Kevin Bacon

G 000 450 02 - Sunroof lubricant

Oh great thread, my sunroof feels like its struggling but that seems insane for a tube of grease! How about the stuff you get for tail lifts on the back of vans/trucks??

It's easier to lube the front and rear channels with the panel removed. Removing the old dirty grease first is a good idea too.

gonna be trying this myself soon. Any tips on removing the grease, such as any magic cleaning products which help loosen the old stuff. Or is it gonna have to be good old fashion elbow-grease (that's not a joke by the way :D)

thanks

just about to go get relieved of 20 odd quid for that sunroof lubricant - it better be made from the grease of elbows of workers in VW Wolfsburg for that price! (that still not a joke!)

It's certainly good stuff! Lovingly hand crafted by boffins for us Corrado owners with slow sunroofs :D

I just kept clearing out the channels with a cloth until they were clean, no special chemicals or techniques involved :D

Don't cram as much grease in there as possible, you just want a thin layer, otherwise that £22 grease just gets dragged along and clumps up in a big heap on top of the wind deflector :lol:

Ha ha quality, i gotta confess Kev i was gonna go OTT with it and dump the whole tube in! Thanks for the tips, ill use it sparingly to begin with.

Ha ha quality, i gotta confess Kev i was gonna go OTT with it and dump the whole tube in! Thanks for the tips, ill use it sparingly to begin with.

Yeah go easy with it. I was lucky and got 4 or 5 tubes from a mate who works at a dealer cause it had "gone off", so I've tried the liberal amounts approach and it just gets everywhere. The missus got some on her hair aswell when it blew up there and stuck on the grease soaked mechanism....she wasn't best pleased I can tell you :lol:

anyone guessed what this stuff is, if it's not general purpose grease (from the advice in the Bentley) then Shirley it's just like a high performance white grease or something, it's not like it's as critical as gearbox teeth or high tolerance engine internals to lubricate is it?

It's nothing like white grease. That just dries out and is actually quite a schitt grease anyway imo. Not suitable for sliding mechanisms.

It's more like KY jelly, which as some people may know, is fantastic for relieving friction on sliding parts :lol:

The plastic feet of the cable guides do cause a LOT of friction and I'm amazed the motor actually manages to slide the roof at all, hence why the grease was specially developed!

Can i wack off using this lube without any side effects?

I want to know what w@nking using £24 lube feels like! :norty:

Can i wack off using this lube without any side effects?

I want to know what w@nking using £24 lube feels like! :norty:

Tilt and slide?

If it's the same as the grease which came off my Skoda Moonroof when I dropped it in,

it's Polydimethylsiloxane (silicone oil) based.

Personally I would use Aircraft Silicone Grease, although not as a personal lubricant.

http://www.jetlube.com/jetlube/uploads/ ... conedm.pdf

It's lovely Stuff!

Mine tube also happens to be out of date, so I just hope aviation standards are well in excess of corrado sunroof requirements.