Sign in to follow this  
Rinse

Corrado to Mk2 Golf?

So after my G60 going to the Corrado Yard in the sky, I've been looking for something to replace it. Nothings been coming up that's taken my interest (in my price range) and decided to spend some of the money I got back from Insurance for flights to Vancouver to visit a mate. Which leaves me with just under £1000 to spend on a replacement.

Been thinking about getting a Mk2 Golf as I've always wanted one, but wanting to know what it will be like doing the transfer from a Corrado to a Mk2 as I've never been in one/driven one.

Just now I've got two options on what to do.

Have been talking to my mate that bought my first Rado Valver and have come to the Agreement he's going to have a good think about selling it whilst he's offshore, and if he wants to sell it back he's going to MOT it for me and will sell it back for the price I sold it to him for unless I find something else whilst he's away.

On the other hand I'm thinking about looking for a mk2, just to see what like. Especially since before I bought my first Corrado that's what I was originally looking for.

Any input would be awesome.

Thanks

Keeve.

a mk2 will be like going back 10 years in time from a Corrado, upright dash and simpler dials, very upright windscreen and very 80's interior, noisier too.

even the factory electric window versions look like an aftermarket bodge :lol:

Might be fun, even an 1.8 8v, but a lot different to a C, even if so much is shared between them parts bin wise.

Thread should be re-named to "Put me off getting a mk2" :lol:

That comment alone has swayed the Rado in favour...

Thread should be re-named to "Put me off getting a mk2" :lol:

That comment alone has swayed the Rado in favour...

Mk 2 Golfs are more expensive to buy than Corrados right now, so another vote to get another C.

Mk2's are great cars but its hard to compare them to the Corrado. As said it will be more dated then the Raddo but what do you expect, the design was first introduced early 80's. Also dont get caught up in the 8v / 16v debate as they are both good.

Buying a Mk2 now is all about condition, buy the mintest example you can. I prefer the later small bumper models with the sinle front side window. A G or F reg diamond silver one would be ideal.

...Also dont get caught up in the 8v / 16v debate as they are both good.

8v G60 or G60 limited, I know which one I'd have :D

...Also dont get caught up in the 8v / 16v debate as they are both good.

8v G60 or G60 limited, I know which one I'd have :D

Yep, only snag with the later one is that after chatting to a mate of my mine who used to own one (the RHD conversion one) he said he was always a little worried about driving it as they are so rare and didn't want to get it taken out by some muppet not paying attention.

G60 :pukeright:

16V Turbo Technics :salute:

:lol:

Seriously though, I had 4 or 5 MK2s of varying specs and power levels and loved them at the time, but there is absolutely no way on earth I could go back to one after a Corrado, especially not from the VR6 platform which handles loads better than a MK2 (imo).

On the plus side, they are cheap to run, cheap to insure and easy to maintain and still have a massive cult following. And everytime you go to the dealer, they won't ask you what a MK2 Golf is and that all the parts for it are obsolete.

Agreed with Coullstar. Post 87 small bumper is pick of the crop, especially in Helious or Monza blue 8)

I had an A reg red 8v years ago, it went like f00k! I loved the thing but IMO they're a backwards step from a Corrado.

As a second car yeah def get one.

But it is hard to adjust down as the guys said before. maybe a mk3? not as scene but has all the trimmings.

As a second car yeah def get one.

But it is hard to adjust down as the guys said before. maybe a mk3? not as scene but has all the trimmings.

and no soul either.

Maybe it's an age barrier but I hate the Mk 3s.

I did run both a rado and mk 2 for a while, the difference between the 2 is night and day in terms of ride and build, although the mk 2 was good fun to drive.

From my experience you'll not regret buying a Mk2 golf gti. My girlfriend has an 8v which despite having a few things needing work and being far less refined than my corrado I love driving it. Yes its a world apart from the refinement and comfort of my corrado (heaters that work also help in this weather) but I love getting out in it and find it a lot easier to drive in the daily commute to work (and a lot more economical). Its a car I always wanted to own but never got round to owning until recently and now neither of us want to change it for something more modern.

As has been said before they are a bit dated but handle fairly well. I've had both 8 and 16v but prefer the torque of a 8v. Get another Rado man. They are way cheaper to buy than a decent golf mk2 and a lot more unique to those in the know :wink: Performance wise i wont go back form a vr, but i could be tempted by a mk2 vr6 8)

I have had a MK2 gti 8v on an E plate, and i must say it was a great car, it had 90k when i bought and 145k when i sold it! I used to thrash it everywhere (in my younger days) and it loved it. Very reliable i could go anywhere in it, in fact it is one of the longest owened cars i have had, over four years! And if i could afford to run one as a second car i would do it all again.

I had a couple of Mark IIs and loved them both but went from them to Corrados and would never go back!

Both great cars in different ways. I love driving a standard 8V MK2 but you'll notice the difference (for the better) when you start driving a Corrado again.

Anyway just go and buy a MK2, try it and if you're not keen then sell it on.

I had a Mk2 16v GTI for three years before my Corrado.

In short, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. I loved it. In comparison with the Corrado, ignoring the obvious stuff like interior, acceleration etc, the Rado feels like "a serious motor", whereas the Golf was more "lighthearted and fun".

I would buy an 8v the next time round though: More choice, cheaper, better mpg, very little speed difference unless your thrashing it, and the engine management system is more robust (16v is mechanical K-Jet which is fiddly to optimise).

I also had a Mk2 GTi 16v - in Oak Green, albeit a bit of a sheddy one, for about a year as a stop-gap before finding my VR and would echo the comments that they are great cars but not as good as the Corrado. I had both for about a month before selling the Mk2 and when driving them back to back I found the Mk2 to feel like a tractor in comparison, with an industrial gearbox, high driving position, raspy engine and loads more body roll when cornering.

However driving around in a Mk2 GTi is definitely an event too as they're so iconic, they're very rewarding when driven aggresively and they have great road presence - I found mine got more looks than my Corrado. A couple of minor pros they have over the Corrado not mentioned so far are that you can easily fit a MTB in the back and car parks are much easier to negotiate due to the higher seat & shorter door!

Sounds like you should try one anyway as you've always wanted one. :salute:

From the comments in this thread I think I'm going to hold out a couple weeks till I see how my old Rado does in the MOT. I'll decide from there if I want to go for a mk2.

Can always buy a mk2 as a daily when things get serious with the C. :clap: