Sign in to follow this  
Batmanan

Help!! Think I've been Had

I have recently bought a Corrado an i'm worried Ive been sold a white elephant.

My first worry is the door handle, it wasn't working when i bought the car but after looking on the forum i thought i just needed the repair kit as the door did open from the inside. So i bought the kit and took the handle off and it doesn't look like the pic's in the guide. The handle doesn't have a lock on it and didn't have a cable either.

Can anyone tell me what hadnle this is and if i can still use it or should i get one of the following from a previous thread;

left lock mech - 357 839 015A

right lock mech - 357 839 016A

left handle - 357 839 205A

right handle - 357 839 206A

I have also booked my car into Stealth Racing to check the car to see if everything else is ok :0(

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfP1342[01]_22-04-10.JPG[/attachment:2ltjp3zc]

P1342_22-04-10.JPG[/attachment:2ltjp3zc]

That's not a Corrado handle. It maybe that the original handle was buggered and they didn't want to spend the cash on a new one.

If you like send me the kit back and I'll fit it to a spare handle I have and post back?

Dave

If it has no lock barrel, it's likely to be a Passat rear door handle. Proper Corrado handles have lock barrels.

I don't think that's enough to make you think the car is a lemon overall. Passat handles were quite a popular 'upgrade' a while ago. Anything else wrong with the car?

Dave - Thanks alot for that buddy thats a massive help, I will post it back today!!

Kev - Everything else seems to be ok although there does seem to be a few creeks when i'm driving that sound suspicious but thats why i booked it in. Is there anything else you think i should check?

I'm new to the VR and just aquired mine a few weeks back. It had a knackered and leaking crack pipe which is a weak point so check that.

They're all much of a muchness body wise, usual things to check are sunroof, spoiler, window rattles etc.

Each engine has it's own things to look out for though. Which model did you get?

Its a 93 VR6 - I hope Ha Ha,

The car seems as much as i can see to be pretty good. Bodywork is perfect no rust, all the electrics work and she purr's like a jungle cat when idling. Just sort of scared of a few things i might have missed.

I must say though she isn't as quick as i thought she would be, I mean i thought the acceleration would have you pushed you in the back of your seat but then i'm not sure it is supposed to do that. I must say though when she is at speed she does shift!

Its a 93 VR6 - I hope Ha Ha,

I must say though she isn't as quick as i thought she would be, I mean i thought the acceleration would have you pushed you in the back of your seat but then i'm not sure it is supposed to do that. I must say though when she is at speed she does shift!

:lol: Very common complaint mate. It has very underwhelming performance as standard, hence why the "Forced Induction VR6 thread" is one of, if not THE most active thread on the forum :D

If you want to keep it normally aspirated, then i recommend the shorter final drive from the G60 and Schimmel 263 or Autotech 262 cams, both offering fantastic value for money in terms of the gains. The shorter final drive is a pricier option as the gearbox has to come out to fit it, but it really does bring the whole car alive.

Other than that, normally aspirated tuning is expensive for little gain, which is why a lot of us have gone down the Super or turbo charger route!

It has very underwhelming performance as standard

Absolute horse sch1tt. No need to say any more. :D

:lol: Very common complaint mate. It has very underwhelming performance as standard....

How do you come to work that out!? The VR6 is pretty damn quick by todays standards even though it's 15 odd years old!

Quote Parkers: "is well equipped with serious power and precision." "The VR6 model is a capable muscle car"

Quote J Clarkson: "a £20k Ferrari" "but the VR6 was about as close as you could get to Ferraridom without buying a Ferrari"

I would sugest if you find it "underwhelming" you have a problem.

I think what Kev is meaning by saying "underwhleming" is that you dont feel the power, ie lazy power and no one can argue with that, everyone knows you never feel the power kicking in, in a standard VR6, hence underwhelming.

compare the power delivery of a VR6 (190bhp as standard) with a modded G60 giving a similar 190bhp...

The G60 will feel like it accelerates faster and delivers more of a punch with the power... however, in reality, the VR6 will accelerate just as quickly, just in a more relaxed manner which makes it feel slower, even though it really isn't....

I think what Kev is meaning by saying "underwhleming" is that you dont feel the power, ie lazy power and no one can argue with that, everyone knows you never feel the power kicking in, in a standard VR6, hence underwhelming.

My old VR use to go like a bat out of hell between 4k and 6k! All the people I gave rides too in the 2½ years of ownership would agree with me. The performance of the VR6 is nothing short of fantastic.

So the flagship VW model, (the fastest VW made up to that point and for several years afterwards), The Corrado VR6, is quoted on a forum for enthusiasts of that very car as having "very underwhelming" performance. Agree with Peppyuk, not one person who's ever got out of my almost standard VR6 engined car has said "how very underwhelming". More like, "will you sell it to me, damn thats quick". My other half had a turboed TT and it took just one drive in my VR for her to sell the TT and buy her own Corrado VR6.

I've had mine for 6 years, 60k miles and have never felt remotely underwhelmed.

I seriously wonder if half the people on this forum are driving round with dodgy cam sensors or big heavy wheels blunting the acceleration.

i must agree i was slightly underwhelmed once getting my vr. it isn't great below 3k rpm, but like someone else said, as soon as you hit 3k and over it really comes alive and is awesome.

I seriously wonder if half the people on this forum are driving round with dodgy cam sensors or big heavy wheels blunting the acceleration.

To be fair i am running wheels that are quite heavy... well the rears anyway. But i do stick by my 3k rpm comment.

i must agree i was slightly underwhelmed once getting my vr. it isn't great below 3k rpm, but like someone else said, as soon as you hit 3k and over it really comes alive and is awesome.

I thought that too a while ago but then DG found out that it was because i owned the country's first ever VR4 :lol:

It's what I call 'lazy' power - completly different to a G60 that feels like a much faster version of a Golf GTI - the VR's are more of a cruiser but is still fast with good power to weight ratio even by todays standards.

Deffo agree with that - the amount of VR's I have VAGCOM'd for new or potential owners and found cam sensors down and / or lambda / ignition faults - I think people buy them and they still seem fast to what they have had previously at 160BHP with batch injection. The other problem is as the cars get older people seem to skimp on servicing and independant garages also get confused between the G40 and G28 fault codes etc.

Every RR day I've been to at Stealth someone turns up with a 160BHP VR, Vince doesn't even have to plug it in to know what's up with it!

But i do stick by my 3k rpm comment.

I expect an F1 car is poor below 3k rpm, but I wouldn't say it had "underwhelming performance"!

But i do stick by my 3k rpm comment.

I expect an F1 car is poor below 3k rpm, but I wouldn't say it had "underwhelming performance"!

I agree, but then 3k on a F1 car is more the equivalent to 500rpm on a normal car..

But the phrase, "underwhelming performance" never passed my lips. I said it felt sluggish under 3k and at 3k it felt alot more lively and as i said im running heavy wide wheels on the rear ;-) really must get rid of them to be honest.

It's what I call 'lazy' power - completly different to a G60 that feels like a much faster version of a Golf GTI - the VR's are more of a cruiser but is still fast with good power to weight ratio even by todays standards.

Deffo agree with that - the amount of VR's I have VAGCOM'd for new or potential owners and found cam sensors down and / or lambda / ignition faults - I think people buy them and they still seem fast to what they have had previously at 160BHP with batch injection. The other problem is as the cars get older people seem to skimp on servicing and independant garages also get confused between the G40 and G28 fault codes etc.

Every RR day I've been to at Stealth someone turns up with a 160BHP VR, Vince doesn't even have to plug it in to know what's up with it!

Don't forget Lambda faults and sticking rear brakes too!