Sign in to follow this  
UseOnceDestroy

What Manifold?

at the mo ive done the decat pipe £60 got the cams but not fitted em £200 odd and have a bmc £180 odd and its putting out 201.8 bhp

so i think the decat pipe does make a difference as does the bmc and im sure when i fit the cams (when its not white outside) that will get me upto 220-225 bhp so for £340 plus gaskets and bits thats not bad gains over std compair that to a charger at 1800 quid for an extra 75-80 bhp

its deffo more bhp for your buck

at the mo ive done the decat pipe £60 got the cams but not fitted em £200 odd and have a bmc £180 odd and its putting out 201.8 bhp

so i think the decat pipe does make a difference as does the bmc and im sure when i fit the cams (when its not white outside) that will get me upto 220-225 bhp so for £340 plus gaskets and bits thats not bad gains over std compair that to a charger at 1800 quid for an extra 75-80 bhp

just not as fast :nuts:

just not as fast :nuts:

true :p :lol:

do your maths again, pipe £60, cams £200, bmc £180, THATS £440 plus gaskets say another £60 theres £500 and thats with a cheap set of cams, otherwise you can take that total from £500 to £650 easily,

and to get the full benefit from the cams you will need a re-map, theres another £300 needed,

so for £800 or £950 (with full priced cams) you will have about 225bhp, so an extra 30bhp costs you £800/£950.

for £1500 (seen soom go for about that amount) you will have approx 300bhp, so thats an extra 100/110bhp,

dont get me wrong a NA vr6 is lovely to drive, but a charged one is even better.

I can't afford the full price of a turbo or a supercharger yet, because theres the cost of fitting too in my case. I'm going ahead with the 263 cams and the exhaust manifold, I'd like to get a sports cat too ... these are things I can afford for the moment (with a remap) ... If I was to one day go for a turbo or supercharger, surely fitting the prior parts would help its performance anyway? No? :confused4:

do your maths again, pipe £60, cams £200, bmc £180, THATS £440 plus gaskets say another £60 theres £500 and thats with a cheap set of cams, otherwise you can take that total from £500 to £650 easily,

and to get the full benefit from the cams you will need a re-map, theres another £300 needed,

so for £800 or £950 (with full priced cams) you will have about 225bhp, so an extra 30bhp costs you £800/£950.

for £1500 (seen soom go for about that amount) you will have approx 300bhp, so thats an extra 100/110bhp,

dont get me wrong a NA vr6 is lovely to drive, but a charged one is even better.

wooops :cuckoo: fat fingers or too many beers last night

but the remap is not essential so it is cheeper to start with and im sure the supercharged vr is far better but some dont have the budget

although i might start saving for the stealth turbo kit :D

I can't afford the full price of a turbo or a supercharger yet, because theres the cost of fitting too in my case. I'm going ahead with the 263 cams and the exhaust manifold, I'd like to get a sports cat too ... these are things I can afford for the moment (with a remap) ... If I was to one day go for a turbo or supercharger, surely fitting the prior parts would help its performance anyway? No? :confused4:

dont forget if you fit a stainless 6 branch, you wont need it if you go turbo, they do make a good mod for a supercharger though.

you'll be fine using a de-cat as long as your car still passes the emissions test, i work at an mot station and theres nothing that says the car HAS to have a cat. however it obviously needs to pass emissions. again if the 5-0 pull you over and do a roadside emissions test,as long as you pass it won't matter that you don't have a cat. after all the cat just cleans up your emissions and if your car's within limit anyway, they can't do jack 8) just thort id say as decats are cheaper than sports cats haha

Ok I've sourced the 263 cams, looking at around £285. If anyone else is looking for these, let me know as the seller needs a couple more orders to make it worth his while. I'm going for the 6 branch manifold from DUBpower at £330.

Can anyone give me some info on sports cats or decat in general. What is the best option? I hear it's illegal, is that right? Will I have to remove it for the MOT?

Just hoping my mk3 will sell now so I can throw the cash straight back at my Corrado!!

a up mate im keen on some 263 cams, what make and where is the group buy?

a up mate im keen on some 263 cams, what make and where is the group buy?

Alright mate, they are Schimmel 263 cams, if you email [email protected] and tell him you are interested in them, he should sort you out with all the info :D

cheers mate ill defo be getting on that :)

dont forget if you fit a stainless 6 branch, you wont need it if you go turbo, they do make a good mod for a supercharger though.

But it isn't a prob even if you do go VRT as there's always a good market for stainless 6B's, cheap or expensive, with or without the special spherical articulated joint!

BTW - if anyone needs a spherical joint set these can be bought from Olivier [an english speaking Raceland guy!] at [email protected]

Must stop reading this thread, can feel the need for some tuning coming on :D and hear my wallett groaning :lol: Good info here guys nice one :clap:

Hahaha smiley-laughing004.gif ... yeah, well I had it all planned out until I went up someones arse! (in the car ... just want to make that one clear) ... Now I've gotta concentrate on repair bills instead of tuning!! smiley-angry021.gif

That's a bummer :(

If it's any consolation I agree your plan is good - nice smooth 263 power with no upgrade cam downside. Preferably with optimal benefit of re-map.

A good platform for other NA or FI goodies. :D

If I could do it all again and couldn't afford forced induction, I would skip all the normally aspirated engine mods and spend the money on a 3.68 Diff, Wavetrac LSD, rear ARB and good coilovers instead 8)

Capacity increases and big valve heads aside - The best normally aspirated mods net you 10-15% peak power, combined, which in terms of straight line acceleration, isn't going to keep most people amused for long.

What the aforementioned chassis and gearbox mods gives you quicker acceleration, more traction out of corners and massively better handling.

I would put money on car A with these mods being quicker point-to-point on a B road, than car B with just the NA engine mods.

And then as funds allow, you can forced induction onto a platform you know will take the power instead of spinning it all away and having to roast the brakes to death every corner you come to...... just my 2p :D

They're certainly not! Nothing on the VR6 is cheap, but that's the order in which I'd do it personally. Chassis, brakes, diff and final drive and THEN power 8)

If I could do it all again and couldn't afford forced induction, I would skip all the normally aspirated engine mods and spend the money on a 3.68 Diff, Wavetrac LSD, rear ARB and good coilovers instead 8)

............etc

And then as funds allow, you can forced induction onto a platform you know will take the power instead of spinning it all away and having to roast the brakes to death every corner you come to...... just my 2p :D

A very well made point there kev, never feel i can use the full potential of my standard lump at the mo because the chassis lets it down, prob would have done better when it was new but 15 years on, some things need replacing......does feel better after the rear axle refurb tho, but as long as my engine lasts i will be sortin the rest of the chassis 1st, then more power :D

some good comments. Just to add another option to the power scenario, chucking a 24v (2.8l) could also be considered. By all accounts its not as complicated or fraught with as many isses as the R32 conversion, but with far superior power delivery than the VR. Engines etc can be gotten for around 4-500, plus ecu, downpipe and other bits and bobs so around £1200 all in i guess. So with Haywires chassis mods and an engine transplant you'll have a well sorted car.

Thanks for your list Kev, helps me keep on track for doing mods in the right sort of order.

In the process of big brakes, then thinking of renewing the old bushes all round. Just bought all new engine mounts to replace the soggy old ones. Would love big power but want to be able to use it! And not be spinning the wheels all the time as has been mentioned.

Yeah, braking is one area the Corrado definitely needs improvement!

I always bang on about how cr@p Corrado brakes are (VR6 in particular) but to be fair, they will stop you (eventually), it's just the pedal force needed to get any reassuring bite out of them that lets them down. And when you do stand on them hard, you can end up with warped discs as a reward :lol:

Defo do the bushes. A sorted chassis allows you to use the car harder and faster. More power is only a short term gain where space permits, but a sure footed chassis is something you can enjoy all of the time.

Going round corners quickly is something a sorted Corrado excels at and is where the first chunk of maintenance & modding money should be directed at :D