Sign in to follow this  
jazzdevil

700bhp 1968 Saab!

8) I like that. My dad had 3 Saab 99s when I was younger, none of them went like that though.

My dad had 3 Marinas...it was so embarrassing :mad2:

:norty: Mmmm, Morris Marinas.

None of my friends had a clue what my dad's car was, but I liked them. His second one had twin carbs, and his last one has stripes which ran from the top of the C pillar round the rear windows and along the whole length of the car. It was red, so people always used to say it was like the starsky and hutch car.

I think I'd take the 727hp Porsche 944 in this month's PPC mag over that Saab. At least that will handle! :lol:

My Dad had a putrid brown Marina too. And an Allegro, and an Ambassador! The Vauxhall Victor he had was a good peice of retro cool though 8)

I'm with kevhaywire the PPC Porsche looks like a much better proposition to me. That said, for sheer level of "streetsleeping" of a 700bhp Saab 99 takes some beating. You'd need a 2CV or an Allegro or something to better the Saab's basic concept

The wacky scandanavians... the skills and ideas of so many of those cars frankly make the UK scene look like the efforts of small children. Anyone remember that Matthais Vocks Volvo Amazon? (http://www.autoblog.com/2006/11/01/sema ... -stunner/2)

:norty: Mmmm, Morris Marinas.

None of my friends had a clue what my dad's car was, but I liked them. His second one had twin carbs, and his last one has stripes which ran from the top of the C pillar round the rear windows and along the whole length of the car. It was red, so people always used to say it was like the starsky and hutch car.

Transpose your [edit] [strike:37ayben5]Morris Marina[/strike:37ayben5] Saab's [edit] with Renault 17 and you have my childhood too... firstly a twin-carbed, Gordini fettled Renault 17 TL, then a Hutch-esque red-with-white-stripe 17 TS. I loved them both and not only did no-one really get what they were, but I never saw another other than the one's Dad had and they're like hen's teeth these days ('faultless' French build quality probably has something to do with that!)

renault+17+(2).jpg

renault+17+(1).jpg

The wacky scandanavians... the skills and ideas of so many of those cars frankly make the UK scene look like the efforts of small children. Anyone remember that Matthais Vocks Volvo Amazon? (http://www.autoblog.com/2006/11/01/sema ... -stunner/2)

Yeah that Volvo is a work of art!!

I hear what you're saying about their skills compared to ours, but a lot of the top cars are built by people already in the motor trade, so have access to all the machinery and equipment they need, and know how to use it!

/\ 70's brilliance... I wonder how many more cars Renault and Saab shifted thanks to "it's almost like Starsky & Hutch" decal application :lol:

Should we be expecting a glut of white-with-red-stripe cars and black-red-stripe vans around the release of next years A-team movie?

the-ateam_article.jpg

/\ 70's brilliance... I wonder how many more cars Renault and Saab shifted thanks to "it's almost like Starsky & Hutch" decal application :lol:

Should we be expecting a glut of white-with-red-stripe cars and black-red-stripe vans around the release of next years A-team movie?

the-ateam_article.jpg

For Gods sake!! Is nothing sacred anymore??

new knight rider - Rubbish

new battlestar galactica - Rubbish

And now they are going to ruin A-team... Some things should be left as they are and you can't be messing with the A-team... Who else can build a tank in a hayloft with nothing more than 1 pitchfork lots of hay a welder (why DIDN'T any bad guy take this out before locking them up??) and a few sheets of corrugated iron from the wall???

For Gods sake!! Is nothing sacred anymore??

new knight rider - Rubbish

new battlestar galactica - Rubbish

I know this is in danger of going off-topic but I have to take issue with your analysis. The 'old' Battlestar Galactica was a piece of Glen A Larson rubbish that was so dreadful even in 1979 that a Star Wars loving 12 year old Corozin stopped watching it after about 4 episodes.

By comparison the modern revision was vastly superior in every single way, despite the storyline being padded out in a number of episodes.