Rams

Rotrex Charged Storm: She's Gone!

Hi again, bit of an update........

I have my spare dash with Tim, my trimmer. We have discussed the stich lines and the general layout. Will be very similar to the Campagne model once finished. Keeping with the Porsche Nappa leather thinned down for sharper lines. I am still looking for a set of front Recaro seats.... Really want a set.

I have an ABS fault, light came on over a week ago and havent had time to investigate further. Today, the brakes were biting whilst driving into a car park, it did this a few times, I must have looked like a twat as the gf kept breaking itself. The light went off but came back on again. Probably a duff or loose sensor? Also, I have been told by a couple of friends who were following me that for a brief moment, my car was chicking out smoke from the exhaust. I wondered why they were flashing me.... Then they said it just cleared and the rest of the journey was fine...... Not sure if she needs setting up since going OBD2? Still have the original leads ... Mabe I should put a new set on, they are probably 3/4 years old?

Next week, I am doing an oil change to the syntha silver, been using the gold stuff and thought I would try something a bit thicker. Looking back through the car service history, most of the vw services were done using Syntha Gold.

Catch up soon,

Rams

Hi everyone, bit of an update, its been a while.....

Managed to get the dashboard out this afternoon, fairly straight forward, a couple of plastic tabs broke off so will be on the hunt for a few bits.

The new dash is almost finished, going to cover the bit at the back where the air holes are and do a bit of a mod there. I cant wait to get the new dash in, it just looks superb. Went with a matching double stich line and will have the front of the glove box done. Re trimming some of the steering wheel cowlings in Alcanatara and will be doing a few other things.

Have order some spacers adaptors for the rear changing out the 40mm ones for 30mm, should look a bit better, also removed the 40mm ones from the front and swaped them with the rears which were 35mm.

The door pods I bought from here are being stripped, removing the carpet and having them tidyed up, smoothed down and then leather trimmed, now just need to find some nice components as I can put the tweeters in the dash and have it looking quite subtle.

Tomorrow I plan to find the bits I broke today and get the heater matrix out. Might as well change it now even though there have been no leaks.

The list of goodies for the Turbo build are starting to come through, picking up the stripped engine so it can be taken to an engineering firm to check it over and carry out works as required. Once thats done, I can order the pistons and con rods and bearing etc, etc etc.

I had my chassis notched as the drive shaft was rubbing on the driver side, plate welded and all sealed and sholts, I can now go lower if I need to but I will probably wont.

Will get some good pics up of the dash when its all in, I hope it changes the feel of the interior quite a bit and make it a nicer place to sit.

Rams

Campagne model

Is that a French version I don't know about !

Seriously though, can't wait to see your car when the work is complete.

When you get the dash trimmed, there's a couple of things to bear in mind:

Speaker covers. They may need trimming away at the edges as the leather will reduce the size of their original port.

Glovebox handle. Similar to above but the trimmer may skive the leather first to reduce the thickness.

If you need any advice on this then drop me a message but by the looks of the trim work you've had done already, you shouldn't need it.

All the best

Hi guys,

The dash is done, its wrapped up in a complete douvet set so my cat wont think its a nice scratching post. The pics are just taken from the trimmer with a phone but it gives you the idea. I will take some decent pics once its all in and cleanned up.

The trimmer said he loves a challenge and enjoyed doing my sun visors and ash tray etc but he said he will never do a Corrado dash again. It was a pig of a job as I wanted it done a certain way to hide the seam near the glove box which has been achieved in my opinion.

Re the French James - I am just negociating a price for an old barn in France at the moment and have France on the brain! LOL

Mike, good to hear from you mate.

My car is in pieces again! I get these great ideas and then regret not being able to drive the car for ages, especially when the sun is out. I am waiting for John Croozing to fully remove the AC, I have been helping out when hes doing work on the car and hes been great and giving me some small items that are always nice to have. So far, my new matrix is in, the dash wires need that horrid foam thats just falling to dust in my hands removed and wrapped in loom tape, tidy wires as a bulk of wires comes over the fan arm so I want it all to be neater when re installed. Theres just the front end to come off Jogns VR so we can get to the parts, most of he other stuff I have loosened or is ready to come away. If it takes much longer then I will just re instate my car with the new dash and do the air con when the engine is removed for engine bay painting and the new lump. Then perhaps hard lines could be used and a smarter install overall.

Edited by Rams

any update on the dash mate?

Hi, couldnt post pics on PM message so here you go mate

small update....

Replaced the leads and found a small air leak to a hose, hose end had split. It's feeling 100 percent again. Quite like the red leads now. I didnt at first!

The front door cards are still off as they are be treated to a retrim in leather along with the speaker pods. Bough some of the new water proof foam stuff for the door liner and need to try and cut them to size and attach.

Also, thanks to John Croozin, he has kindly lent me his steering wheel so I can have my oem one retrimmed. Have a nice idea to bring the alcantara into the car a bit more and doing a split on the steering wheel - leather/alcantara. After these bits are done, the parcel shelf goes in and rear door cards so it just leaves the seats to do.

Think I have sourced some black leather recaro seats, will know for definate by next week. These will then need to be trimmed to match everything else. I am hopefully doing a swap for my front seats and cash but wondered what my leather front seats might be worth? They are in very good condition and heated.

Ordered some Maklor exhaust clamps to avoid the current clamp touching the rear axel. They should arrive today.

Finally, gave her an oil change at my friends garage Chubby and drained out the coolant and replaced with new. Since the smaller spacers are on the rear, it feels nice and connected.A friend recently came out with me and commented on how well the thing stuck to the road. Really did miss driving the car for the couple of months it was off the road.

There is one thing I cant work out, if driving away in first gear, the gear stick vibrates and its annoying me a bit. Its the noise it makes from the vibration. Could this be alignement of the gear selector or maybe drive shafts or something?

After having a leaking joint sorted on the exhaust, my rear beam and exhaust clamp were touching / rubbing so I investd in the Mikalor stainless exhaust clamps. Now the knocking has gone and they give a much better seal due to the shape. They also release out so you can fit them with out removing the exhaust. I recommend them. About £30 delivered from Deemon Tweeks.

Also, removed the front shock plates and tightened the bolt on the top and its now feels how it should. I need to now refurb my rear beam and rear brakes, I havent touched the rear except for the braided rear hoses. I will try and find a spare and have it stripped and powder coated and figure out what brakes I want on the back. This area of the car still looks old and crusty unlike the front which is all nice and new / powder coated.

I am also having the front door cards and steering wheel re trimmed. I am doing a leather and alcantara mix. I want to keep the OEM steering wheel but just having the seem join moved slightly further up to complement my idea with the trim. It will also make the steering wheel a bit more chunky.

Finally, bought a a cable off ebay for diagnostic and down loaded the ross tec software. Its picked up on my abs, I need to replace a sensor and will do all of that on the refurb but also, Oxygen senor came up, 00525 G39 no signal. This could be because the car wasnt warmed up or its because I was still running an OBD1 Lamba sesnor but with OBD2 setup? I am sure when we plugged the car in the fault code didnt come up so not sure if I need an obd2 Lamba? I will warm the car up first and double check if the fault code is still there? I did unclip the harness in the engine bay and cleaned the connection to start with.

Dash looks spot on. For me, the only way to trim them, is to avoid the stitch line through the middle. Well done. The window vents look good as well.

Thanks my friend,

Placed another nice order with TPS, in preparation for the rear end refurb. Changing the abs rings, rear discs and pads, wheel bearings and calliper bolts. Also ordered 2 new vag rear beam bushes. Didn't bother with polly rears in the end.

Also made the MK4 expansion header tank fit last night and lost one of the nut/bolts to hold the expansion bottle so ordered some new replacements.

Might need a new abs rear sensor but seem rather expensive, well they are from TPS. Anyone have a part numbers?

Still waiting on the door cards and steering wheel and handles to be trimmed, hopefully Tim will have them done soon. Its horrible driving the car with out door cards and undertrays. Noisy and drafty! But once everything is back in, all retrimmed and complete it will be worth the wait.

I ordered some lovely Rainbow components from Car audio security, hopefully they will be here this week so the door pods can be made to suit.

Should have a replacement rear beam, will get it stripped and coated and have all the new parts fitted This area can then be ticket off.

Lastly, I will be having the boot floor levelled so I can sort out the ICE. also, everthing can all be screwed down and more secure. I dont think theres any point holding the space saver wheel as someone said, believe it was Kev that it wouldn't fit over 288 discs.... I suppose it could be handy if the rear goes? Do others keep their spare wheel when running 288's?

Lastly, I will be having the boot floor levelled so I can sort out the ICE. also, everthing can all be screwed down and more secure. I dont think theres any point holding the space saver wheel as someone said, believe it was Kev that it wouldn't fit over 288 discs.... I suppose it could be handy if the rear goes? Do others keep their spare wheel when running 288's?

Errr... really? What do they do on MK3's with the 288's... different space saver, or do you get a full size alloy spare only? Just I'm running 288's and never gave a second thought about this! :)

The next time the wheel comes off I will try the space saver on. I read it in one of the replies about the MK4 front brake upgrade. I am sure someone will confirm. Thats why I thought I would mention it again incase it wasn't common knowledge.

Standard space saver does not fit over 288mm caliper but surely if you have a front puncture you just move the rear tyre to the front and put the saver on the back. Id do that even if it did fit over the front brakes, better to have the driven / steering wheels with proper grip. Or just get a later Mk3 space saver.

Good point... it's that sort of outside the box thinking that I never get to grips with ;)

Im just waiting for the rear conversion hoses, should be posted out to me on Monday. Rear beam stripped and going to powder coaters, picked up all new parts from TPS except for second hand vw MK4 Rear brake callipers. The 2 x abs sensors are not from TPS.

Picked the callipers for £40 delivered which I was happy with.

I dont think I will be painting them red, probably have them powder coated in a dark or silver colour.

Handbrake cables will be here Monday along with all new exhaust hangers/bushes.

Made the MK4 header tank fit the Rado braket, just need to solder the new wiring and get that fitted. Today I fitted the new headlight switch and replaced the abs lightcover with the older style to match existing. Good old Corrado Forum!

My MOT is due in Dec and once all these new parts are fitted, it will cure my ABS fault.

I also yesterday adjusted the front suspension to make it softer and its a much better ride. I was beginning to think the Gaz Coilovers were not that great but im much happier now and its just down to getting the set up how you want it.

She goes in for new paint - again! next week, hopefully Monday or Tuesday. Bought a litre of Mystic for the work, some areas need sorting to make it spot on again.

Steering wheel should be ready next week, changed my mind on some bits so wait and see what you think when it's done. Its different to other steerings wheels currently being re trimmed.

Also, my door pods are nearly ready, they have some lovely Rainbow components going in, probably spent too much on these speakers but as they are going to be the only speakers, they had to be good. Look well made with nice spiders.

Updates will follow......

Some updates:

I have taken the car into the body shop again to have some bits sorted, should be there for a week or so then the paint should be back to how I want it. One of my doors cards are finished and the trimmer sent me a picture, its not very clear as you can see but just makes me more keen to see the finished results. Hes been having trouble with the steering wheel as the original leather is moving in a spot he needs it to be tight. I wanted it trimmed over the original layer to make it more chuncky. It seems that this cant be done but it should feel nicer with new soft leather.

Edited by Rams

My steering wheel is nearly finished but heres a pic from my trimmer.

I am really happy with it, wanted to bring in some more Alcantara into the car, you don't really see the head lining when your driving!

What do you think?

now thats what the wheel should look like! Maybe the VW logo in brushed silver. Any more pics Rams?

btw how do you cover the lower portion (the bit in Alcantara) - can it be removed or is it done in situ?

Edited by fla

I was thinking only yesterday that I wanted an Alcantara steering wheel after seeing interior pics of the new C63 AMG.

Looks awesome. Good work.

Thanks chaps,

I have another picture but the ones I'm uploading are from the trimmers phone not great quality. The lower bits do come out as the pictures showed this removed. I will dig them out Hassan. Seeing the wheel on against the dash and doors cards will really make the difference.

now thats what the wheel should look like! Maybe the VW logo in brushed silver. Any more pics Rams?

btw how do you cover the lower portion (the bit in Alcantara) - can it be removed or is it done in situ?

It does come apart.....