lol:

No luck yet Im afraid. Yeh I know someone who knows someone who does a lot of VW work, so I'll get on the phone in a bit. Thanks man what colour is the bumper, not dragon green i take it? :lol:

Gutted for you, but at least it's not been flattened by a truck- hopefully you can repair it.

It looks to me like it's been hit by a towbar?? Just the way it's only distorted in one area and its been pushed in quite far. Not that I suggest you key your neighbour's car with a caravan as I may be wrong!

Gutted for you, but at least it's not been flattened by a truck- hopefully you can repair it.

It looks to me like it's been hit by a towbar?? Just the way it's only distorted in one area and its been pushed in quite far. Not that I suggest you key your neighbour's car with a caravan as I may be wrong!

:lol: Yeh that's what I thought. Even If I find the culprit, if they haven't bothered to let me know about the damage then I imagine wherever the vehicle is they've made an attempt to remove all evidence. :(

Just to clarify - do I need a late spec slam panel? Or are they all the same? :confused4:

:lol: Yeh that's what I thought. Even If I find the culprit, if they haven't bothered to let me know about the damage then I imagine wherever the vehicle is they've made an attempt to remove all evidence. :(

Just to clarify - do I need a late spec slam panel? Or are they all the same? :confused4:

Late slam panel and late bumper.

That's disheartening :( :(

I agree it does look as if it's been done by a tow-bar - and it 'may' be possible that if it was a big 4x4 noisy diesel people carrier type, then it's just possible that they may not have been aware that they had reversed into you. I know that's a long-shot, but ... ... ...

And, as has been mentioned, some bodyshops can seem to work wonders in stretching out plastic bits.

On a positive note, tho, I'm pleased to see that your nice shiny VR6 badge seems to have survived unscathed :) ( In-joke ! )

On a positive note, tho, I'm pleased to see that your nice shiny VR6 badge seems to have survived unscathed :) ( In-joke ! )

:lol: Yeh I was pleased that the badge didn't get hurt :D

Thanks man, appreciate everyone's comments. Maybe located a bumper, gonna pop down the bodyshop tomoz and see what the story is! Hopefully get it fixed soon :D

I think your first photo looks like you car is doing an impression on Sly Stallone. Lets hope he does a Rocky on them.........gets battered but kicks their @ss!! :clap:

Got a couple of quotes today...

For spraying the bumper and bending back the slam panel, the quotes I had were £150-£160.

This sound about right?

sounds good to me :D my bmw got scraped by a cock driver at my work and to respray just the rear bumber as all he did was scratch it cost £450 :D

VR and valver Slam panels are different :wave:

Cheers man, Im just gonna have it re-fabricated (bent back out lol)

U ever use Alan Dixon's body repairs Kempy?

nope, is he in the port?

Caerleon he is, went upto him (well, one of his employees Jon Trewey) and seemed ok. My mate Tim (one with the black Polo) has a had a bit of work up there incl smoothed bumpers etc and they seem to know their stuff and friendly at the same time.

Think Im gonna take it there coz I think he'd put a bit of love into the work rather than 'just another job'

nope, is he in the port?

Caerleon he is, went upto him (well, one of his employees Jon Trewey) and seemed ok. My mate Tim (one with the black Polo) has a had a bit of work up there incl smoothed bumpers etc and they seem to know their stuff and friendly at the same time.

Think Im gonna take it there coz I think he'd put a bit of love into the work rather than 'just another job'

Im gonna need a body guy when my silver car is running. hopefully he's good. If its the same Tim that I might know, he's into polishes and detailing right? :lol: