Rams

Rotrex Charged Storm: She's Gone!

Ive been over today to see the Rado at the paint shop as I asked him to check an area on the cill that was pushing out slightly. It was rust. He removed the seam sealer off the lip and found it to be rusty, so need to weld in a new section of cil.

Bit of hassle really but at least its been found and will be sorted. Going to have then the underneath, stripped and sealed as the old sealer on the other side is starting to perrish and to give it some nice protection for the furture.

If anyone has one they are willing to sell, please give me a shout. Need to be drivers side, see pics for damage.

It does come apart.....

Thanks for that, just dismantled my wheel and have some thin suede which i might use. I'm looking for somewhere that will chrome or matt finish the VW logo to break up the black

Thanks Rod, that makes things much easier. I just assumed they wouldnt stock this item anymore, but then again, I do know what assume stands for. lol

You dont happen to know if it will include the lip underneath as per my picture?

Cheers again

Thanks for that, just dismantled my wheel and have some thin suede which i might use. I'm looking for somewhere that will chrome or matt finish the VW logo to break up the black

Would a gentle light behind the logo be too cheesy? Does the small logo bit pop out?

Would a gentle light behind the logo be too cheesy? Does the small logo bit pop out?
Not a bad idea, but how would you wire it in withouth the wires getting tangled up as the wheel were turned?

Yes, sorry, it just pops out, there is a slight retaining tag on the bottom right (looking from the top) and there is a small lip which is retained in the surround recess. Just be a little bit careful when taking it out.

Will give that VW badge some more thought......??? Maybe a solar powered led / battery?

After I purchased a pair of modified speaker pods, I took them to the trimmer to re do, once the carpet was stripped off, the surface was not smooth and he said you would see these blemishes. So, I decided to use my original pods and gave them to a friend and said can you make these for me. I bought some lovely Rainbow comps - 6.5 inch and he's adapted them to fit perfectably. Just need to see them finished and get them trimmed. The door cards are more or less complete and the steering wheel is done

The finish looks spot on now and once wrapped in leather they will be OEM +.

Car has now been at the body shop for nearly 2 weeks, miss not having the thing on my driveway

Beam and brackets all nicely powder coated, really nice job. The new repair panel cill arrived and is booked in for 1st Dec for welding and then back to the body shop for the paint. Between then I will fit all the new parts and rear beam.

Just a small update.

just had a flickr through this thread. serious commitment here and it shows off. the car looks mint. hard work always pays off. loving the leather and other interior bits.

Thanks for your kind comments.

Heres a picture of the steering wheel, needs to be slightly modified to get the click back on the horn push, simple enough.

Seen the door cards and they looks fantastic, now the entire panel is in leather than apposed to the centre sponge part. The original items are mainly vinyl with a leather section that saggs. This is because the sponge is fitted to the leather then attached to the panel, Ive had new foam which is glues and secured to the panel, edged and then the leather which will avoid the sagging you see, especially on the rears.

Handles are done, handle surrounds, and pods trial fitted before they are trimmed and sit spot on.

Next update will be in a week. Once they are back in the car, the trimmer will start the rear door cards and that will just leave the parcel shelf and front seats, when I can find them!

The trimmer said his boss that owns the company would have charged about 600 to 650 pounds to have done this wheel, so I was very pleased with what he charged me.

It sure looks different to most and I'm quite proud of that.

What a day. A little update on the beast....

Removed the rear beam with everything attached, it's no paper weight, especially with an additional rear beam brace and spacer adaptors. Completed the MK4 rear brake upgrade. Also, replaced my ball joints for good measure as it was the last item not changed in that area.

We actually cut the brake compensator off at the bracket, then drilled out the siezed heads and pressed the buggers out so I was able to re use the compensator which saves £140. I had the lever powder coated and spray painted the spring and replaced the small brake line to it.

The upgrade went well, just the carriers I got with the callipers did not fit so just used the Rado ones which are perfect fit.

Replaced,

Ball joints/nuts and clamp

Rear x2 ABS sensors

2 X ABS rings

2 X Wheel bearings

2 x Calliper piston seals, completely re furbed

2 X Goodridge conversion hoses

New Brake line to compensator

2 X Exhaust hangers and their bushes

2 X Exhaust bushes

Aligned exhaust as it now sits higher from the new rubbers

Pads

Discs,

Stub axel bolts and washers

2 X Handbrake Cables

2 X Handbrake Clips

Rear Beam

Rear beam bushes

Wiper motor

Quite a list and happy its all over. I was there all day lending a hand from 11am to 12am, rebuilt the rear beam on the ground and called a friend to lend a hand so we could both hold it whist he drove in the shock bolts.

My wipers also packed in a couple of days ago, the wipers always looked a bit slow but I managed to buy John Croozins one and that has done the trick. ABS Light now goes off so she will have no issues for MOT which is due very soon.

The replacement cil went really well, other than finding a piece of wood and 2 layers of metal welded together ontop of the cil! The numpties has welded over the drain off point so no wonder it went bad. Now all rot is removed, the new original cil in place and welded neatly. Once I get my phone back tomorrow I will post some pics of the whole process.

Hoping the body shop can have it done nice and quickly so I can install the new trimmed door cards, totally now leather and trimmed properly.

The door handles are now trimmed, the inserts for the handles, plus the surrounds for the interior handles which just looks fantastic. Pods should be finsihed this weekend and can get the comps fitted.

The sub box is also being double foamed and leather trimmed and have removed the rear armrest and door cards which the trimmer will start next week as he has some time off work. He said the seats are quite straight forward so will let him loose on the rear bench and hopefully a nice set of Recaro electric and heated seats will crop up to finish the interior. OH, yeah, getting the undertrays covered and thinking about having the steering cowling trimmed???

Pics to follow peops, lots of them!

Edited by Rams

just been admiring your car looks amazing and nice to see another VR local:cool:! did you do the rear lights your self i really want all red rear lights just leaving the clear for reverse. dont know if i could tint or buy them already done?!?

Look forward to the pics mate, will have to organise a mini meet or something locally after Xmas.

a mini meet will be great! be cool to look over some cars locally! i'd be well up for that!

Should have car back in next 2 weeks max, just in for body work and then off to be moted and then can meet up. Be nice to build up a local team. Craig, good news on the rado passing!

Still cant believe there was a piece of MDF in my cill and how bad the repair was but all now sorted. The pics of the dor cards are a bit dark but they look super.

Catch up soon

---------- Post added at 02:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 PM ----------

I need the plastic part that the rear abs sensor sits in, seem to have lost mine, just cable tied the sensor wire to the beam. Also, the brake shield TPS gave me were wrong so didnt fit them. The new set will be here on Monday and just need to take off the callipers etc and re fit that. I know its not a biggy but be nice to have it as it should.

Wow some amazing work gone into this mate :D

Is that garage yours with the lifter?

Thanks buddy

It's not my place, I did source the garage for him at a good rate so hes grateful and always looks after me. It does feel like I own the place as im there so much and we always end up finishing at 1 or 2 or even 4.30 in the morning depending on what were doing but It just adds to the experience. Cant recommend him enough, Craig now uses him on here and is equally impressed.

Some pics from the painter. She should be ready any day now and the rear glass will be removed/replaced for a good finish.

That should be me rust free now!

Going to take some better pics of the door cards and sub box that's been trimmed. The rear centre armrest is being done curently.

Working out what do trim the under trays in? Leather or Alcantara. Or a sensible split? Will see.

Hope people have had a nice break over the festive period

Bet you can't wait to get it back! I'd go for leather with the undertrays- will look more in keeping with the rest of the interior.

Some better pics of the door cards etc, they are a bit dusty etc and need a final clean before and after fitting. The door card pocket section has a nice soft lining of alcantara and did away with the leather stiching on the handle strips as they just bug me. You feel the stiching everytime you grab the handle. Your probably thinking im a little crazy, but its these things that make it more personal for me.

Bet you can't wait to get it back! I'd go for leather with the undertrays- will look more in keeping with the rest of the interior.

Your not wrong matey! I only managed a 5 min drive after the work to the rear was done and the new ball joints and it just felt great. Really together and I didn't want to stop.

Re the trimmer, if you would like his number just give me a shout, local chap called Tim. Lovely bloke and very talented.

One more pic to come, this should fill a nice gap.