James.

Scotts of Sloane Square Campaign

Hello everyone

I've been hanging out in the background for a while and thought it about time I put my car on here. It may show but haven't frequented many forums before (so please go easy on me !).

I used to drive a White 2.0 16v Corrado (L35 WAG) 2001 to 2004. But after selling it spent the next four years wanting another.

2005_0604james0004.JPG

After a lot of searching and waiting I landed on my current vehicle (August 09). It's a 1992 VR6 Campaign. I spotted it on here and duly negotiated a deal to take her back home with me. The colour combo suits my personality perfectly.

Initially reality bit hard when we turned up to view the car. It was in a right mess and a lot worse than described (see extensive list of jobs below !). But a combination of blind enthusiasm, time on my hands, haggling and seeing beyond the grime and extensive repairs told me there was only one place the Corrado was going.. Up north.

At home after a machine polish (A twenty footer as they call it):

P1030131.jpg

I'll update this thread on how it's going (feel free to chip in at any time to offer advice or ask questions).

Parts bought due to damaged originals:

Foglights s/h

Sunroof wind deflector s/h

Sunroof seal (new)

Wing mirror glass (both new)

Under bonnet heat/noise foam. Forget it. Too expensive...ooops bought it.

Under car wind deflectors/splash shields s/h.

Tyres 205 50 15 Kumho KU3. New.

Wheel nut coversRefurbed the originals.

Petrol flap return spring. Bought, painted and fitted.

Door lock pins/catches. Bought new from VAG.

Service items (various)

Some of the jobs I needed to sort once I got it home:

DONE - 1, Towbar (remove and destroy the evil thing)

Sept 09 - Removed the crusty old bar with rusty nuts and retired it to behind the garage. Stupidly it resides with the genuine VAG one I took off my 16v Corrado from seven years ago (Sold to Pat McCrotch) !

DONE - 2, Heaters.

Only working on setting 4.

Completed Oct 09 - Replaced the thermal fuse and this sorted the first three settings. It took me a few weeks to work out that the connector for setting four had become broken when re-installing it.

DONE - 3, Bodywork.

Dents on both rear arches and front wing. Scuffs on each corner. Small fractures on the bonnet. Different shade of sunroof ???. Usual stone chips on the front bumper/bonnet/wing mirrors. Sill wear from getting out/in the car.

A car valeting friend ran his mop over it Oct 09. Have decided to have the car repainted as all panels have work required. This should hopefully happen Jan 2010.

Jan 10 - Car on its way to the bodyshop (Autoline, Wigan) 1st Feb. Should be back three weeks later.

DONE - 4, Sunroof.

Tilts fine but is slow returning. Wind deflector catches when closing. Seal is shot.

Upon removal I've traced it to the rubber strip that seals the roof lining and sunroof. The roof lining has an extra black felt layer which is catching. Will complete when the interior goes back in

DONE - 5, Chin spoiler.

Cracked and scraped to within an inch of its life.

Replaced Sept 09 with a new 50mm version.

DONE - 6, Upholstery.

Filthy, grime covered leather, warped dash and a carpet that I swear had not been cleaned/vacuumed in years.

Oct 09 - Removed the entire interior. Cleaned/washed/vacuumed the carpets and removed all the tar/grease spots.

Stripped the Recaros/door cards/trim and cleaned the leather with "Gliptone" leather restorer and conditioner (wonderful stuff).

DONE - 7, Wheels.

Blisters, kerb marks and burnt in brake dust marks.

Nov 09 - Bought a brand new set of OE "Monte Carlo" wheels off e-bay (cheaper than having them refurbished !). Next job tyres.

DONE - 8, Dashboard.

Warped above the instrument cluster (due to leather shrinkage).

Oct 09 - Removed the dash from the car and carefully removed the leather. Sourced a replacement dash from Lindon at Dub Haus Chorley and stuck the leather on to the new dash.

Very happy with the result until... 

Nov 09 - Dad set fire to part of the garage (Bin containing used paper towels located next to vehicle interior + lit Cig = part destroyed interior and upset son !) The dashboard took the biggest hit.

P1030231.jpg

Jan 10 - Leather samples arrived from Germany. Colour match found ! "Tanin rot" as used by Audi and BMW. Leather paid for and should be with us 1st March. Dash and other bits to be re-trimmed (by Stuart and Paul at Ashley James auto trim) and ready by the end of March.

Image007.jpg

9, Engine bay.

Needs a general tidy.

Feb 2011 - engine, subframe and all parts removed for a complete clean and refit. Want this completed by May 1st 2011. (Well that deadline came and went !)

July 2023 - Finished. 12 years isn't bad ! 🙄

DONE - 10, Locks.

One key for the door and one for the ignition.

Oct 09 - Retumbled the locks with help from the fountain of knowledge that is this wonderful forum. One key entry (even though it has a full closure alarm !)

DONE - 11, Alarm/Immobiliser.

One key for both. Need spares.

Oct 09 - Sourced spare alarm/immobiliser keys and configured them.

DONE - 12, Windscreen.

Cracked. needs replacing (bad times). (£50 excess on the insurance - Good times)

Replacement to be installed post respray (end of Feb).

DONE - 13, Air con.

Service and re-gas.

Nov 09 - Unit holds gas and has now been tested to confirm cold air (now then wheres that sun ?)

DONE - 14, Repair and replace bits of trim.

A pillars (obtained Oct 09), Sun-visor clips, Door seal, paint Locks, badges (obtained Oct 09), door handle guides, wing mirror gaskets(obtained Dec 09). Hand brake plastic shroud (obtained Nov 09).

DONE - 15, Wing mirrors

Don't work at all.

Nov 09 - Cleaned contacts and now working. Had to remove the door card and cut part of the inner door skin out to fit the switch correctly ??? Must have been like that from the factory !!!

DONE - 16, Radio

Couldn't pick up a cold.

Nov 09 - Chopped out the old amp and soldered a new piece of wire in. Can now get Five live.

DONE - 17, Heated seats

Sans warmth.

Nov 09 - Removed the relays. Cleaned the contacts and now get hot exam ass on demand.

DONE - 18, Relay 67

More ticks than a tramps vest.

Nov 09 - Since fixing the heaters it doesn't tick so much. Hoorah !

DONE - 19, Lights on buzzer.

fitted Nov 09

Removed 2023

Photograph from July 2010 at Dalton CC

K95 EUC Summer 2010.jpeg

Interior shot after the carpets/seats were cleaned, late 2009 (Spare steering wheel fitted to preserve the original).

K95 EUC interior refresh.jpeg

Edited by James.

fair play pal, you've really got stuck in with this one - good effort. great to see a classic corrado get the restoration and love it deserves.

sorry about the dash for you pal, hope you manage to sort something with that (i would have been raging if my dad did something like that to my stuff!)

please say you're going to keep it original by the way; not sure how many campaigns are left "whole" over here, but there aren't more than 4 at most now are there?...

Thanks Pete

I totally agree. The Campaign is being restored to as it rolled out of Osnabruck. Which worries me as I've already started discussing cleaning the underneath and detailing the engine.

Didn't speak with dad for three weeks. In the end life's too short to hold grudges but I do feel the red mist descend when the subject is raised.

My main chagrin was that I'd just spent three weeks sourcing/removing/stripping/recovering and cleaning the replacement dash.

To be fair I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for dad so I have to keep a perspective.

Good to see it recieving the attention, and good look with the toasty dash :( . Hopefully I'll see you around in it when your back on the road.

Are you sure he's your real Dad and you're not adopted? Flesh and blood usually wouldn't do that sort of thing to family!!

Looks like it's coming on well :salute:

It's thrilling to see one of these being given some TLC and being bought back to former glory - and slightly irritating to know that it was originally being sold for fairly top money when in fact it was in a bit of a state.

REALLY look forward to seeing the pictures and build as this progresses :)

People mock the Campaigns and say they're not worth the money, etc but the bottom line is there is only 4 or 5 of them left.. they're pretty darn rare!

Keep us updated :)

Really glad this one is getting attention, when it was for sale was tempted to have a look, had no idea it was so much of a "project"

Keep us updated

Will be 8) when complete.

Rich

Finally in a position where the dash can go back in as all the electrics are sorted (when trimmed). Want to give it a few weeks for any issues to manifest themselves. I sure don't want to remove the dash again unless I can help it.

Trawling through the wires I had some finds along the way:

A complete Tracker ! (phoned the insurance and it wouldn't reduce the premium 1p ! Some use they are.)

A switch to cut out the horn (wired into the alarm !) Perhaps one of the past owners found the alarm sound offensive ?

Burnt out radiator fan fuse (immobiliser bypass) on a separate loom. I wondered why the fan didn't stay on after immobiliser kicked in. Glad I spotted this as this could have caused some issues down the line. Again not sure how long this has been like this but it ain't a good thing.

If you are looking for someone to retrim the dash you could try MJ interiors in west yorks (Batley or Shipley I think). Never used them but spoke to owner a few years ago at Elsecar show (think he was called Junior), he had a Mk 2 G60 and it was one of the nicest cars I have seen, the standard or the re-trim looked spot on. Like I said never used him but he seemed a decent knowledgable chap.

Rich.

Cheers Rich

I went to see Michael (Junior) a few weeks back. You're right he is a top bloke and tells it how it is. He was trimming a Bentley at the time but made me feel just as important with my cheap offering.

We trawled through swatches but couldn't find a match so he made a call to a custom leather hide supplier he uses. Bearing in mind a leather hide can be bought for £100+, the price for a one off custom dyed hide...

... An eye watering £850. Plus the labour on top (about £700)

Like dad said: " It's the dearest cigarette he's ever smoked"

Insurance (house and car) don't want to know so it looks like another big bill. I'm obtaining samples from abroad at the moment to try and keep the prices realistic. I certainly don't want to cut corners on the quality/finish but if I can save some pound notes on the material cost then all the better.

Wow - is all the bodywork under the centre tunnel trim white?! Just noticed the avatar pic and the corresponding location in the picture of the seats / dash you just posted..

Looks like Karmann did a THOROUGH job painting the Campaigns.. lol!

Cheers Rich

... An eye watering £850. Plus the labour on top (about £700)

Like dad said: " It's the dearest cigarette he's ever smoked"

Ouch!

Be good to have extra hide though for seat bolsters and things if necessary.

Like everyone else has said, nice that someone like yourself has taken on the project and will no doubt bring the car back to its former glory

Matt

Hats off to you for saving this car and persevering after the fire. A lesser man (like myself) would have probably resorted to swearing and sledgehammers by now! I never realised it was in such a state tho, Ugly Bloke kept that quiet!

.. An eye watering £850. Plus the labour on top (about £700)

:shock: not a bargain!, not sure how you could source it cheaper, might be worth looking on the internet for an overseas supplier, sure I have seen tanneries (sp) in Morocco/North Africa. Might be a long shot but could be worth looking to see if there are any websites, perhaps you could send them a swatch and they could match it. Prehaps i am talking crap cos I have absolutely no idea about leather dyeing!

Sure someone on here dyed their leather interior, seem to remember it looking good (think it was red), could you get a dye match and dye some standard cream leather??

Hope you get it sorted

Rich.

TBH anyone who saw this car on its MANY outings at the pod would know it was a bit "Tired" I personally don't think Uglybloke mis-sold it...

However good to see it being restored... this is the ONLY limited run Rado I'd own... if I had the money...

The bodywork under the trim tunnel is primer grey Jim. Someone at the factory has written "Dusty Mauve P+E" in marker pen under the hand brake. Kind of sad but I like finding little details like that. In the mass produced mechanized world of car manufacture it creates a level of human attachment.

Campaign DM signature.JPG

On a different note, I finished my 1:36 replica today. It's not perfect. It's pre facelift, got the wrong wheels and LHD but it cheered me up finishing it.

rear shot.jpg

Edited by James.

please say you're going to keep it original by the way; not sure how many campaigns are left "whole" over here, but there aren't more than 4 at most now are there?...

As original as the day is long. Though I have been tempted to drop it with some flavour of BBS bolted on. Factory all the way !

Sure someone on here dyed their leather interior, seem to remember it looking good (think it was red), could you get a dye match and dye some standard cream leather??

It's an option but really a last resort at the moment as it wears off over time. Thanks for the advice though.

Hopefully I'll see you around in it when your back on the road.

Damn right. I'm itching to get in it for a drive. I used to go to north Lancs club GTI years gone by and have lost touch with regional meets. Any worth a look ?

Hopefully I'll see you around in it when your back on the road.

Damn right. I'm itching to get in it for a drive. I used to go to north Lancs club GTI years gone by and have lost touch with regional meets. Any worth a look ?

Not into the car meeting scene as such, so no idea I'm afraid.

Great to see this in the hands of a dedicated and enthusiatic owner. Keep the faith re the leather, sh1t happens and often worse than this!

Best of luck with the restoration and look forward to seeing this in the flesh some time- never seen a Campaign

Vaughan

i dyed some seats about 2 years ago, and trust me they are still 100% perfect on the leather parts, its just vinyl you have problems with.

utmost respect for doing all this very good work.

Great to see a Campaign getting the love. I think the thing to do with the leather would probably be the pick a new hide in a very close color match and restore the full interior. The original will be aging now anyway, I just had my Recaros retrimmed and they look better than factory fresh.

I helped set up the North Lancs meet many years ago and stayed involved for a number of years but it pretty much dwindled away when Dave Freeman stepped down as host. This meet has been taken over by the NWVag meet at the Leaa Gate, Preston and the Unplased H2O meet at the Boatmans, Riley Green