Sign in to follow this  
sprinterVR6

Audi Coupe's - So cheap!!

just thought I'd see if anyone else is amazed at how cheap good/low milage Audi copue's are going for these days.

Very similier car to a C (don't shoot me!) but just so so cheap - whats the deal with this?

I mean build quality/prestige/decent'ish performance and not bad looking, yet selling at less then 2k for 1995 in great condition w/FSH :shrug: :shrug:

http://www.pistonheads.com/SALES/1325275.htm

I had one of these before i got my first corrado, great cars, solid too, felt that if you did have a bump.......you'd probably have won :lol:

Based on my recent experience of trying to buy one its because they have corrosion problem. Every single one I looked at had rot around the windscreen frame and most had at least two badly crumbling wheelarches.

Ended up buying an A6 2.8 (30V) for even less money and in far better condition

I wish my money could have stretched to an S2. Was at an Audi Driver magazine tracjk day a few weeks ago at Castle Combe and it did seem as if S and RS Audis were in much better conditon, I'm sure down to them being better looked after as opposed to being better built.

I was genuinely shocked at how poor the condition of the cars I looked at were - the A6 I have ended up buying is in a totally different league

It's a real buyers market at the moment - you can buy some astonishing cars for under 5k these days. I've perved on autotrader at Audi S4's, BMW 750's, Merc E55 AMG's, Audi S8's and so forth all for under £5,000... it's pretty staggering what kind of car you can get for half the price of a new Ford Fiesta!

It's almost (almost!) making me want to forget about buying a Corrado VR and aim a little bit higher, but at least the VR isn't a nightmare to insure / repair / tax, etc... god knows what big jobs on a V12 BMW would cost!!

The one i had didn't have any rust.........that was 5+years ago mind, probably fell to bits by now :lol: .......There is one parked round the corner from where i live, i think i'll have a wee nosey, while trying not to look like i'm about to break into it :D

I drove an S2 ten years ago and it felt like a rocket ship! Be interesting to drive one now

I bought my first C (1.8 16v) off a mate that had just got a 2.0 16v Audi Coupe, Had a little race and the C battered the Audi, still like them though and agree they're a cool car for not much money, perfect little track toy

Apart from the fact that they handle like boats!

Rubbish... boats go round corners without falling over! :lol:

Actually a Coupe with "sorted" suspension handle pretty well considering.... they weigh about 300 tonnes... :epicfail:

Even the S2 is reasonable money now - http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1101591.htm

:censored: you Kev!

I thought these things were fully Galvanised, like all Audis??

So what's with the rot? :shrug:

LOL

As others have said, they shouldn't rot, but my Dad had an Audi 80 back in the day and that rotted around the rear arches. IIRC, didn't Audi only galvanise the main panels - doors, wings, bonnet, roof etc? I know they're fully galvanised now, but the 80s/90s ones were partially galvo'd, or so I seem to remember at least.

Do they still do that Procton 10 thing where a crash tugs the seatbelts tighter?

Procon 10 went out before production of the 80 stopped, the public seemingly preferred airbags and Procon 10 was incompatible with a drivers airbag as it pulled the wheel so far away from the driver that the airbag would have needed to be so big that the steering wheel boss would have been about 3 feet wide

:lol:

My Dad's MK2 80GL had Procon 10 in it. Kept asking my Dad to drive into a wall so we could see it work, but he didn't want to for some reason :shrug:

Yeah I remember the airbag - P 10 incompatibility now, thanks for the reminder Andy!