Sign in to follow this  
kebabman

Ex-corrado owners, what do you drive now?

Was looking through some old pics on my computer and found some of my old ice gray violet VR6, reminded me of what a great a car it was to own. :notworthy:

Nothing I've had since has quite had the same charm as the good 'ol C despite them being faster, more modern, more flashy etc. The VR6 definitely has a je ne sais qua over and above it's price/power that no other car I've had has quite managed to replicate. What do other ex-C owners drive now and do you miss your C or am I :cuckoo: ?

VW Passat Estate :( Diesel :( 1.9tdi :( 110bhp version :( :sleeping:

Replaced my Corrado G60 :luvlove: :notworthy:

owned my corrado 9+years took something good to get me to move on but right up to the day it went it was still a great car and still put a big smile on my face

replaced it with this , long story

P6210382.jpg

Rob

Still got a Corrado - would only give it up for a proper car like Carpy's... !! If I was faced with the choice of a Ford Focus or something equally grim, I'd stick with the Corrado until it was literally undrivable! :)

My new motor as of last week:

01-plate.jpg[/attachment:3r641smw]

SAAB 9-5 2.2TiD

So far it is a different experience! Went for the SAAB as the pushchair and other baby associated goods fit in the boot with out a hint of a problem. Cruise control, climate control etc and as for it being diesel...well 28mpg on the corrado has gone up to 43mpg, which although for a diesel isn't amazing, compared to the corrado it's a big change.

Just been up to Birmingham yesterday, down to Chelmsford and today and only just scraping half a tank of fuel used...it's not the same but it make a nice change for now!

My G60's were not daily drivers so not directly replaced, project / work in progress car is the OH's Golf V6 4Motion, whilst I have an Audi A6 2.8 30V which I also have plans for

I had a VR6 Storm for a couple of years and loved it. Then I decided to go "sensible" and bought something that wasn't too heavy on fuel. Got bored with that and went looking for another VR6. Sadly, I couldn't find a decent one for sale (Or more like, people MASSIVELY over-value the Corrado's they have for sale!!!).

Now drive a 2000, 3 litre Alfa GTV V6 24V - That thing is an absolute monster, all for WAAAAY less than most people are asking for an average condition VR6/Storm, and probably a rarer sight on the road, too.

Momo leather, air con, climate control, 17 inch teledials, 220bhp, Aero-kit, Autodelta quad pipe exhaust, 0 - 60 in 6.4 secs, 70k with FARSH - All for £3500...

I loved my old Corrado and thought it was a cracking car, but when put head to head and for less cash than people are asking for an average VR6, the Alfa wins by a long way, every time.

I had a VR6 Storm for a couple of years and loved it. Then I decided to go "sensible" and bought something that wasn't too heavy on fuel. Got bored with that and went looking for another VR6. Sadly, I couldn't find a decent one for sale (Or more like, people MASSIVELY over-value the Corrado's they have for sale!!!).

Now drive a 2000, 3 litre Alfa GTV V6 24V - That thing is an absolute monster, all for WAAAAY less than most people are asking for an average condition VR6/Storm, and probably a rarer sight on the road, too.

Momo leather, air con, climate control, 17 inch teledials, 220bhp, Aero-kit, Autodelta quad pipe exhaust, 0 - 60 in 6.4 secs, 70k with FARSH - All for £3500...

I loved my old Corrado and thought it was a cracking car, but when put head to head and for less cash than people are asking for an average VR6, the Alfa wins by a long way, every time.

......but doesnt the build quality do your head in ??

Have you still got the 996 Rob?

yes 996 c4s is my new toy had it about 5 months and put about 3K on it over the summer it won't be used much over the winter , but i think the point that i was trying to make is the porsche cost 30 x as much as i sold the corrado for but the smile on my face isn't 30 x as wide , don't get me wrong the porsche is a monster of a dream car but the corrado is not that far away

Rob

"......but doesnt the build quality do your head in ??"

Not really, feels incredibly solid. Did my research before I bought it, being slightly dubious about Alfa's reputation of poor build quality. But scanning the forums etc, it seems the Alfa is a really reliable car.

I wasn't dissing the Corrado at all, loved my old Storm, but when you look at what else is out there for similar money, it can really turn your head...!

"......but doesnt the build quality do your head in ??"

Not really, feels incredibly solid. Did my research before I bought it, being slightly dubious about Alfa's reputation of poor build quality. But scanning the forums etc, it seems the Alfa is a really reliable car.

I wasn't dissing the Corrado at all, loved my old Storm, but when you look at what else is out there for similar money, it can really turn your head...!

....totally agree mate about whats out there at the moment, theres a lot of car for little money, GTV included. I just said it as I have a GTV cup, (since new) and its build quality is dreadful, my VR is in better shape inside and its 10 years older :eek: ........both great cars though.

"....totally agree mate about whats out there at the moment, theres a lot of car for little money, GTV included. I just said it as I have a GTV cup, (since new) and its build quality is dreadful, my VR is in better shape inside and its 10 years older ........both great cars though."

Surprised to hear your comments on build quality mate. Although I've not had mine that long, it feels really solid, all the electrics/switches work etc, leather unmarked etc...! Touch wood it stays that way!

sold my fully working alpine white valver and got this:

DSCF1727.jpg

complete bare shell - on with rebuilding it. You never know one day i might drive it!!!

VW Passat Estate :( Diesel :( 1.9tdi :( 110bhp version :( :sleeping:

Replaced my Corrado G60 :luvlove: :notworthy:

i dont know what it is but something tells me your not happy with the change :lol:

I sold my VR6 and bought an Audi TT 225 because it was "too much of a bargain to turn down", regretted doing it from the moment i saw i drive away and soon got bored of the TT and had it remapped to 260ish, it was then a very competent car, effortless to go places at a good pace, but too functional for it's own good - it had no charm it was just flashy (to the layman, to my mates it was always the squashed beetle) and overly easy/safe to drive. Then got too bored of that and replaced it with an E60 M5, now that was quite a monster, loved the HUD and the M-sport active seats, and it was to be fair pretty damn fast, but the paddle shift gearbox was very poor for traffic/parking - the wrong combination of auto+manual - and 11MPG was funny until I worked out it cost me nearly 90quid for 200 miles in petrol alone.

http://www.sp30.co.uk/files/img_0047_169.jpg

I then got a job in the USA and moved over here, figured I'd like something yank so bought a Challenger SRT8. 6.1L V8 425bhp RWD with the best sounding engine in the world - but it weighs over two tonnes and it handles as about as well as my living room sofa, great for burnouts and straight lines, terrible if you actually enjoy going around corners without ending up sat on the door interior. Still this had the most 'Corrado-like' charm of what Ive owned since the C.

http://www.sp30.co.uk/store/IMG_3764.JPG

http://www.sp30.co.uk/store/IMG_0026.JPG

Was good for messing around in the work car park

http://www.sp30.co.uk/store/IMG_0053.JPG

And the ladies like it which was a plus

http://www.sp30.co.uk/files/img_0055-1_513.jpg

Not so hot in the winter though tried to kill me repeatedly so I replace it with this which is what I am driving now

http://www.sp30.co.uk/files/img_0578_114.jpg

http://www.sp30.co.uk/files/img_0576_712.jpg

But still, despite all these, I still had more fun in the VR6 - can't really put my finger on why, I think it was mainly the sound, the VR6 really is one of the best sounding engine ever made, but also it handled in a 'playful' way (ok i did crash it at Outlon but only once). I looked hard for one here in the US, but they're a) really rare and mostly shitters and b) they're all these weird 'SLC' models that have the Golf 2.8 VR6 engine in them, which just wouldnt be the same. One day I'll have another. :(

yes 996 c4s is my new toy had it about 5 months and put about 3K on it over the summer it won't be used much over the winter , but i think the point that i was trying to make is the porsche cost 30 x as much as i sold the corrado for but the smile on my face isn't 30 x as wide , don't get me wrong the porsche is a monster of a dream car but the corrado is not that far away

Rob

Rob how are you finding the running costs and any nasty parts bills as of yet? did you look into 993s at all?

230820091122.jpg

230820091118.jpg

Ive still got corrado Vr6's in my life but now my daily is a 225 TT, cracking car imo, love it! Seems like a modern corrado to me, def needs a remap as corrado feels quicker but overall the TT is an excellent buy for 5-6K. I have shaked the old modding stick at it but the Interior and dash is amazing, cracking timeless design (mk2 TT design i am not a fan of ) quattro and possible 260-270bhp and that audi build quality which made my last mk4 GTi seem a bit cheap.

In saying this I drove my ex s/charged Corrado (mates now got it) and i shared the driving down to players show with him, 2 weeks previously i drove the TT down to E38 show and I felt more at home in the corrado, far more comfort, could of driven all day and all night, you just cant beat that driving posisition.

After the TT theres nothing else id really want, B5/B7 RS4 or 996 however if funds dont allow I could see the an R32 Corrado getting snapped up or built should I ever find time.

Going to be an interesting thread this. 8)

Rob

Well that is good that you still have it. That is what worries me about getting my 'dream car' that the reality won't live up to the dream..

Must admit you probably have my ideal car though within a semi-sensible price bracket. How is it treating you any nasty bills or unexpected surprises?

I am starting to lean towards a newer car now. Though will probably play it sensible with a chipped Golf ED30 or similar.

Matt

But still, despite all these, I still had more fun in the VR6 - can't really put my finger on why, I think it was mainly the sound, the VR6 really is one of the best sounding engine ever made, but also it handled in a 'playful' way (ok i did crash it at Outlon but only once). I looked hard for one here in the US, but they're a) really rare and mostly **** and b) they're all these weird 'SLC' models that have the Golf 2.8 VR6 engine in them, which just wouldnt be the same. One day I'll have another. :(

That is a nice list of nice cars mate!

Would love to have sampled all of those myself.

Have to say though you obviously arent short of a few bob, so why not get yourself a nicely sorted Euro Corrado VR6 and have it imported. I imagine the only thing that would make the Corrado experience any better would be to drive it somewhere nice and sunny!

How are you finding the US, quite fancy a move there myself sometime. Where abouts are you?

Matt

Carpy - that is some Porsche you have. Awesome. And the Kebabman, love the muscle car, engine bay is stunning.

This is my ride - it's basically how I role when I'm cruising, just listening to my old Duran Duran tapes. Wicked.

It's a Renualt Clio 1996 - :brickwall:

But still, despite all these, I still had more fun in the VR6 - can't really put my finger on why, I think it was mainly the sound, the VR6 really is one of the best sounding engine ever made, but also it handled in a 'playful' way (ok i did crash it at Outlon but only once). I looked hard for one here in the US, but they're a) really rare and mostly **** and b) they're all these weird 'SLC' models that have the Golf 2.8 VR6 engine in them, which just wouldnt be the same. One day I'll have another. :(

That is a nice list of nice cars mate!

Would love to have sampled all of those myself.

Have to say though you obviously arent short of a few bob, so why not get yourself a nicely sorted Euro Corrado VR6 and have it imported. I imagine the only thing that would make the Corrado experience any better would be to drive it somewhere nice and sunny!

How are you finding the US, quite fancy a move there myself sometime. Where abouts are you?

Matt

Too much like hard work doing that - I don't have the first idea how to go about importing a car to the US, but I imagine it's a total ball ache. As for sunny, I live in north-east New Jersey pretty close to NYC, it's not so sunny this time of year more like freezing cold and wet. :lol: (soon to be ice/snow - 38degrees today when I was leaving work and winter has only just started :| )

The USA is an awesome place to live I highly recommend it if you get the chance. 8)

This is my ride - it's basically how I role when I'm cruising, just listening to my old Duran Duran tapes. Wicked.

LOL bet you pull some quality MILF with that though!

LOL bet you pull some quality MILF with that though!

It's cougar time! :lol:

Oh another great thing about the US, no French cars. :grin:

I sold my Corrado and bought a Mk4 Golf GTI 1.8t, which is remapped, lowered on Koni suspension and has Audi TT 6 spoke Ronals in graphite.

The Golf is a great car for every day use, but does not have the character and in some places the build quality of the Corrado i.e. rubber paint on the lower half of the dash and door handles, which is easily damaged. I'll probably keep the Golf for a few more years, and hopefully will get it to stage 2 spec (230-240bhp) next year.

Do I miss the Corrado yep :(

:clap: Luckily I only miss the Corrado, because it is off the road for the winter. I bought my Corrado back in January, and still love it as much as before. It's market value is probably around £1k to £1.5k, but someone would have to offer me at least £5k before I'd consider selling it :shrug: