Sign in to follow this  
foster

Is this a scam?

Im trying to sell my girlfriends mini. Basically I've been contacted by someone (allegedly) from malta.

They have seen the car on pistonheads.

> Hi Alex,

> Ive seen your advert and im interested in your car. Does it have personalised number plates? because I am sending you this email from Malta and would like to purchase as quick as possible. I will be paying in cash, any discounts for this?.

> Thanks,

> Christabelle

>

> My Phone No: 79266736

I WROTE

Hi Christabelle

If you can come and put £7500, in english notes, in my hand its yours. The numberplates are not personalised.

Thanks for you're interest,

Alex

So do you have the v5 documents? Because if we make a deal i will not be coming to pick it up myself, since I have sent the money to an English friend and he will pick it up for me and then ship it to Malta himself. So you will just be involved with the selling of the car. He will pay you right away.

Before any compromises however, I would like to see some pictures of the interior please.

Thanks

I WROTE

I do have the v5 yes, I've attached the only interior picture I have at the moment. I can get some more at the weekend as I get back from work in the dark.

My concern is with all the scams currently going on, unless somebody arrives to pick up the car with the full cash amount then im afraid we are wasting our time.

Thanks,

Alex

Tomorrow i will contact the person who will pick it up, so that he will phone you himself to settle everything. Can you please send me your address and phone number so i can phone you tomorrow. The English guy i told you about, can come pick it up whenever you are available, preferably this week since the trailer will be leaving UK next Thursday.

So now I have no idea whether to take this seriously or not, obviously im not about to send them my full address. The car is very modified so stands out (personally I think it would be a waste of time importing a standard mini) so could this be legit. If not does anyone have any ideas how this is going to go tits up!

Lots of thanks in advance,

Alex

It does sound a bit different and has more detail e.g talking about the reg and V5, than the usual scams but they seem keen on buying a car they don't seem to know very much about!

I'd always be wary but if someone is willing to put cash in your hand, without beating the living shit out of you straight afterwards, what could possibly go wrong :lol:

Sounds fishy to me..

O for Cod's Hake not this again :D

Sorry I will leave :wave:

back to topic :salute:

But if someone arrives with cash, wheres the risk? :shrug:

Thats the only way I'd ever sell a car.

I does sound dodgy though, I always reckon if it sounds like a scam then.. it is.

I've asked them to send me their friends number anyway.

I does sound dodgy though, I always reckon if it sounds like a scam then.. it is.

If you do go ahead with this, might be a good idea to have a intimadating looking mate or a few with you just to be on the safe side.

Sounds fishy to me..

O for Cod's Hake not this again :D

Sorry I will leave :wave:

back to topic :salute:

:nono:

Yeah every time Im asked where it is I just say its in the village near to me anyway. I've asked for the contact in the uk's number so I can bother him instead. It is written in really good english too.

"If you do go ahead with this, might be a good idea to have a intimadating looking mate or a few with you just to be on the safe side."

I always arrange viewings at my mums and shes pretty intimidating. :grin:

I would do as you have. Ask for the others persons contact details to make contact yourself and not give away your address etc unless you are more certain of this being genuine...

If any doubt still arrange to meet elsewhere and not alone.

But, people abroad do agree to buy cars without without having seen them. I'm thinking of a certain G60 that went to Germany after Andy665 helped a complete stranger broker a deal!!!

And if the contact checks out OK where's the problem with cash in hand (allowing for them being forgeries but that's taking things a bit too far).

What's the email address?? Does it sound Maltesse or is it a hotmail type one?

Good luck with the sale :)

I always think that with things like this you should trust your instinct......and by the sounds of it you are not 100% sure, which probably means its best you keep clear.

Just my 2P.

Either way good luck with it.

p.s. can I have your address and telephone number please ? :lol:

Loads and LOADS of fake notes going round the area I work at the moment.

I went and bought a second hand motorbike from a guy last year. Withdrew £4000 in cash directly from the bank, turns out £80 was forged notes when the guy went to pay it in. Thankfully the guy just let it go and trusted that I wasn't scamming him but just beware - you can easily be fleeced with cash.

Walk away I would, unless he can give you a secure bank transfer.

I always think that with things like this you should trust your instinct......and by the sounds of it you are not 100% sure, which probably means its best you keep clear.

Just my 2P.

Either way good luck with it.

p.s. can I have your address and telephone number please ? :lol:

Good shout this... If you aint sure don't get involved... You'll still sell the car so no loss really

Are you all mad? Seriously mate, this is dodgy as hell. Who the hell is actually going to buy a car without ever seeing it? And from Malta, and pay £7500 in cash?!

I'm going to come up with a scam and rob you all blind

Run run run!!!!! :cuckoo:

Are you all mad? Seriously mate, this is dodgy as hell. Who the hell is actually going to buy a car without ever seeing it? And from Malta, and pay £7500 in cash?!

I'm going to come up with a scam and rob you all blind

Run run run!!!!! :cuckoo:

:lol: :lol:

The plot thickens!! Scam or not this is quite fun!

I SENT

The car is located in Langton Matravers, Dorset, South of england *******IT ISNT!!!*******. Whereabouts is your friend coming from?

If you send me your friends number I'll give him a ring as soon as I finish work tomorrow.

THEY SENT

Thats great. If i'm not mistaken right now he's living in London but location is not a problem since this is his job (he is an employee of the Maltese trailer driver that ships cars to Malta, so he does this very often). It is not our first time buying a car from England so exportation should not be a problem. However can you please ring him in the afternoon? because in the morning i will have to contact him to let him know about this since i've just seen the advert this evening. First thing tomorrow i will contact the guy with the trailer again and email you the number of the guy in UK coming to pick it up.

Thanks a lot

The email address is a hotmail.com one.

Reason Im bothering with this is we need the cash as we are in the middle of buying our first house, most other offers have been basically terrible.

I forge cash all the time so know what to look out for.

The plot thickens!! Scam or not this is quite fun!

I SENT

The car is located in Langton Matravers, Dorset, South of england *******IT ISNT!!!*******. Whereabouts is your friend coming from?

If you send me your friends number I'll give him a ring as soon as I finish work tomorrow.

THEY SENT

Thats great. If i'm not mistaken right now he's living in London but location is not a problem since this is his job (he is an employee of the Maltese trailer driver that ships cars to Malta, so he does this very often). It is not our first time buying a car from England so exportation should not be a problem. However can you please ring him in the afternoon? because in the morning i will have to contact him to let him know about this since i've just seen the advert this evening. First thing tomorrow i will contact the guy with the trailer again and email you the number of the guy in UK coming to pick it up.

Thanks a lot

The email address is a hotmail.com one.

Reason Im bothering with this is we need the cash as we are in the middle of buying our first house, most other offers have been basically terrible.

I forge cash all the time so know what to look out for.

Cool, how much do you charge for forged twenties?

Sorry, what did you say your address is?

I know you are out in the day but let me have your address and I'll pop over one evening to see the quality of the forged twenties.

Can come over Monday evening unless you are in during the day then?

Well the cars currently parked in asda carpark in poole BH15 1JQ, but the central locking just packed up and we had to leave all my girlfriends jewellery and cash on the passengers seat with the car unlocked whilst we are shopping. Can you also believe the keys stuck in the ignition?!!

If you're doubting it from the beginning mate, its best to walk away. Would you want to risk it for the sake of a quick sale, regardless if you need the cash or not - plus you could end up with worthless bank notes.

As said there will be others wanting to buy it, you'll just have to wait a little longer thats all.

Well the cars currently parked in asda carpark in poole BH15 1JQ, but the central locking just packed up and we had to leave all my girlfriends jewellery and cash on the passengers seat with the car unlocked whilst we are shopping. Can you also believe the keys stuck in the ignition?!!

How annoying.

If this going to be a recurring problem then as luck would have it I have a storage facility and would be happy to store all your valuables for you while you are sorting the central locking out. Just send all your valuables to my PO box in Birmingham and I will send you a receipt so it is all above board and secure.

On another note I also run a service storing deeds for houses if your, or indeed your mum, are worried about being scammed. Really can't be too careful of the people out there today!

I'd run away from it. Scam 30000000%!

As said before, they will keep phoning your home until you don't answer the phone. And it is then when they'll come to "collect" it...

don't trust any good written words. They know what they are doing ..