Sign in to follow this  
OSV

Corrado modern classic, custom cars had their day?

With the Corrado now approaching 15 years since production ended and the numbers of cars diminishing all the time is the future of the model to treat it as an increasingly rare modern classic rather than the platform for a custom car. I certainly hope so, I know this forum is thankfully largely a sensible restrained grown up environment but you never get complete agreement on any given subject in life.

My assertion is that the Corrado was very desirable out of the box and as the years go buy i'd much rather see a clean standard example than a custom creation in what is often a style representing a transitory fad.

I'm all for improvements, upgrades and modifcations but prefer to stay faithfull to the original concept. So for instance I believe that to lower the ride height and upgrade the suspension is vital to do the car justice but many other changes are less desirable and I increasingly find myself finding many customised examples very unappealing.

I'm interested to hear what people think, to start the ball rolling i'll list a couple of things that I personally don't like to see please add your own thoughts.

Debadged grilles

Crystal lights/indicators/angel eyes

Two tone colour schemes

Im 100% with you mate ,had a debadged grille for a while and have done other things but i just went back to standard [well almost 8) ] as i prefered it

Chequer plate

Body kits

Number plates randomly positioned and secured as an afterthought having smoothed the stock location.

Body kits and silly spoilers are my two no no's :nono: or anything that takes away the origina looks.

Apart from lowering it, which improves the looks.

Anything that can't be changed back to the original without having caused some lasting impression/damage.

Swap lights, de badge grilles, change steering wheels, change road wheels (so long as it is not to something so large that it rubs huge areas of rear arch underseal off) etc, but please, please, please keep the original parts (especially if they are still tidy/fully working) as the day you want to put it back to standard you wont be able to get what you need.

I have a de-badged grill that I have yet to put on.

New suspension - a little lowered - is an early New Year target.

That apart, there's little visible that I aim to be doing - apart from one wee mod that I have in mind.

Under the bonnett is a diff matter tho :) 24V is way better than 12V, even without it being properly re-mapped. Another New Year treat in store :)

Personally, one of the visible mods that I just can't like is the bonnett bra. OK, I know it saves the stone chippings on the front - but ... ...

Its more a case of restoring/preserving than modifying for me, there are obviously parts of the car that need upgrading (suspension/brakes/wipers/lights) but other than that they don't need much tweeking as far as I'm concerned, they're definitely becoming more rare and they're also starting to be appreciated as a classic car which is all the more reason to keep them looking 'classic', for me.

Yeah id agree with Butterfly. Every mod i do i keep the standard parts just incase some time in the future i want to go back to it. Though i've not changed that much aesthetically. Smoked rear lights and repeaters, and badgeless grille. Thats it!

Looks wise the Corrado is spot on. A body kit and spoilers just SPOIL the look of the car imo.

Large union jacks on the roof in 'The Who' style......... :wink:

Unless you have more than one and the other is a fine concours example of course

Yeah but it's a reversable mod ('scuse the pun) ...... it's only stick on and at the worst the car would need a bit of paint when it's removed, maybe only a good polish :)

Its more a case of restoring/preserving than modifying for me, there are obviously parts of the car that need upgrading (suspension/brakes/wipers/lights) but other than that they don't need much tweeking as far as I'm concerned, they're definitely becoming more rare and they're also starting to be appreciated as a classic car which is all the more reason to keep them looking 'classic', for me.

Iam 100% with this !

I too have every original parts, including the suspension thats only done 42k !

Yeah but it's a reversable mod ('scuse the pun) ...... it's only stick on and at the worst the car would need a bit of paint when it's removed, maybe only a good polish :)

Yes but couldn't resist!

I too have a large box of bits in my shed just in case I want to go back to standard. It's a very tongue in check joke, 'going back to standard' cos I can't ever see that happening and I seem to be letting a few bits wonder off to different parts of the country. The latest one being OSV now wears my old inlet manifold!

I still can't quite bring myself to remove the orange indicators! They just seem right.....

i think originality is more desiarable from a buyer prospective, and i do apprecaite a well looked after corrado that is standard and in original condition, the corrado its self is a really good looking sporty car, and dosent need to be spoilt with bodykits ect.

ive been thinking of finding a really good condition storm , cleaning and making it mint, and moth balling it for 30years.

pull it out then and youd own the road, heads would def turn!!! :D :D

Not that I've ever seen any on a Corrado but I be there are some with neon lighting :nono:

Your bet is spot on!

Myself and a few friends thankfully rescued a 2.0 16v from the hands of a known neon lover :gag: . It took us a while but the neons were successfully removed and binned :lol:

i think originality is more desiarable from a buyer prospective, and i do apprecaite a well looked after corrado that is standard and in original condition, the corrado its self is a really good looking sporty car, and dosent need to be spoilt with bodykits ect.

ive been thinking of finding a really good condition storm , cleaning and making it mint, and moth balling it for 30years.

pull it out then and youd own the road, heads would def turn!!! :D :D

I don't know about the moth balling it for 30 years, but my plan has always been to keep mine standard, look after it and keep it as long as I can.

I'd still like to be driving it in 30 years so lets hope I don't have any trouble renewing my licence at 70 :roll:

Not that I've ever seen any on a Corrado but I be there are some with neon lighting :nono:

Your bet is spot on!

Myself and a few friends thankfully rescued a 2.0 16v from the hands of a known neon lover :gag: . It took us a while but the neons were successfully removed and binned :lol:

:clap: Bin for the Win :D

This has always been my feeling towards these cars. I have to say, I am still continually alarmed at the amount of them which are being broken for bits simply because the owners of the cars are able to make a greater profit this way.. I'm desperately hoping that the price of Corrado's goes up in the not too distant future enough that it doesn't make breaking one viable, and saving one becomes a more attractive proposition.

I'd personally like nothing more to own a totally unmolested VR6 with a few, select, reversable modifications.

I still think there is room for some custom projects.. I do enjoy reading about engine transplants, etc etc but wouldn't want to embark on that path myself.

Each to their own is the way i look at it really, the more that get broken the rarer they are so that doesn't bother me at all!

Things i can't stand seeing are;

"Pulled" wheel arches, where the flat part of it has dissappeared.

Those hideous crystal M3 look rear lights, they don't even line up.

All after marketf ront lights look wrong imo.

I don't see the point in different wing mirrors.

I absolutely hate Lambo style doors (on any car that didn't come standard with them)

Side skirts, RS4 style bumpers.

Single wipers