C488ADO

That Rado..............

You must have a stockpile of all the good stuff Chris.

Hmmm........not a certain carbon bonnet? Nah you wouldn't like one of those Nath! Haha.

wow no updates for a long long time........

so what with the r32 sump and pump fitted , and then the heater matrix blowing (which was a fun job) actually not as bad as i thought id happily do another one......

went for a drive round europe 3000 ish miles in 9 days never missed a beat.bruge , brussells, nurnberg, mannheim, schwezingen, wurtzberg, blackforest, czeh republic, praha, etc and back again, some interesting sites and experiances, esp in praha with the rado....... never saw another rado the whole time we were in europe.....

anyway back to the car,

car is in the body shop right now, some pikey dick ran over it subsequently some damage was evident on the bonnet and roof!!!!!! all sorted now though insurance paid out, i paid the other half and got them to do the rest of the car! again , so i get it back saturday afternoon then it goes in for auto-manual conversion....cant wait

il grab some more pics soon and show you what im talking about....

lookin forward to seein it soon mate ,i reckon you ,me matt n langers need to get a shot of the four cars together ,for the first time in what .....four years !!

taken the rado off the road for the winter, been wanting to do the manual conversion for a while and just havent got round to it ...so last monday i took the engine out! never doen it before but als well so far.... probably made more work for me than nessacary but hey its all in the learning curve.....

Image001.jpg

Image006.jpg

Image002.jpg

Image003.jpg

auto gearbox off!!

Image007.jpg

Image008.jpg

Image009.jpg

as if that wasnt enough i started to strip back the loom so i can start to try and tidy things up under the bay....

wish i never started the job believe me ...

Image005.jpg

Image004.jpg

thats as far as i got as work is manic that and my partners dad has arrived two days early from america!! so not getting anything much done!

this thread shows the serious amount of work that you have put in, but boy, hasnt it paid off. The car looks amazing and that interior :luvlove:

Will be watching this as i too have done the auto to manual, so will keep an eye out for all the questions that stumped me that i can now help others with :lol:

Keep up the good work.

gettin there bud you decided what to do with the engine yet mate? dont forget if you need an extra pair of hands you know where i am :)

Looking ermmm not very nice mate :pale: Not a very pleasant job ahead.

I've got a big long list of jobs waiting for you on mine, so hurry up with this :)

I'd offer to assist but I'm working all the time also, I could come over to wind you up and take the 'P' if you like :norty:

Good luck mate :cuckoo:

kinda just making this shit up as i go ......worried yes want it done yes can i do it ....not sure lol

even if i have to extend the loom in places so it hides a lot of the wires i will!!! lol

def going to change the engine mounts though as they are wanked...

I'm not a pro mechanic by any means, always learning though, and i found the mechanics suprisingly simple for the conversion, so satisfying removing auto parts and fitting the manual equivalent.

I struggled a bit with the wiring, reverse lights etc.....but took my time and i got there in the end. Dont think you'll have a problem with this, seems like you have a lot of willing helpers too.......more heads are better than one.

lol wiring is ok for me how to do this though im not sure... i just want to be able to hide eveything in the legs etc maybe even relocate the batery, the powersteering resivoir, fuse box thingy etc ??

so about 3 weeks ago i took the engine out , havent touched it since due to family and work commitments....

today i had a brief few minuets to spare so i thought id better try and get some more done..

started like this again...i just hate looking at it

IMG_0365.jpg

i think im going to have to remove this so i can tidy the wires properly....but it might also mean im going to have to remove the dashboard too for full benifit of this....???

IMG_0366.jpg

il get round to cleaning this out and sorting the orange bits..

IMG_0367.jpg

first job remove the exhaust manifold and then the heatshield in the tunnel

IMG_0368.jpg

IMG_0369.jpg

removed the heatshield and removed the auto shifterbox...

IMG_0374.jpg

IMG_0375.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg

IMG_0377.jpg

autobox shifter box removed!! hurray!

IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0371.jpg

IMG_0372.jpg

next up the manual pedal box

IMG_0378.jpg

the box is almost identical.....but there is always a snag... this part is missing on the auto pedal box hence needing the manual one ....its not like i can even convert the old one....

IMG_0379.jpg

the part pictured in the last two shots are completly missing from the manal box...

IMG_0380.jpg

lucky that the old pedal box has got a template so i can cut out for the slave cylinder...

IMG_0382.jpg

great work bud , i know im always workin , thats the trouble with self employment . thing is ,its not just helpin a mate [as you always helped me out] its the learning of different jobs that you miss out on :(

Nathan, a little off topic mate. I notice on your 6 branch that the bolts are facing away from the engine bay. Was it fitted to the car with the bolts that way round - where you able to tighten them up with them that way? On mine the bolts are put in from the engine bay side and are a bugger to tighten up.

good on you for doing it yourself. Have a look at my thread if its of any use from when Zak & I did my auto to manual conversion

Gaz hello!

Yes I've fitted re fitted and fitted some more in the end I just put them on the way it worked for me u got a good seal and that's all I was worried about! Lol was a real pain in the ass and I'm not looking forward to re fitting it at all.... Hate it when you get a tiny blow!!

The big main bolts face the rear of the car and they are a struggle as one of them almost fouls the exhaust itself!! As you probably know!

Got any pics of how yours is fitted?

Hasan! Hi there well I'm hoping to improve my knowledge on te old girl by doing it myself and sure enough it's working just having a basic understanding of where bits and pieces are fitted and also from a servicing point of view it's nice to know what can and can't be achieved when it's all back in if your a driveway hero at oil changes etc

Been workin on the mk3 the last coue if nights so no play time until that's ready...

No afraid i dont have any pics mate.

Know exactly what you mean about a good seal. Mine is blowing at the mo, Ive adjusted it twice already. Having to do it again as its blowing a little. Its really frustrating, ive never been able to get it to seal correctly. Going to buy a new donut seal (metal wire seal thingy :lol: ) and try the bolts the way round you've done, see if that works better.

Can you do me a favour and measure the inside and outside diameters of the metal donut seal that goes in the 6 branch? Just so i can buy the right size.

Cheers dude!

I never had the size bud , i just took the old one to the local factors and offerd them all up, funnily enough wasn't a vw item that replaced it , it was from a Citroën Picasso from memory!!

Shen it blew again I just blamed it on the French shit holding the exhaust together lol

I never had the size bud , i just took the old one to the local factors and offerd them all up, funnily enough wasn't a vw item that replaced it , it was from a Citroën Picasso from memory!!

Shen it blew again I just blamed it on the French **** holding the exhaust together lol

Picasso? Thought it would be an aftermarket part?

You can get them online so i'll take a gander about. Cheers anyway Nath and keep the updates coming! :D

well been down to help nath out tonight .....my god what has he taken on!. loads of wires to bury n gettin the peddle box out was a git, will be worth it when its done though .

I went to ALS motor factors

You can try

Kevin cooperative

Mill autoquip

Motormart

Gsf

Eurocarparts

My doughnut came from a Citroën Picasso I've got to get another one when I refit the exhaust if you haven't done it by the time I get round to sorting mine I can them tell you the size no probs!