Portent

Storm premium?

Just a quickie... do Storms still command a slight premium in price over an equivalent spec and condition VR? If so then any idea what that premium is? And is there any difference in desirability between the blue and green Storms?

Also, if I find one then how do I confirm it is a genuine Storm?

basic storm info here

Mystic blue with black leather seems to be the most desirable colour, but the beige leather on the green does look nice IMO

It's worth what someone's prepared to pay, and with only 500 storms ever registered and them being a 'final' edition they will always command a premium over a non-storm VR6 with leather.

As davidwort said the mystic blue seems to be more sought after, I suppose this is in part to the fact that classic green was used on standard corrados and is therefore less exclusive.

The only way to check if it's genuine is to contact vw with the reg or vin no and they will confirm. It won't be listed on the V5.

Thanks. I read on one advert recently of a standard VR6 being Mystic Blue as it was an option. Is this correct? Or was it never an option?

The car might well be a Storm but Mystic Blue was never offered as a cost option on non-Storms. Don't ignore the possibility that the seller could be describing something like an Aqua blue car as Mystic just to grab a sell. I've seen it tried before. Of course the car could also have been resprayed in the colour.

Also bear in mind that the heated leather and aircon were not exclusive to the Storms. Both were available as options on standard cars. If you like the (Solitude) wheels fitted to the Storm they're easily sourced as they were standard fitment to Golf VR6's for years.

There is still a premium for Storms but more important these days is the condition of the actual car. Mr Ots for example has a lovely and beautifully looked after Storm, but I've seen a lot of knackered mingers too. You should expect nothing else on what is now (at it's youngest) a 14 year old car.

John

Just to clarify, although heated leather seats came as standard, aircon was an option on the Storm. I know this as unfortunately mine does not have it :(

BTW John, thanks for the compliment :)

Just to clarify, although heated leather seats came as standard, aircon was an option on the Storm. I know this as unfortunately mine does not have it :(

BTW John, thanks for the compliment :)

Slightly off topic on my own thread, but I'd take heated seats and a sunroof over aircon :) I have a Golf V6 4Mo with heated leather, air con, etc, etc. I use the aircon a few days a year. But I remember my days in my old mk3 VR6 and I loved having the seats on and sunroof open on a cold winters night :D

As mentioned there will always be a small premium but these days a Corrado's value is all about condition, condition, condition. Many Storms are in the hands of owners who knew what they had a few years back - hence even though 14 years old I imagine many have had 10 years TLC. What I like about the Classic Green ones is the cream leather interior - much cooler to sit on in the summer IMHO.

As davidwort said the mystic blue seems to be more sought after, I suppose this is in part to the fact that classic green was used on standard corrados and is therefore less exclusive.

The only way to check if it's genuine is to contact vw with the reg or vin no and they will confirm. It won't be listed on the V5.

Just out of interest, is there no other way of checking,like codes on the little sticker on the rear valance, i'm just thinking back to the mk1 golf gti campaign, which, if you had a genuine campaign(apart from the vin number being different(pre campaigns were DW, The campaign model was EW) there where a series of different codes which showed specific options like pirelli alloys, leather steering wheel etc (can't for the life of me remember the codes!).

The campaigns also had it sometimes marked on the v5 as 'special', although not always.

On a differnet note,(helious) Blue is also the most sought after mk1 golf gti campaign colour, like the corrado storm, all the other colours had been previously used.

Tom

The thing that always makes me laugh is that, even though Mystic Blue was unique to the Storm on the Corrado at least, it was used as a standard colour on the MK3 Golf! That said, it is a great colour and it does really suit the Corrado (one of my favourite colours) but I just love how VW used a colour that was already common on the MK3 but just because it's on the Corrado they designated it as special somehow ;)

Just out of interest, is there no other way of checking,like codes on the little sticker on the rear valance, i'm just thinking back to the mk1 golf gti campaign, which, if you had a genuine campaign(apart from the vin number being different(pre campaigns were DW, The campaign model was EW) there where a series of different codes which showed specific options like pirelli alloys, leather steering wheel etc (can't for the life of me remember the codes!).

I ve read that genuine storms will have the chassis number of SK002 or SK003 within the chasiss number itself. You can check this

1. On the V5 document

2. On the Vin plate in the engine bay

3. On the sticker at the back of the boot

4. Or check with VW themselves just to be sure

They must have a different coding somewhere as iirc, storms are group 19 insurance where as a standard VR6 is 18.

Thanks. I read on one advert recently of a standard VR6 being Mystic Blue as it was an option. Is this correct? Or was it never an option?

If this is the ad you mean, I have seen that car and can confirm that it is Aqua Blue not Mystic Blue.

The campaigns also had it sometimes marked on the v5 as 'special', although not always.

On a differnet note,(helious) Blue is also the most sought after mk1 golf gti campaign colour, like the corrado storm, all the other colours had been previously used.

Tom

The options sticker on the rear valance does not have any indicator for the Storm designation.

This is the decoded list from my sticker:

X2B = National sales program Great Britain

B0N = Component parts set, complying with vehicle type for Great Britain, various parts

C2B = Alloy wheels 6.5J x 16

G0C = 5-speed manual transmission

H1V = Tires 225/45 R17

J1L = Battery 280 A (60 Ah)

Q1D = Sports front seats

1AE = Electronic differential lock (EDL/ABS)

1G9 = Space-saving spare wheel for temporary use, radial tire (5-hole)

1MV = Leather steering wheel

3AE = Right exterior mirror: flat, electrically adjustable and heated

3BF = Left exterior mirror: convex, electrically adjustable and heated

T6Q = 6-cylinder gasoline engine 2.9 L unit 021.D

3FD = Electric sliding/pop-up sunroof

9BA = W/o additional electric safety package

9HA = Without additional malfunction display

9C2 = Without special headlight activation mode but with "Coming and Leaving Home" function

8GD = Alternator 90A

8RL = 6 speakers (passive)

8TD = Rear fog light for driving on the left

4A3 = Seat heater for front seats separately controlled

8BF = Halogen headlight for driving on the left

8WD = Integrated front fog light

1BA = Standard suspension/shock absorption

A couple of errors in the list though, such as 16" wheels and 225 tyres.

(You can decode your options list here: http://igorweb.org/equidec/Default.aspx)

I ve read that genuine storms will have the chassis number of SK002 or SK003 within the chasiss number itself. You can check this

1. On the V5 document

2. On the Vin plate in the engine bay

3. On the sticker at the back of the boot

4. Or check with VW themselves just to be sure

All 500 of the Storms were produced within the final production of 1300 cars and were not in sequential order, i.e. standard cars and storms were all mixed in together. The last corrado coincidentally, a Classic Green Storm, was SK004043.

This would suggest all of the Storms should fall within the vin range of SK002744 to the known final vin of SK004043

They must have a different coding somewhere as iirc, storms are group 19 insurance where as a standard VR6 is 18.

Some insurance databases will list Storms as Storms and some will not (I know this from getting various quotes on mine). I suspect the ones that do collected the information when the the car was insured by a previous owner.

If it is not stated on the V5, then the insurers have no way of knowing unless you tell them.

If you want to be entirely sure it's a Storm then call VW and they can very quickly confirm either way. If it's mystic blue and has the LC5L paint code on the options stiker then it's a pretty sure bet it's genuine. Classic Green should definately be checked with VW!

Give me a nice VR6 Corrado with Air Con over a storm any day.

As for only using air con a few times a year, i used mine all the time especially when it rained, clears the condensation in no time, you dont just use it when its hot.

Storms are nice in an exclusive kind of way but if there were two VR6's, one was storm and one had air con id take the Air Con'd car everytime.

Horses for courses..

Give me a nice VR6 Corrado with Air Con over a storm any day.

As for only using air con a few times a year, i used mine all the time especially when it rained, clears the condensation in no time, you dont just use it when its hot.

Storms are nice in an exclusive kind of way but if there were two VR6's, one was storm and one had air con id take the Air Con'd car everytime.

Horses for courses..

agree aircon is more useful in the winter in our climate !

Or you could get a Storm with air con 8)

Don't use mine very much but when its been freshly charged its ultra cold (less than 6c on the coldest setting IIRC)

Hi davidwort. I like the color that you said. It seems so cool and it would fit my fashion. :D

Do you also like Spam?

All 500 of the Storms were produced within the final production of 1300 cars and were not in sequential order, i.e. standard cars and storms were all mixed in together. The last corrado coincidentally, a Classic Green Storm, was SK004043.

This would suggest all of the Storms should fall within the vin range of SK002744 to the known final vin of SK004043

Not quite...............

It was a final production order of 1300 Corrados placed by VW(UK) with the factory. The order was part of overall orders for both RH Drive & LH Drive during a period from Dec'94 to June '95.

First Storm is Chassis 002436 as far as I know.

Then random standard model production with RHDrive and LHDrive models. The ratio was 2 Corrado's were RH Drive (including the Storms) and 1 LH Drive for every 3 Corrados that passed down the line while Storms were being assembled.

Last Storm which was publically sold is Chassis 003592 as far as I know. Mystic Blue

The very last Storm sits way out at the end of Corrado production by special request of VW(UK) for it to be the last Corrado made and delivered to VW from the Karmann factory. This was chassis 004043. Now in the Wolfsburg Museum collection. (Classic Green)

The last Corrado was 004044. It was the very last to be made and never delivered to VW. It was placed in the Karmann Collection at Osnabruck. (Classic Green/Light Beige Leather - LH Drive).

There are 8 RH Drive Classic Green VR6 with Light Beige Leather non-storm Corrados produced within the Storm production window, 002436 - 003592. Three Classic Green/Light Beige Leather have been "forged" into Storms, one by a dealer.

The Storm's left Karmann as ordinary high spec. VR6's. So Karmann never produced them as Storms as a model campaign build. It was a VW (UK) marketing ploy just as with the Scirocco Storms in the UK previously. A clever one considering the debate still continues today, some 16 years later! The Storm badges were fitted at the dealers, hence why the rear badge is never in the same place on the rear panel.

Great stuff there RW1. I've just checked mine and it's chassis no is within these ranges. So a 100% genuine Storm. On the subject of price I think you can charge a premium if you're able to throw in a lovely crisp Storm brochure with the car. Lol

Great stuff there RW1. I've just checked mine and it's chassis no is within these ranges. So a 100% genuine Storm. On the subject of price I think you can charge a premium if you're able to throw in a lovely crisp Storm brochure with the car. Lol

If yours is classic green then just because it falls within the range stated by RW1 doesn't confirm it is a storm. As he mentions, there were 8 classic green VR6's produced with beige leather which could have been badged as storms by owners.

If you want to be completely sure then phone VW and they will be able to confirm.

It's been 3 - 4 years since I got rid of my green Storm. (Was trying to get a mortgage at the time.) Fingers crossed by this time next year I'll be able to get another - preferably another green one (love the beige leather).

There don't seem to be many around in original, good nick (as mine was). I'll keep my eye on the market.