fendervg

Retrofit GRA/Cruise Control

Has anyone had any experience with this particular cruise control kit?

http://www.cum-cartec-shop.de/product_i ... ts_id=1517

It is a German site, but claims to be compatible with the C, and petrol engines that are not drive by wire.

From what I can see, it consists of a control unit, stalk, brake pedal switch, vac motor and throttle cable linkage.

It seems to take a signal from the GALA wire for speed, a switch on the brake pedal, and a vac feed from the brake servo to control the accelerator cable - seems to be a lot less involved thab fitting the whole OEM unit. The description also states that it is type and TUV approved.

Would be an interesting upgrade and nice little feature to have.

I bought the kit, but haven't got around to fitting it yet. It looks relatively easy to fit - I'll see if I can take a few pictures of the contents. I also need to get hold of the correct later style cruise control lever, as the one I have is pre-facelift.

There seem to be two ways of doing cruise control:

- get hold of a full original kit from a Corrado/Golf /Passat and rip everything out and fit - this means taking out the pedal box etc. and means using second hand parts

- fit one of these aftermarket items, the install seems easier, but I don't know anything about how well it works yet, although it is quite a standard retrofit for camper vans and motor homes so I can't see that there should be too many problems.

Of course if you have a conversion to a later engine such as a 1.8T, or a even a diesel, cruise control is a simple plug and play affair that you can turn on in software as it's fly by wire.

Will do - I'm waiting for the stalk to come in, and will take some pictures of the kit contents and various components over the weekend. If you keep an eye on this thread, there will be updates as I go along.

Just speaking to my boss and he had something similar. It did cause the acc pedal to move "on it's own" due to the mechanical link. Which could cause a bit of an unerving feeling. Just thought its worth mentioning

Another update - managed to take some snaps of the cruise control kit:

IMG_0146.jpg[/attachment:29bgm639]

You can see the vac actuator on the left, stalk with loom connectors, the ecu, control loom, throttle cable, brake position switch and mounting parts, including fittings to take a tap from the vaccum lines in the bay.

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfvr6-cruise2.jpg[/attachment:29bgm639]

Fitted the cruise control stalk this evening - looks nice but doesn't do anything yet. The ECU is next, along with the brake pedal switch and the loom connections.

The hardest part of switching over the stalk is removing the lower steering wheel cowl without breaking it - if it's never been off before (unlikely at this stage in a C's life!) it will be secured by 2 screws in the long recesses either side, and possibly another self tapper in the middle section. These screws are a right pain to get back in, so don't be surprised if an alarm fitter just threw them away in exasperation. There are a number of locating tabs and lugs all around the edges and these need to be lined up very carefully - the brittle plastic will break very easily. The screws can still be got new from VW for pennies.

Once in there, and with the wheel off (straighten the steering up and use some chalk to mark the alignment, use a 24mm socket and short extension on the securing nut, unclip the horn wire as well, the horn push cover just prises off), 3 long narrow screws hold the stalks on - a narrow blade flat screwdriver is your friend here, 2 screws at the top, left and right, and one on the bottom left. After that both the wiper and indicator assemblies will be loose, these are a unit that just clips together, some gentle persuasion at the contacts will separate them. Give everything a good clean, expecially the contacts, and some grease on rotating surfaces. The cc stalk just slips on as a straight swap and the 4 pin connector to the loom tucks away into the lower dash on the left. Test everything with the ignition on before putting the wheel back - lights, indicators, hazards, wipers, dip etc. and be carefully that the indicator is in the off position when refitting the wheel so that the self cancelling mech lines up properly.

I've done this on a Golf 2 as well, and it's much the same, so the procedure will be valid for both pre and post facelift cars.

No further updates - current priority is a brake upgrade and refurb and fitting an iPod/iPhone aux adapter to work via the cd changer controls.

PM also sent.

im fitting a oem cruise control kit from my burnt out US g60 onto my europe one when i get back to germany.need one of them vacumn pumps as it got cooked in the fire.

Im pretty sure parts from a passat kit will fit a corrado,can anyone confirm this?ive got the ECU,wiring,pedalbox,hoses and stalk just need the pump

Let us know how this goes. Luckily the previous owner ordered the lot with mine and the CC you will use all the time, its terrific. Useful here in Spain where there is a massive crack down on speeding on the autovias!! Going to the F1 testing in Valencia tomo you can be sure there will be at least 4 traps in the 120km up there!

@Diesel Junior

Not fitted it yet - in typical corrado fashion the sunroof broke, and the aux water pump died and the oil cooler seals need replacing. So the cc has moved down the list. Do you have OEM cc or an aftermarket fit ?

My only problem is where to take the RPM signal from, as I don't have a clutch sensor - I'm thinking the coil.

Looking for updates on this too. It would make my car full-spec with all the options.

I found the stalk for sale here in Germany. Part # 1H0953513D €71.50 exc p&p.

http://www.online-teile.com/vw/advanced_search_result.php?XTCsid=9420b0904a46995713471bdb965dab30&keywords=1H0953513D&x=18&y=6

Watching this with interest, can't be many Cs with this fitted! Probably would be a little easier to fit to mine as it's auto so already has the brake switch and speed wire plumbed to a convenient spot to fit to the gearbox ECU. How does the throttle linkage work, does it just pull/push on the Bowden cable?

Stone

Vacuum pump controlled by the cruise ECU that pulls the cable. Revs are measured from the coil to simulate a clutch sensor.