coullstar

Winter/Snow tyre discussion thread

Wheeeee back end action bring it on! good find! :salute: Joking aside though i dont think i'd get anywhere near that speed due to every bugger else on the road.

Do you sell tyres then?

Crikey some reading there, mostly having a go at each other though! :roll: :lol:

Yeah did watch that one, would be good to see the same car trying to get up it though but i guess the same principle applies. am thinking about another pair for the rear now :lol:

I honestly think it'd be safer with four summer tyres than winters on front and summers on rear. I've seen cars spin on snow/ice when going no faster than walking pace with mismatched tyres... you could end up hitting lamposts, cars, people, kerbs... no matter what speed you go.

Four winters or don't even bother.

Hopefully mine will be here soon, passed 3 crashed cars on the 8 mile stretch of road between my work and house... saw two more sets of tyre tracks going straight off the road into the woods. (To put it into context how "busy" that road is, I only saw one car coming the other way on the 15 minutes it took me to get from turning on to turning off it, so 75% of the cars I saw had crashed!!)

I feel I should admit that I myself had a moment... where the whole car slid a bit on an adverse camber corner, and ended up running onto the grass bank (was only about splitter height above the road, and was doing about 5mph, so no damage caused to wheels, tracking or underside of car... but there is a lot of grass and mud on the sump and axle :lol:)

People just don't slow down for the conditions. I have no idea why some British Motorists think they are invincible and slowing down for Snow and Ice is beneath them :roll: We'll over look your minor incident of course, but you know better any way :D

And on top of that, I STILL see feckin idiots driving along, looking through a letter box sized hole of a frozen over windscreen. I have zero sympathy for these idiots coming off the road. I just pity the sensible people they take out with them.

The snow has yet to arrive down south and I'm looking forward to it this year.

Our winter rubber has a lot to live up to after this huge thread discussing them!!

Got my winters on last night...nothing special but I'm running Bora 15x6 steelies on adaptors, soon to be going widetrack though. The tyres are Vredestein SnowTrac3's and they're great :)

IMAG0086.jpg

Tom

Got these coming myself. Now I have a real job, rather than self employed, where I don't have the option of not driving on my

Goodyear F1s if it's snowy I thought I'd better make the investment pronto!!

Dunlop SP WINTER SPORT M3 195/50 R15 82H with rim protection, M+S marking Fully Fitted

Quantity: 4

unit price net: 66.30 GBP (77.90 GBP brutto)

-----------------------------------------

Total amount net: 265.19 GBP

Transport and delivery costs net: 0.00 GBP

Total amount net: 265.19 GBP

17.5 % VAT 46.41 GBP

Total sum: 311.60 GBP

http://www.mytyres.co.uk 8)

I honestly think it'd be safer with four summer tyres than winters on front and summers on rear. I've seen cars spin on snow/ice when going no faster than walking pace with mismatched tyres... you could end up hitting lamposts, cars, people, kerbs... no matter what speed you go.

Four winters or don't even bother.

Some truth in that Ben but folk have been fitting them to just the drive wheels for years so cant see them being worse than just using all seasons all round, like i say though if i do notice a vast improvement i'll be ordering for the rear too :)

Had them letting go a bit yesterday pulling out of a few junctions without trying to so they better improve when the worse weather comes :grin:

Had them letting go a bit yesterday pulling out of a few junctions without trying to so they better improve when the worse weather comes :grin:

What was "letting go"? The TS800s? On what surface? Wet, dry, ice, snow? Don't need to be hearing this, LOL! :lol:

Maybe they just need scrubbing in a bit like normal tyres, which are also schitt fresh out of the mould?

I'm in Germany right now and have just driven down the bahns.. Slush snow ice in the French Belgium end but further down they clear the roads very well glad I got my winter tyres when I did!!

The snow fall here is quite amazing though, well for me it is as living in the sw we don't see very much at all, it's coming down like heavy rain good for us it's not settling!!

Oh and to add what keV said Noone here slows down for snow people still overtaking me at 100+ easily bloody dangerous and a little inconciderate to other drivers

What was "letting go"? The TS800s? On what surface? Wet, dry, ice, snow? Don't need to be hearing this, LOL! :lol:

Maybe they just need scrubbing in a bit like normal tyres, which are also schitt fresh out of the mould?

Dont panic Kev, it was actually dry but there was that greasy film which is left after they salt the road and it remains dry. was an off camber junction too so only slipped a littlewhen i moved off.

Felt good today though when it was damp this morning :clap: As you say will probably need a little bedding in, only done 30 miles on them so far.

inch or two of snow here this morning.

Just had a text from Kip as he's got into work. It says 'Oh my god, they are bl**dy awsome. amazing diference'.

Mytyres have just put their prices up by nearly 100% since the beginning of the week :(

Think I`ll just park the Raddo up instead of getting fleeced.

I ordered a set of snow tyres from mytyres and i paid a sun of 65 quid each for budget Nankang Snow SV-2 now they are a 120 quid each!!! thats taking the piss!

Easy to see why no one wants to buy winter tyres at that price.

hi all thought i would add a little to this topic, having tried a couple of different brands of winter tyres i can say with out doubt they work and make a real difference as long as its colder than about 7c . winter tyres are not softer compounds they are actually harder according to michelin and vrederstien at least ,they have little cuts in the tread blocks which act as little claws this is what gives them the grip and because of these little cuts(sipes) the tyre generates friction which creates heat which is why they use harder compounds. in the case of michelin alpin 3s these cuts(sipes) only run to 4mm in depth so when the tyre is half worn it becomes a summer tyre albeit not quite as good as a dedicated summer tyre ,having looked at the khumo kw23 that too has most sipes cut only 4mm into the tread suggesting the also would become less effective as a winter tyre when half worn. :)

First impressions of the Conti TS800s are great :D

Went out and did a 20 mile circuit in -1 deg and there was that usual slimey greasey film you get on the roads over winter. Hunted out some known understeery turns and roundabouts and they felt brilliant. They are very soft and feel like they are sucking onto the tarmac like leechs.

One thing to bear in mind is you can't just jump in and throw the car around like you can on summer tyres. Because of that softness, they will let go if pushed hard, but they do so very progressively and safely. Summer tyres just let go very abrubtly with no warning.

Bring on the snow :D

Had a great drive to work in the snow Saturday morning Kev, got up our road with no effort at all and its quite steep, i normally struggle to get off the drive let alone get up the road.

Extremly pleased with them so having some on the back too tomorow :lol: