daves16v

A Guide - 4 to 5 Stud Conversion

The following is based on my 4 to 5 stud conversion on my 1993 16v Corrado. It’s not a detailed step by step guide - more of a parts list, pricing and special requirements guide for the conversion.

Parts required + costs (roughly what you should expect to pay)

VR or G60 calipers and carriers - £50 (used)

VR outer CV joints - £30 pair (used)

VR 5 stud hubs - £20 pair (used)

16v front wheel bearings - £60 (VAG)

Passat VR 1993 front discs (these were only made for 1 year) - £56 (GSF) VAG part number 357 615 301 A

16v 4 stud ABS rings (for modifying) - £32 (VAG) part number 357 614 150

VR Front pads - £25 (VAG)

CV boot clips (if you don’t use new boots)- £4 (Ebay)

Rear bearings - £? (VAG)

Rear pads - £18 (GSF)

Rear discs - £42 (VAG) part number 357 615 601 B

VR M14 bolts 20x - £10 (used)

5x100 alloys + tyres

Brake fluid

Threadlock

Hub machining (to fit above discs) – not sure on cost, I did them myself. There is a possibility that the 5 stud hub off a 93 Passat VR will fit without machining but I’m not 100% sure, the VAG part number is 357 407 615 B (see pdf below).

I would budget for replacement inner and outer CV boots – I used pattern parts as the dealer was closed on a Sunday - £26 for 1 inner and 1 outer (GSF)

You will also need to get the wheel alignment set-up after it’s all done so budget for this too.

Special Requirements

Fitting the above parts is as per the usual Corrado procedures, there are no special tools or special methods for fitting. There are however modifications to some parts, these are detailed below.

The VR 5 stud hub needs to be turned down to 120mm diameter to allow it to fit the Passat VR disc (see photo below). I maybe able to get this done for you for a small charge.

The 4 stud ABS rings will need cutouts to clear the M14 wheel bolts. I used an angle grinder and finished off with a small rotary cutter similar to something you might use in a Dremel. This is a time consuming exercise so be patient, offer them up to the hubs and check for bolt clearance. Even though I used new rings I painted them afterwards to protect against corrosion (see photo below).

Please shout up if I've missed something or I've made a mistake somewhere and I'll put it right.

Thanks

Excellent thanks Dave! Gives me something to point to when closing a thread every other week BECAUSE PEOPLE WON'T USE THE SEARCH!!!1111

:ignore:

Sorry :nuts:

how is the corrado vr disc different to the passat vr ( 280 )

wood like to go 288mm or biger

good work btw

Excellent thanks Dave! Gives me something to point to when closing a thread every other week BECAUSE PEOPLE WON'T USE THE SEARCH!!!1111

:ignore:

Sorry :nuts:

Thought it might come in handy :)

Sorry but can i ask why not just fit the vr front knuckle and hub complete?

The lower ball joint on the VR is offset forwards or backwards can't remember which way, the 4 studs are centrally placed.

good work btw

The Passat VR disc mounting face is offset from the Corrado VR by about 10mm. It has the same offset as the 4 studs (non-plus suspension set-up). This is the reason you can't use 288 discs on a 4 stud.

Dave - you legend. Thanks very much for posting this up!

No problem, it took my mind off work tomorrow :lol:

good work btw

The Passat VR disc mounting face is offset from the Corrado VR by about 10mm. It has the same offset as the 4 studs (non-plus suspension set-up). This is the reason you can't use 288 discs on a 4 stud.

thanks 4 that now i no i don't need to do this conversion

The lower ball joint on the VR is offset forwards or backwards can't remember which way, the 4 studs are centrally placed.

Sorry im not picking faults just curious, but cant you just fit vr lower ball joint with the vr knuckle?

Sorry im not picking faults just curious, but cant you just fit vr lower ball joint with the vr knuckle?[/quote:2iyb6mq0]

You would have to change the wishbones then you would need to change the ARB and drive shafts.

Sorry im not picking faults just curious, but cant you just fit vr lower ball joint with the vr knuckle?

You would have to change the wishbones then you would need to change the ARB and drive shafts.

if i got wishbones arb dive shafts wheel bearing housing bits & bobs of a vr wood it fit a g60 subfame & work say wave 312 tt brakes

Not sure if you would need the VR subframe but yes get all those parts and you can go 312mm.

thanks buddy :D

Eddy - I'm running 312's but staying 4-stud incase this is an easier route for you...

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=83206&p=963060

It's a bit of a bodge with machined carriers and re-drilled discs but is working well, very stable braking from high speed!

thanks very much 4 the link now i'm not sure what to do :scratch:

Not sure if you would need the VR subframe but yes get all those parts and you can go 312mm.

You cant go straight for 312mm using parts from your first post?

You cant go straight for 312mm using parts from your first post?

Not without machining the carriers and drilling the discs.

The bearing housing on the 16v has the caliper carrier mounting position in a different place to the VR bearing housing.

after pieceing all the bits i wood need form a vr6 + brakes ( 288 or 312 mm )

a willwood 4 pot brake kit wood be better :grin:

Passat VR 1993 front discs (these were only made for 1 year) - £56 (GSF) VAG part number 357 615 301 A

What size are these? 280? 288? do you know height and thickness of disc?

Thank you.

What size are these? 280? 288? do you know height and thickness of disc?

Thank you.

They are 280mm and I think are 22mm thick. They are exactly the same as VR discs except for the offset to suit the bearing carrier on the 16v.

Not wanting to nit pick but what is the advantage of converting from four stud to five and keeping the existing "narrow track" set up?

You can already get 280 and larger brake set-ups in four stud, a larger selection of wheels in four stud.

I can see why you might choose to fit widetrack (and end up with 5stud) apparently better handleing due to the wider track an extra castor.

And I can see why you would convert hubs from five to four with widetrack.(opposite of this topic)

Can someone shed alittle light please,

good work by the way.