Rams

Rotrex Charged Storm: She's Gone!

Cheers guys,

Once my camera charges up I will show you the headlining and centre console and a few nice bits which have been trimmed. The gear gaitor is in alcantara with the leather surround and storm badge :lol:

The blend of leather and alcantara looks great, bit softer on the eye and ties everything in well. I have now given him my rear view mirror to trim in alcantara, then hes doing the door handles and plastic door pull surrounds in leather. I have a set of Chrome door pulls ready to fit, manage to get the other pedal to complete the TT pedal set wih 2 pedals without the rubber stopper behind it.

The chap that did the headlining spent along time on it, even his boss stayed behind after work to help him complete it. It's smilpy awesome. He wrapped it up for me in a big box with foam and masking tape which was a result. The guy is seriously the muts nuts, I would say anyone looking for a superb quality re trim, use this guy. He has been a pleasure to deal with and actually said he gets enjoyment from a proper job.

There are still a couple of marks that need cleaning on the bits trimmed, but as he will be re fitting and fettling, this will all be done once fitted and polished up.

Any ideas of the cost of the rear quarter glass?

Edited by Rams

Rear boot liner, also leather trimmed along with lock surround

Edited by Rams

Loving the look of that!! Can i ask how much to get it done?

The hyde cost me £460 pounds, it was 85 square foot which is unusall, normally they are 65 square foot. So I had a result there. The alcantara was 85 pounds a square meter, cant recall how much we used of that but did headliner, sun visors, gear gator and healiner front clip and rear view mirror.

They spent hours on the headlining, also he said the rear quarter top panels were the hardest parts to do. He hasn't done the sun visors yet though!

He spent a couple of hours detailing the leather hyde before cutting out the necky bits as he called them and used the best sections, stretched the leather to less that paper size so it keeps all the contours and angles factory looking.

He said he only charged me a third of what they would charge at his work but paid £1050. He was a friend of a fiend bla bla bla. So in all, a few thousands pounds worth of work for a fraction of the price. It was good for me aswell as each time I collected bits he had done, I paid him chunks of moneys so I could spread the cost over the month but hes paid in full now and just the visors to collect and my rear view mirror but that wasnt factored in before.

Now discussing dashboards with him..... Ive just realised, I havent had the handle pulls done! Dam, I have no idea where they are. There is no driver pull from memory and are there 2 in the back? Or r they just a coat hanger hook? Ie is there only a passenger handle? Ive forgotten what my car looks like :shock:

To be honest I think leather triming our interior plastics will be the future. Buying them new isn't possible anymore and leather trimming looks to make them more robust, gives them a new lease of life and probably makes it more rattle free as well :lol:

Thanks chaps,

The car is really coming along. I had some basecoat applied to the lacquer to really excentuate the pearl and looking at the small area that was polished after being wet flatted it's just bloddy lovely.

He did some more work on the front bumper, even though it was were the number plates sits, but he wasn't happy with it. But we like things like that on here!

I have to have the car ready and mot passed by the 13th Feb as you get 14 days grace until you have to declare sorn. My MOT ran out on the 24th jan and Tax 31 Jan.

My top pals are ready to help me put everything back, the bonnet and slam and door and glass rubbers will be done at the body shop. Then my trimmer chap will come along and install the new bits. I will be working with my best friend on the seats and carpet and seat belts and so on whilst my other friend connects the solinoids and internal solenoid switches I have. That way, I can just push the button rather than leaning over to let a passenger in that probably wont know how to get into my car. :lol:

Write back soon

Edited by Rams

I went to see the car today and nearly fell over! I was so happy I felt like jumping up and down. Then I became quite emotional :camp: :camp: and my eyes started to water. It looked amazing!!!!!

The last time I saw the car, the paint was straight out of the gun and I left feeling a bit low and walking in today to see him polishing the car and me thinking wow, he said look at the other side. So I did and said rather loudly, '' Thats ****ing amazing Andy'' and shook his hand.

He said there is still another wet gloss process which means it will look even better! I am heading down to hs workshop tomorrow morning, between, myself, Andy and my Trimmer friend - Tim, we will assemble as much as we can. Im not sure when the glass is going in but maybe Monday.

He said that he went an extra mile with the paint job as he knew I wanted to show the car and I can genuinely see that in the paint. He also added that he has had customers cry before when they've seen their car. My chest got tight and everything! I am just as shocked that I got this excited by it all.

Now I have finally got a car to be proud, imo, one of the best out there. When I say one of the best, I mean because its a Corrado. I really would never have felt that emotion if I went straight to a BMW dealer and said I'll have that M3 please.

I have taken a couple of pics but Iphone quality as the bonnet and bumpers etc are not attached but tomorrow I will take the camera in and get some good ones, hopefully, if its dry I can get some outside.

My wheels are another story, I fell out with the guys that were supposed to remove the paint from the d90's instead, removed most of the alloy! I have now had to take them to another place, they will bead blast them to try and smooth the finish, then zinc the entire wheel in black so we can get a smooth finish on the inside of the rim and back mask the face and paint in brilliant silver.

Interior going in tomorrow people!! :clap:

Edited by Rams

It's taking a fair bit of time to put everything back, took me and a few guys a good afternoon to refit headlining and sunroof trim. Someone how, the new seal around the sunroof has made a 1 cm scratch in the lacquer so I was a bit ****ed off but it can be fixed. They might paint a touch of lacquer on it and rub it back smooth. The paint is so sensitive.

It happened whilst it was going back, I think the new seal and extra paint makes the seal a bit tighter and it was also catching whilst tilting. I also fitted the front number plate 3 mm more to one side so have to re do that.

There was 5 of us holding the headliner so it didnt crease and felt like an operation with a guy inside 2 at the front and 2 at the back. Otherwise, anyone stripping their car, DON'T do what I did and just chuck everything into a couple of pots. I had to empty everything out and work out where it all lived. The best way I have learned is to bag everything that comes off each section, so you know that those items only go in that area or one better and label everything!! To be honest, its been stressing me out as I just want the thing back together so I can get the MOT.

Bonnett now flatted back and will be polished today and hopefully the tailgate and all body parts to be re fitted today.

Ordered all new scuttle clips and screws and new plastic roof gutter clips. These will be colour coded. But not the roof rubbers. Updates coming soon

It's taking a fair bit of time to put everything back, took me and a few guys a good afternoon to refit headlining and sunroof trim. Someone how, the new seal around the sunroof has made a 1 cm scratch in the lacquer so I was a bit ****ed off but it can be fixed. They might paint a touch of lacquer on it and rub it back smooth. The paint is so sensitive.

It happened whilst it was going back, I think the new seal and extra paint makes the seal a bit tighter and it was also catching whilst tilting. I also fitted the front number plate 3 mm more to one side so have to re do that.

There was 5 of us holding the headliner so it didnt crease and felt like an operation with a guy inside 2 at the front and 2 at the back. Otherwise, anyone stripping their car, DON'T do what I did and just chuck everything into a couple of pots. I had to empty everything out and work out where it all lived. The best way I have learned is to bag everything that comes off each section, so you know that those items only go in that area or one better and label everything!! To be honest, its been stressing me out as I just want the thing back together so I can get the MOT.

Bonnett now flatted back and will be polished today and hopefully the tailgate and all body parts to be re fitted today.

Ordered all new scuttle clips and screws and new plastic roof gutter clips. These will be colour coded. But not the roof rubbers. Updates coming soon

scratched my bumper on friday as well mate..!!! managed to touched it in and buff back with 2000

scratched my bumper on friday as well mate..!!! managed to touched it in and buff back with 2000

Thats fortunate for you it buffed out.

The windscreen fitter told me today that I needed a new rubber for the front middle section. I called TPS and waited to hear the words its not available, but he said, it was available and £6 pounds or something cheap! Result. I ordered 2!! LOL Seriously, just incase someone needs one at some point or a spare. My rubber must have been pushed back on too soon from when the screen had been removed before by previous owner as when I was pulling it off it damaged a section of it where the glue had made contact with the rubber.

Painted the scuttle covers today matt black. Quite happy with how they look.PS The heat gun method does not work

Edited by Rams

Ok, went down today to see the car and just cant believe this baby is mine. I just cant keep my eyes of it!

The roof has to be re done as it scratched badly when opening, its good in a way as the small scratch yesterday was going to be fixed, now its going to be re done.

Also, theres a tiny dent in the near side wing, I didnt notice it till the painter pointed it out. So I need to find a dent master company to sort it out. Its accessable from the inner wing. The more I think about it, I might try and put the inner arches back in and modify it to suit. Any stones that fling up could damage the bodywork. I'm a bit gutted about it as the car is spotless. On a happier note, I am so please with how it looks and the small extra colour coded bits and nice fresh paint over the splitter and scuttle panel make all the difference.

The glass fitter showed me how the front screen went back together and I helped fit the screen. He put the rubbers on first so it could all be neat then fitted the screen. It was nice to see it being fitted, it kind of re assures you in a way.

I have my personal plate on now, I showed you a while back but just the last 2 letters. What do you think? I've heard a few different comments but most read it as NICE VR.

Again, sorry about the recent pictures, my camera died and I chucked it in the bin yesterday so I will buy something tomorrow ready for some good pics. Wheels will be another week I recon, I've asked him to do his best to get them painted as I dont want to drive the car with the current wheels. The wheels look silly now with the bigger arches.

Thursday is the finishing post, car booked in once its collected to have the new exhaust fitted and then MOT friday. I should be able to get all he interior put back then.

How's it getting on mate, looking awesome in the pics. Super smooth and clean, the wheels should set it off :) well have to make the nexttidy meet or have a mini rado meet here in Bournemouth

Hi Craig, Car is now water tight, exhaust fitted tonight and sounds sweet. Still have to put the interior back in. I could do with a hand actually if you are about? I am trying to figure out where everything goes. Also, my main headlights are coming on when the switch is in the side light position. If you are too busy, would you be able to send me a few pictures of the seat belt parts and slam panel and rear boot area?

Hows the manifold? I hear your car is very tidy and the guys were impressed. Hope he looked after you anyway

Sorry mate have only just seen your post, I'm busy 2m (manchester derby and rugby) but apart from cleaning the car I'm free Sunday if that's not too late? if so send me your mob no and I can take some pics in the morning of what you need and mms them across. If not can head over Sunday. Yeah Chubba did a great job! Manifold looks good and gives a deeper note. And he sorted a knocking I had that I couldn't locate, was the cat against the heat shield :) so super chuffed

I have some troubles with the c.

The headlight fuse burned on the inline fuse to he headlight upgrade wiring loom and I cant get side side lights. Unless the ignition is off. I also get full headlights with the light switch in the side light position.

Central locking now sorted, but the immobiliser is not working. Nor is it flashing.

I have had a look near the fuse board and found a couple of plugs that are not connected. A blue and yellow plug that will plug into one another.

Also, another spare brown and white wire with a clear/white plug. Another yellow and brown wire with a spade conector that I fitted to the circular part up near the door grommit - earthing point I believe. Also mirrors wont adjust but make a noise.

Heated seats are working, stereo but when I turned the fog lights on the 15 amp fuse blows. I havent tried a new fuse since I replaced the 20 amp one for the headlight loom. Yesterday, the windows worked but only down, then they didnt work at all but make the a noise like they are trying.

I really want everything working, have been for a 40 mile drive tonight to give the battery a good charge. The coilovers need adjusting, too soft at the moment and the rear needs lowering but have to wait for the wheels to be ready so will hang on till then before getting the hight I want.

Wiring is my worst nightmare but I am convinced there is an issue with the plugs / wiring near the fuse board. Must have happened as the doors were removed for painting the door shuts.

Otherwise, the Jetex exhaust is just perfect.

New Sat when the wheels go on, the inner arches are being painted and the cills to protect them.

Fresh paint and very paranoid!

Wheels going on next week and cant wait,

Edited by Rams
added more pics

Thanks pal, still having issues with door poppers! lol. I've remove the horrid poppers and they are rusting already. They were advertised as stainless! Yeah right! Having someone copy the design and making out of billet and a bit smaller. Also, the rubber stopper split and the has exposed metal that I dont want grinding away at the door.

How are you getting on with your machine?

Yea my poppers were meant to be stainless too, ive acid etch primed them then gave them a coat of matt black. Had a bump in mine on nye! Bumper and wing are ruined. Was never 100 percent happy with the finish on mine so when it gets a bit hotter its coming off the road and im gunna redo it myself. Yours shall be my inspiration!

Sorted the headlight issue thanks to the forum. The painter had connected it up and with the headlight upgrade it didnt like it! Windows now fully working. mirrors now fully working but when you press arrow up, mirror goes down and all the opposite directions. Is this correct or should you press right arror for mirror to go out right. I think its round the wrong way....

Other than the sunroof seal, if I get the roof sliding back, the rubber seal works ok, sometimes doesnt fully compress when closed in 1 or 2 small areas. If I get the roof to tilt it would slide back unless I press down a bit on the rear and then she goes back fine. The seal was put on with the join to the long front line and re reading C5 OEM thread it says it should go from right hand side short length.

The car is going back in tomorrow for inner arches and cills to be protected and coated so everything is sealed and longer lasting. Wheels going on too, it should really be a different looking car with the wider stance. This saturday has seemed to take forever to arrive!

The exhaust is sounding deeper already, really think it was a great purchase especially with the discount.

Had the small dent removed in the wing, had to watch him gently hammer my wing which made certain bits of skin wobble. lol, You would never know it was there!

Got all the Amp cables and rca's in before the carpet went down so its nice and neat, just need to buy some spreakers and an amp.

Still a few niggly bits to sort, havent put the lower door rubbers on yet, the ones under the door itself, but will do this today once all the glue is removed. Also, the Halfords LED indicator bulbs are blinking nice and orange through the all red rear lights. A couple of round trim bits that I have no idea where they go. The search continues.

The wheels are on and looking good! Have lowered the car but on my drive tonight found light rubbing when I gunned it round a bumpy bend. I did sofen them up as it was too hard and I was jumping up and down even when I arrived at my destination. It was so bad! lol Tomorrow I might lift them up 5 mm.

A funny thing happened today, I went to collect some parts for my Transit and a golf vr6 pulled up. I said to the guy that it was a nice colour - mystic blue - and so the conversation started. He told me he was breaking the car as it could bear anyone driving it as it was his pride and joy, he said he had already sold the coilovers and he showed me a Bonrath power rohr, ram air induction kit and bought them for £15. I 've been after an OBD 2 loom from ecu to fuse board since I can remember so I said I wanted the loom and if he could take it out carefully.

Then I spotted the air con and alpine door speakers. Then alarm bells ring, 2.8 block, ideal for turbo application.................. I also heard the engibe running both as he pulled up and as he drove onto the ramps and the engine sounds lovely and smooth, even the main tensioner bearings sounded smooth. He added that he had a spare gearbox but had a slight wine between 1st and 2nd but would throw that in, so engine plus gearbox, spare box, all the other bits for £250! Even the air con, rad, pump, pipe work and will have the new loom air con ready. I ended up having it put in my van, borought the guys crane lift and within 20 minutes, it was in my friends garage.

So, need to find out if the gearbox is different to my vr, is the golf vr box better/different?

Now I need to decide once and for all. Turbo or supercharge? I have turbo days then I doubt my decision.... The way I see it is the rado is for fun, its all my hard earned money becoming something tangable. So Turbo makes sence, plus my mechanic Chubby knows Turbos so that helps matters. Will be reading up on what to do with the 2.8 block, make into 2.9 and change pistons, seals, conrods etc strap it all down, get the new loom in place, engine out and can complete the pint job with doing the engine bay.

Couldn't say no to £250!

My trimmer had finished all my bits, the rear view mirror was taken to pieces and trimmed in such a neat way it just looks amazing, the sun visors were also a piece of art. He managed to retain both mirrors and even leather trimmed the plastic mirror slider on the drivers sunvisor! To top it all off, I had him leather trim the ashtray. It is faultless.

Bad points, my door has a paint crack, I have an idea on whats happened but it need to be stripped back and re done and the cills are not quite right on closer inspection. I wanted it smooth and in some places they were and others not. I want to get rid of the dimples for a smooth body like finish. So the car is booked back in on the 14th March to take care of this.

Pics to follow

A few pics of Craig's VR and mine. I had to chuck my camera in the bin so again, iphone quality. I know then next time I will give people some notice but there are a handful of local nice cars. I will save that for another topic.

My c is now on d90's. I know I planned to do polished lips but I had a real nighmare with the wheels in getting the coating off so they were zinc coated, and face of wheels masked and painted bright silver with slight flek with the rest of the wheels black.