Sign in to follow this  
t700bes

Central Locking and Door Handle

Hi,

I started looking last night to install my Remote Central Locking kit. I took the door card off, and noticed an air pipe AND a solenoid..

The car has a Scorpion Alarm system installed (739) which is now obselete.. Would I be right to assume that original the central locking would be on an air pump (still works and is installed), but when the alarm was fitted they needed some way to hook into the central locking and as such attached a solenoid to be able to pull the lock down which then would kick the pump into action and lock the other doors?

Ideally, I can just find the wiring from the solenoid that attaches to the alarm (which doesn't work) and wire them up?

Oh and my second problem is, somehow I have unattached or broken the door handle, as it now doesn't open the door. Its soooo fiddly getting into the door.. any ideas as to how its attached, and best methods to fix. IF its really fiddly, I might just book it into a garage to get it done...

Which remote locking kit is it? If its the RightClick one then you can do it from the base of the driver's A-pillar and don't need to go in the door.

The central locking on the Corrado is controlled entirely by the switches in the door handles. There is a red wire feeding power to the switch and a red/black and red/yellow which are pulsed with power to lock and unlock. You just need to hook the remote locking module up to those, and they can be found on a 3-way white connector on the base of the pillar near the bonnet handle.

You're right about the old alarm using solenoids, probably because the original fitter didn't understand how the Corrado's factory locking works.

As far as the door handle goes its likely that the striker has fallen off. There are loads of threads on that kicking about. You can buy the repair kit on ebay for about £30, and you need to pull the handle from the door to fit it. There is a single screw at the back of the door. Remove that and the handle slides forward and then swings out. You will need to release the central locking switch cable inside the door first though.

:cat:

Wow, thats really detailed.. Thanks!! I'm going to go into it at the back.. (where it plugs into the central locking pump). Those colours are there so thats brilliant!!! I'll attempt this today, as for the door.. to be honest, its so fidlly in there and the passengar side window needs a new regulator that I'm going to get him to fix this!!!

I REALLY appreicate the time and detail you have posted mate!!! And yes I got a rightclick one ;) Nice bit of kit :) :clap:

LOL you know what i followed the guide above but it didn't say which colour on the rightclick went to what..... So i followed your guide... I think this should be put in the wiki ;)

All works now, only thing left to do is wire up the indicators and the electirc windows for total closure ;) (sunroof too if i want to get a bit mental)

Total closure is easy - just power a relay from the window output on the RightClick box and use it to switch the 'lock' circuit for 20 seconds.

If you have a late-interior model (93>) then the sunroof is connected to the total closure wire already. If you have a pre-93 then the sunroof motor doesn't support it, and the later motor won't fit the early roof. You need to swap in a later roof mechanism, motor, switch and wiring if its that important (or fit a Passat moonroof with a mk3 motor and wiring).

Ah ok, I'll look at the fusebox and see which relay is for the windows :)

I'll let you know if i have any problems..

Thanks again :)

I have a Meta car alarm that will close both windows and the sunroof when you hold the remote down for longer when locking. 93 car. It has a signal wire that connects to the CL for this and it was just a setting that had to be activated on the alarm.

Ah ok, I'll look at the fusebox and see which relay is for the windows :)

I'll let you know if i have any problems..

Thanks again :)

I meant an aftermarket relay. The window control module is connected to the central locking on the 'lock' wire, so if you hold power on that (like holding the key in the 'lock' position) then the module will close the windows for you automatically.

If memory serves the Rightclick box has a negative output for the windows, so what you do is connect the positive supply to one side of the relay coil and one side of the contacts. You then connect the Rightclick output to the other side of the coil (so the box exergises the relay) and the 'lock' wire to the other side of the contacts. That way you effectively invert the signal from the Rightclick box and the window control module does the rest for you.

On the 93> cars the sunroof is also connected to the window control module and so that does both systems. The way to tell which motor you have is if you have a separate switch in the overhead trim you have the early one (no auto close). If you have the sunroof switch in the courtesy light you have the later one which will close with the windows.

:cat: