Sign in to follow this  
Toby

Variable Intermittent Wipers please...

I would like these on my G60. Can I swap in the relevant relay? Does anyone know which one it is, what from the VAG group it's on and how to identify it so that I can get one from a scrap yard rather than paying VW prices ??!!

Cheers

Toby

yup, all C's should have them as standard... 8) (in fact most VWs had them from late H plate onwards)

Do you know how they are supposed to be activated TOBY?

The idea is that you turn on your intermittent wipers, after it's done a sweep of the windscreen, turn 'em off and wait for the length of time you want the delay to be, then turn 'em back to intermittent again. Voila! the delay between wipes should be teh delay that you waited between turning off and then back on again... 8)

IIRC, you can set it at anything between just under a second upto about 6 seconds delay time... 8)

what the...

So i just turn the wipers onto the first setting, then off again when i have the tap gap i want...then on again?

Nearly, turn 'em onto the intermittent setting, (down on the stalk) wait for it to complete one sweep of the windscreen, turn 'em off and wait for how long you want the delay to be, then put 'em back to the intermittent setting... 8)

And it's worth noting the default setting is restored after the igntion is switched off.

The relay might be faulty if it's not working and it's the tallest one in the fuseboard, black in colour. Can't remember the number but 19 rings a bell....

K

I have tried, but with no luck.

I'll have another "more careful" go and see.

I'm on an H plate though so maybe I am too young ??

cheers henny..i'll give it a try. I wonder if the rain sensors from the new honda's could be somehow fitted to the corrado...another post i guess. :?:

my old f plate mk2 golf 16v had intermitent wipers,so i should imagine all corrados had them

Not with user variable delay though....... unless your particular car was spec'd up.

I'm on an H plate though so maybe I am too young ??

Nah, my old H plate 16V had it... In fact, thinking about it, my old MKII Golf GTI (G plate) had it too... 8) (and with any luck, my MKI 16V WILL have it when I get around to rebuilding it! :wink: )

Im so glad i read this today as i thought i was going crackers over the last few months.

Sometimes the gap was huge, other times it was real quick, and im thinking... 'am i imagining this?' ....'how do the wipers know how much rain is falling, they didnt have rain sensors on VW's back then did they?'

Anyway, i actually figured it out yesterday :shock: whist driving in quite heavy rain, and by coincidence read this thread today!

Ooh zzose klever people at Ze VolksVagen fek-toree!

and it's the tallest one in the fuseboard, black in colour. Can't remember the number but 19 rings a bell....

Mine either doesn't have the variable intermittent or it doesn't work. I've just spent the last 10 mins trying!!

The relay is No. 19 and black, but isn't any bigger than any of the others on the board.

it also has A7051 printed on it in white (like the 19)

Part No. is 191 955 531 and it also says 'UH2 12V SIEMENS 72 WV 006 Made in Austria' on it.

Can one of you guys that has working variable intermittent please check your relay for me...

Thanks

Toby

Think I've just found the answer on ETKA.

I bet you guys have relay 357 955 531 or 3B0 955 531

If the pin layout is the same hopefully I'll be able to do a swap. Mine has 4 pins in the usual orientaion, plus one extra small pin in the corner.

191 *** *** = MKII Golf... :roll:

Someone's swapped your relay for an early golf one. AFAIK They are interchangable so you can fit the later variable relay into an early car... 8)

191 *** *** = MKII Golf... :roll:

Someone's swapped your relay for an early golf one. AFAIK They are interchangable so you can fit the later variable relay into an early car... 8)

not sure of the part number on my 1990 16v but it's not the variable intermittent type, I think this was an update to VW models around 1991. Be handy if they were a direct swap though. I know my dad tried a variable intermittent relay on his Audi 80 and it didn't work although the pin arrangement looked the same.

David.

i'm still not clear, is it possible to get hold of variable intermitant wiper relays and swap for the one i currently have in my '90 16V?

If im reading the bentley manual correctly which im sure i am :wink: pre 92 models (none vr6) did not have the variable intermitant wiper relay.

ofcoarse the info in the manual is based on US spec models.

as i understand the diagrams in the manual the variable intermitant wiper relay is a direct replacement for the fixed intermitant wiper relay

I was under the impression that the pre-facelift models didnt have the variable intermittent wipers, im pretty sure my late 91 g60 doesnt. how can you tell if it has it and its not working??

It's only the relay that controls the variable intermittent wipers... If it's not working, but you still have an intermittent setting that works, then the odds are that you need a new relay...

AFAIK all UK Corrados were fitted with this variable relay as standard 8) (my old H plate 16V had it)

Oh okay, sounds like a new relay is on the cards for me!

cheers Henny

Should be a larger relay than most of the rest of 'em in the box... If it's not, someone's replaced it with a golf one (or similar) which hasn't got the variable facility... :roll: