Sign in to follow this  
ryan_16v

MPG

my average speed is nearly always about 42mph :(

just no straight roads around here and i hardly go on motorways, dual carriageways

Mine is up the creek! for some reason option 1 (short journeys) which should reset itself everytime the car is switched off isnt resetting, as such my MPG is showing as being really bad, it also has a habit of randomly jumping to 60+ then rather rapidly falling down to like, 14/15 :(

Get about 22-26mpg in town, and 40 or thereabouts on the motorway...

I blame the city centre tunnels in Leeds for my poor mpg :p

Dunno how some of you VR boys get 40mpg!

I get 24-28 maybe even 30 MAYBE around town.

But on motorway only get about 33. But its not often i do long trips on the motorway.

But on motorway only get about 33. But its not often i do long trips on the motorway.

i wouldn't worry, my MFA2 average is 22.9 :shrug:

The figures seem to differ quite alot from owner to owner.

if i'm lucky, more often around 18 :D

but mines not right though, it shouldnt be as bad as that! it will still get up towards 30 on the motorway if i'm not going too fast..

GAY.

All you 'hommies' need to get a grip. Its not about MPG. If you want MPG, then buy another car.

I can only hope that not many VR owners have read this, shocking - you punks should be ashamed of yourselves. Petrol is not that expensive and if it is...then get a better job so you can afford more of the fucking stuff.

Fin.

Sticky calliper? Poor lambda?

Having followed you in convoy I know why!

GAY.

All you 'hommies' need to get a grip. Its not about MPG. If you want MPG, then buy another car.

I can only hope that not many VR owners have read this, shocking - you punks should be ashamed of yourselves. Petrol is not that expensive and if it is...then get a better job so you can afford more of the **** stuff.

Fin.

:lol: you been on the caffiene Monkey?

Sticky calliper? Poor lambda?

Having followed you in convoy I know why![/quote:3k40oaz6]

Wouldnt a sticky caliper get hot and smell of burning?

The Lambda shows no faults on VAGCOM, any other way of telling other then just trying another?

The Lambda shows no faults on VAGCOM, any other way of telling other then just trying another?

Lambda would show up on vagcom. Calliper does not smell, I had one myself and did wonder about the rather poor mpg, but i blamed that more on the supercharger. I think it would only occasionally bind as well. The only way to tell is get a brake test done. But its not like your mpg is waaaayyy down or anything, it could just be your drving style Gaz! :D

Lambda would show up on vagcom. Calliper does not smell, I had one myself and did wonder about the rather poor mpg, but i blamed that more on the supercharger. I think it would only occasionally bind as well. The only way to tell is get a brake test done. But its not like your mpg is waaaayyy down or anything, it could just be your drving style Gaz! :D[/quote:1vo97qxb]

:lol: that probably what it is, its hard not to give it some beans! :-D though there are times i do try to drive more efficiently but it doesnt seem to work much.

It could well be the calipers binding a tad. When the snow was here i got in the car one morning to drive to work and had this awful smell and the brakes had frozen on, so i dont know if its something related to that?

My MOT is due at end of May which will consist of a brake test.

Had my first +40mpg run in the VR6 at the weekend. 40 min run down some tight country lanes taking it easy in mild traffic, got 41.9mpg

I was so chuffed I almost took a photo!

from a 2.9litre block its very difficult to get high mpg, unless you're constantly coasting downhill. I just did a round trip of about 140 miles and got 31.5 (on the mfa) which was a mixture of motorway (80%) and town driving.

edit: and with the aircon on all the time too :wink:

Mine was being strange today....i was driving to watford (about 35miles from me) with a fully laden car and was getting relatively poor MPG (around 27), it wasn't until i reset the MFA1 where the mpg decided to settle around 46.1...with the highest being 51.6.......

On the way home the car was empty, again after i set off it was slowly rising and when it got to about 30 i reset it and it settled around 47....

I was driving cautiously and economically changing up as soon as i got the chance, no over taking and a large amount of driving was on the M1...

Is this right or is mine broken :(

no, if you reset while moving it will give you the mpg as at that second which, if you're off throttle at 70mph, might be amazing! it will then generally get worse as your driving varies, and only stay similar if your speed/throttle stays almost the same. remember in those circumstances it hasnt had to go through the cold start phase and all the winding out of town to the motorway from where you might live etc.

no, if you reset while moving it will give you the mpg as at that second which, if you're off throttle at 70mph, might be amazing! it will then generally get worse as your driving varies, and only stay similar if your speed/throttle stays almost the same. remember in those circumstances it hasnt had to go through the cold start phase and all the winding out of town to the motorway from where you might live etc.

Oh right fair enough at least it shows it works and it wasn't tricking me with the high mpg, now to wonder why it doesnt auto reset....

Thanks!

how accurate is this?

on the same route to and from work i get completely different readings.

on the way to work which is a short motorway journey and then a roads i can get 40 mpg, but on the way back i get something in the region of 28 mpg? i dont differ in the way i drive on either journey