Sign in to follow this  
-=Kris=-

a noob question...

How much oil will my 2.9 VR take?

it's hit 3k since the last oil replacment so i figured i better start doing this myself...

how easy is it to do and what am i looking for?

also, would i have to replace the gearbox oil too?

Thanks in advance,

Kris

iirc its 6 litres of oil and 1 litre of gearbox oil - i just bought two of the gear oil botles from vw, cant remember if they were half or 1 litre..

You dont need to replace the gearbox oil, but its easy to do, just open the drain hole at the bottom - its next to the selector tower support trunnion which has a big VW printed into it! Opens with a (5mm) spline bit.

it's hit 3k since the last oil replacment so i figured i better start doing this myself...

Thanks in advance,

Kris

......well its dead easy to do, just make sure you jack the car on level ground using axle stands before you get under the thing.......always change your oil filter when you change your oil and make sure you drain the oil from the sump plug first before you take the filter off !!

......cant remember off the top of my head how much it should take though :scratch: ......someone will tell you soon though.

TBH 3k is a bit premature to be changing oil, I would wait to closer to 5-6K if you really want to be perdantic.

You dont have to change gearbox oil but can if you want, depends when last done and if you dont know do it......although it is a little trickier to do, but still relatviely easy.

Thanks in advance,

Kris

5.5litre - its in the book :wink:

Changing the oil is easy peasy. You will need set of spanners or sockets (well one, i forget the size), a set of ramps or axle stands and an a set of allen keys (again forgot size).

Its simply a case of taking the car for a good blast to get the oil hot. Then get it up on the ramps and remove the sump plug nut from the rear of the sump, drain the oil into something. The oilfilter housing is at the front of the engine, behind the bumper, just behind where the reg plate is. The black oilfilter housing screws off, you'll need a large spanner, but you're best draining the housing of oil first by taking off the metal cap with an allen key.

The oilfilter itself attaches to the black housing you've just taken off simply screw back on along with the housing drainage plug.

You will need to leave the oil draining from the sup for maybe 10-15 mins. Then replace the sump plug again - or oil will go in the top and back out the bottom :lol: - messy :(

Then drop the car back to the floor and fill with oil. I generally put 5 - 5.25 litres of oil and then allow the oil to sink to the bottom of the engine and check the level. You can always add more oil, but not take it out.

Job done.

Gearbox oil doesnt need changing half as often but maybe worth changing it if you suspect its never been done. Cant help you with that as ive not done it myself.

HTH

EDIT - damn typed all that just to be beaten to it :lol:

Oh and as above 3k is a little early, leave it to 6 if you want. but 10k - 12k is the norm.

alrighty then... think i'll leave it for a bit... i was told to do it every 3k... i take it thats a bit anal then...? :lol:

well at least i know how! Thanks!

I was thinking the same thing as I was replying critical_mass - 'hope some other bugger doesnt get to this before me otherwise I've just wasted 5 minutes of my life' :lol: :lol:

alrighty then... think i'll leave it for a bit... i was told to do it every 3k... i take it thats a bit anal then...? :lol:

i can help you do all that melarkie mate we can sort something at the weekend

i regulary do mine so no probs mate

6k is a bit anal let alone 3k......saying that I do mine every 6k :D

good luck with it fella, post if you have any problems and be careful when jacking the car up :wink:

i can help you do all that melarkie mate we can sort something at the weekend

i regulary do mine so no probs mate

I'm up for that... even if it don't need doing just yet... it'd be nice to know how its' done...

car is gettin ABS sensor rings and wiring looms replaced on friday and should have it back early sat morning... i didn't want them to replace the oil... i gotta learn some day! could sort something out for the afternoon if ur free?

I worry everytime I drive my car at the moment because it's had the same oil for the last 6k lol, I've got all the oil and filter sitting here ready to do in - I'm just waiting for a dry day where I'm not working so I can do it.

gearbox takes more oil than you might think. i bought 3 bottles from gsf to be sure, i seem to remember it being 2 and a bit last time i did it.

better to have to much than not enough.

I was thinking the same thing as I was replying critical_mass - 'hope some other bugger doesnt get to this before me otherwise I've just wasted 5 minutes of my life' :lol: :lol:

:lol: i did take longer then 5 mins to type that tbf as i was at work when i typed it and kept being disturbed... how DARE work get in my way during working hours! :lol:

Kris, once youve changed the oil once you'll think why you ever paid anyone to do it for you? I laugh when i hear someone is taking their car to the garage for a service.