Sign in to follow this  
WigsVR6

What to use to remove water after wash?

At the moment I use a leather to wipe off the access water from my car after I've washed it I find it does a good job and finishes off the paint nicely. However with the winter now here, last weekend was cold, I was forever wringing out the thing after every wipe. I was wondering what everyone else uses to do this job and what is the best product to use? Any advice/help would be appreciated.

Thanks Alan

aqua blade, really effective!! available from most car accesorie shops, auto glym also do their own one :D

As do turtle wax! car must be clean though!!!

water blades scratch paint work and are bad bottom line

use a good drying towel

the megs item is good when new but stops working after a 10-15 washes

get a drying towel from clean your car or any of the other car cleaning web sites

i also recomend using a quick detailer b4 you dry your car it eliminates water marks and helps dry the car quicker

megs last touch is great for this

:D :D :D :D :D

Two worst things you can ever use on paintwork are chamois and drying blades - guaranteed to introduce scratches and swirls galore

Good quality drying towel and / or a drying spray (lots to choose from on both counts)are the best way although I'm just about to buy an electric drier from a Group Buy on http://www.detailingworld.co.uk

the drying blade i have is made of synthetic chamois,i have not yet experienced any scratches? been using it now for the last 6 years :confused4: the rubber ones may be a different story ? mine has a chamois leather blade with another lever underneath to wring it out, you still need to use a normal chamois after,just get in the nooks and crannys :D

Warren - I guarantee that light scratching has occurred, might only be visible under strong lighting but chamois, like any material will trap tiny bits of grit - as you move it across the paintwork it cannot help but scratch.

The couple of days I have spent recently with highly experienced detailing people has really opened my eyes to what damage can be done and also to the simple things that can be done to minimise damage.

My OH's car was never put through a car wash and was only ever washed and dried using a chamois by its 1st owner, the extent of light surface scratching and swirling was terrible, fairly easy to put right but it could only have been caused by poor washing / drying techniques

andy- i have been a valeter/detailer now for the last 14 years, and i have never had a chamois scratch a car synthetic ones are much better than a real chamois, as i say never experienced any probs what so ever !! :?

Bought a meguiars water magnet today from Halfords after reading this thread...now just need a dry day in order to do a compare and contrast with my usual leather chamois. Problem I have in Thames Valley is the tap water is so hard you best not leave a drop as it always leaves a smear mark.

andy- i have been a valeter/detailer now for the last 14 years, and i have never had a chamois scratch a car synthetic ones are much better than a real chamois, as i say never experienced any probs what so ever !! :?

Totally agree, chamois leathers are fine as long as you keep them rinsed obviously.

Just visited clean your car and ordered a drying towel there's one on offer on the home page if anyone is interested. Thanks all for the help. :D

water magnet and blades will cause marring.

i4d Uber plush drying towel is what i use now (after trying out about 4-5 different things), i dry the whole car and still can't squeeze any water out of it after

Each to their own :D - Personally I would never go back to a chamois (even though I happily used one for years) - modern drying towels are so much mor effective, greatly reducing the risk of scratching and are far less aggressive in terms of the "pull" effect which will strip wax

Just ordered my towel from http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk

very good price! :D

a fine choice sir :D just remember and this goes for any drying towel never use softner when you wash the towel in the washing machine

it will go hard and not work

Top tips are alive and well it seems... Thanks for this would NOT have picked this up!!

Just ordered my towel from http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk

very good price! :D

a fine choice sir :D just remember and this goes for any drying towel never use softner when you wash the towel in the washing machine

it will go hard and not work

do you mean fabric softener or water softener salt (like calgon)?

try some of the sonus microfibre washing liquid for cleaning your cleaning stuff :lol: can't remember the exact name, but i use it to wash all my cloths, applicators etc and quite pleased with ti