Sign in to follow this  
wallpaper_01

How could I not notice?!

Just putting the Corrado back on the road this week after 6 months off, I took it up to the workshop, take wheels and see this has happened...

broken.jpg[/attachment:rghuatho]

Now it did basically look like this on the car... :shock: was all snapped at the top. Anyway...

Not sure what to do now, should I replace the standard ones or should I go for new springs and lower it a little because a lot of opinion is that Corrado ride is too high anyway?

If anyone could help me out on what to get, it would be appreciated. Don't want to spend too much either if it can be helped!

Thanks,

Dan

hi mate, i just bought some coilovers so am wanting to change my suspension...i currently have good standard shocks (no leaks) with 35mm spax lowering springs...would be looking at £15 to 20 a corner if u were intersted...but the snag is ive got exams these following 2 weeks and wouldnt be able to change em over til the 22nd may....thanks

Ok, im not too clever with suspension but im not doing the work, but when you say " good standard shocks (no leaks) with 35mm spax lowering springs" whats the difference between shock and lowering springs?

oh, the shock absorber is the strut/ damper ....what the spring sits in...the lowering spring is the actual coil spring, it lowers the car by 35 mm....sorry for my crap explanation been revisin all day an ma heads a mess lol

Haha you wernt to know that i dont know anything! I know how you feel mate im in my last year of uni and I finish on the 20th so its mental at the moment! Whats it like 35mm down? is that average for lowering? Well Id have to speak to my step dad cos he is doing the work for me but can i provisionally say yes to those depending on what he thinks?

alryt no probs mate, jus let us kno wen ur ready. its ok 35mm down, looks nice, no real clearance issues...stiffer ride but handles better. dc2 :D

If it makes you feel any better, my old daily (big early 90's Mercedes estate) failed its MOT on BOTH front springs being cracked like that. I got new ones put on and couldn't notice a jot of difference to handling or ride quality! Easily missed unless there is something seriously wrong with suspension I guess!

Shame thought as Jim.

Several years ago with my valver I got pulled by the police at 2 in the morning for suspected drink driving (just avoiding potholes as it was 20 yards from my house) after 30 mins check over my car they spotted a rear spring had snapped and chucked the book at me. I didnt notice at all! and the new springs did not feel any differance so sure it can happen to anyone?

Ha that's weird, I guess most of time its hard to notice, lucky I never tipped over while driving or something!

alryt no probs mate, jus let us kno wen ur ready. its ok 35mm down, looks nice, no real clearance issues...stiffer ride but handles better. dc2

Thanks mate, but after talking to my step dad I think im just going to get brand new standard springs for the front and save up for coilovers eventually like you. Sorry if ive messed about. Thanks for the help though and good luck with your exams!

Ha that's weird, I guess most of time its hard to notice, lucky I never tipped over while driving or something!

alryt no probs mate, jus let us kno wen ur ready. its ok 35mm down, looks nice, no real clearance issues...stiffer ride but handles better. dc2

Thanks mate, but after talking to my step dad I think im just going to get brand new standard springs for the front and save up for coilovers eventually like you. Sorry if ive messed about. Thanks for the help though and good luck with your exams!

Good idea... i was going to just get some lowering springs but saved up a bit and got me some KWs... don't regret it 1 bit! coilovers all the way!

that's unlucky chap - crazy how so many had very similier incident! :pale:

slightly off topic but, with the coilovers, it seems the consenus is that it's best to buy quality rather the cheaply.

A mistake I make back on my first VR.

Still quite surprised just how expensive a medium to top end coilover set is...eg KW V'1 at £600...and yet you can get a set of standard FK AK coilers for just £270?

Now I know alot of people have mentioned it's 'night & day' between cheap and expensive set-ups, but without sounding like Karl from the Ricky Garvais Show, how bad can the cheap set be??

It's hardly like the KW V'1 will feel like a magical 'Hoverboard' from Back to the Future as it goes over your average crappy road - just as much as the FK's won't, contrary to belief, shake the eye-balls out've your sockets!

bit've a rant sorry, just Monday's dragging on a bit... :p

hi mate, i just bought some coilovers so am wanting to change my suspension...i currently have good standard shocks (no leaks) with 35mm spax lowering springs...would be looking at £15 to 20 a corner if u were intersted...but the snag is ive got exams these following 2 weeks and wouldnt be able to change em over til the 22nd may....thanks

I mite be interested in those shocks and springs when they come off your car. Can you take some photos and offer me first dibs once you have them off. Sorry to but-in on this thread. Good luck with the exams. Ian

Yeh actually I was kinda wondering how much difference can there possibly be? Maybe if ur a rally driver or use the car to drive constantly where u would want really comfortable ride maybe.

Mine has H&R springs and koni adjustable dampers, lowerd slightly, ride is nice and solid and compared to original suspension corrados i test drove much much beter handeling, my c still manages to suprise me when i put it in to a corner a bit quick at just how well it holds. ill get the part numbers if u want.

good luck.