16vStyle

Simon's Corrado 1.8T

Superb dedication indeed mate, really impressive stuff :notworthy:

hats off to you sir :notworthy: ......engine bay looks great in satin black : 1 vote for keeping it that way !!

hats off to you sir :notworthy: ......engine bay looks great in satin black : 1 vote for keeping it that way !!

Thanks guys, Yes I think they bay will stay that way for a while.. I have considered doing the whole car in satin black but still undecided.. :confused4:

This is turning into the longest restoration ever! Unfortunately I've not been able to make any progress on the car for the last 18 months, not through lack of wanting to but putting 'life' first. It's once again been in storage where I've been unable to work on it.

Thankfully now my parents have moved back into the country and I've convinced them that they need it at their house.. Finally I have somewhere I can work on it again!

It's been SORN now for 5 years so I intend on make some real progress over the next few months and get it up and running in 2013.

I spent last weekend getting back up to speed with things, getting the engine started again was interesting. I should of made more notes on some of the wiring as I'd completely forgotten where I got with it but got there in the end. The biggest most confusing problem was not being able to start it after 3 hours of poking around with Fuel/ Air/ Spark etc I realised that It wasn't firing because the petrol had gone stale! I emptied the tank, put a gallon of fresh fuel in and it started on the key :)

Well this is the current state of play:

current.jpg

Going to be working on it now over the weekend so will try and get some more pics up

Cheers

wow that last pic looks a nightmare, i'm rubbish with the electric side of things.

But engine in and running there must be light at the end of the tunnel and be well worth it. I presume you must work in a garage or something to have all the skills to take this on? Looking good.

Great work / project! :notworthy:

I'll pop back in about 2 years to see how you're getting on :lol:

:salute:

wow that last pic looks a nightmare, i'm rubbish with the electric side of things.

But engine in and running there must be light at the end of the tunnel and be well worth it. I presume you must work in a garage or something to have all the skills to take this on? Looking good.

Yes there is light at the end of the tunnel! There's no way I can give up on this now.. not that I ever thought I would! No I don't work in a garage, I design websites for a living :)

---------- Post added at 9:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:11 PM ----------

Loving the multimeter at the bottom of the pic. Nice touch in the midst of all that :D

Haha, yes the multimeter has been pretty useful recently!

---------- Post added at 9:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:14 PM ----------

A quick update from the weekends work.. I managed to get a good few hours spent on the car so it fells like I'm making some progress now :)

Have reconditioned the rear beam and fitted new OE bushes, have also made a start doing some new copper brake lines.

2012-11-24%2013.14.59.jpg

2012-11-24%2013.15.17.jpg

Also carried on with the endless task of sorting the wiring out.

Mounted the battery in the boot on the Mk4 battery tray in the wheel well recess.. Fits well and there's still space for the spare wheel.

2012-11-24%2013.16.42.jpg

Got the wiring to the stage now that it's ready to be wrapped.. But I won't do that until I know everything's all OK.

This pic was taken half way through.

2012-11-24%2021.32.12.jpg

And just a side view of the C as it currently sits.

2012-11-24%2016.40.44.jpg

Hoping to get the rear beam refitted tomorrow so will update when I can :)

Cheers

Simon

Great build - I dread to think what this has cost to date though... but really - who cares eh. We do this stuff because we love to and that car's definitely getting a whole lotta love right there!

I have just read this from page one what a brilliant job you have done, just wondering what filler you used on the bay as i am hafl way through mine and dont want to have filler crack, also have you got any more progress on this?

Alan

Great build - I dread to think what this has cost to date though... but really - who cares eh. We do this stuff because we love to and that car's definitely getting a whole lotta love right there!

Thanks, I've actually been very lucky on the parts front as I used to work at Euro Car Parts and have built a number of other Car Parts Websites off the back of that. So I've always had favourable pricing and have also come across some rare dusty parts too.. Hunting out Old-Stock OE parts has become much of a speciality! :)

I've had the car now for little over 11 years, the last 5 of which it's been off the road, It is most definitely a labour of love!

---------- Post added at 2:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:58 PM ----------

I have just read this from page one what a brilliant job you have done, just wondering what filler you used on the bay as i am hafl way through mine and dont want to have filler crack, also have you got any more progress on this?

Alan

Thanks Alan, I've just used P45 body filler on parts of the bay.. There's no depth to the filler anywhere so should be all good on the cracking front.

Simon

---------- Post added at 2:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 2:00 PM ----------

It's been a little while since I last updated this so thought that I'd bring it up to date.

Having reconditioned the Rear Beam with new bushes and Paint, I've now re-assembled the rear axle. Used Mk4 golf Calipers with new Discs, Bearings, Pads, Disc guards and Goodridge hoses.

rear1.jpg

rear2.jpg

rear3.jpg

I've also re-assembled the front so at least now I have a rolling shell again!

front-1.JPG

front2.JPG

I've also now removed the engine again so that I can give it another coat of paint before I bolt up the servo and do the brake lines etc.

Troube is now I'm in two minds about having the Satin engine bay.. I'm thinking I should do it properly and spray it the same colour as the car or at least Gloss Black.

This Pic is of the Satin bay

bay-satin.JPG

And this one of the Satin bay when it was still wet.. Gives me an idea of what it would look like Gloss Black.

bay-gloss.JPG

What's anyone's view on this?

I've got a quote from a mobile sprayer to do it in 2 Pack the same colour as the car for £140 which I'm thinking is quite reasonable?

Cheers

Simon

Looks really clean in gloss black, I have now finished mine in matt black as I'm hoping it won't show up any bits I may have missed aha, was meant to ask you what radiator are you using as I have removed the tank and want a top fill radiator similar to what you have done?

Cheers Alan

I've used the VR rad, so it's not top fill. Am going to bed the car in with an expansion tank before using an in-line filler myself.

Simon

WOW!!!! What athread and this is what i am looking at doing myself. The wiring is what scares me if I am honest. really impressed with your work and cannot wait to see the finished result.

your philosophy is a superb one - modern car in a corrado shell. But try explaining that to the uninitiated! You're doing extremely well with such a large project and best of luck in completing it. Like others i too find this thread hugely interesting.

Thanks, for all the positive feedback guys, I'll certainly be out and about in it once its road legal.. However will be very much a work in progress for a while to come!

Went along to Pirtek yesterday to sort out the high pressured power steering hose as it I needed a Banjo fitting for the MK4 Pump. Really impressed with the service, they utilised the existing solid section and fitted a new 250bar hose with a banjo. Apparently they’re starting to branch into automotive hydraulics too so I think I’ll get the clutch hose made up there when I’m ready.

hose.jpg

Also, just had the engine bay professionally painted this morning in by http://www.acefinishcarrepairs.com would certainly recommend them for anyone in the Cambridge area!

Pics to follow..

Cheers

Simon

I've now got a target locked in! I'm going to aim for the Prept meet at Brands Hatch on 15th June. Gives me about 10 weeks to get back to Cambridge and get it road legal!

Any of you guy considering going?

prept.JPG

Made some good progress over the weekend. Had the engine bay painted on Saturday so concentrated on other areas of the car.

gloss-bay.JPG

bay-side.JPG

Wired up the front and rear ABS with new sensors, then new handbrake cables and continued with the wiring.

Then mounted the Heater box and installed the dash wiring around it.

dash-1.JPG

dash-2.JPG

The dash is all wired up now bar a few switches.. Will stay like this now until it's though the MOT and I've driven it a bit and tested everything. Once I'm happy I'll take the dash out again and wrap the loom properly.

Next on the list is to plumb the brake brake lines into the ABS pump and mount the servo.

Then the engine can go back in :)

Simon

Edited by 16vStyle

Awesome, love it! lots of inspiration there... well done!

edit:

I think the dash really suits it too... I always think that the Corrado is one of those cars that despite it now being 20 odd years old it still cuts it with modern cars and doesn't look particularly dated. The MK4 dash really feeds in to that modern feel, I think this would look great with a really 'executive' themed interior, really smart looking, possibly black leathers with the odd bit of chrome detailing.

Edited by afterlife

Awesome, love it! lots of inspiration there... well done!

edit:

I think the dash really suits it too... I always think that the Corrado is one of those cars that despite it now being 20 odd years old it still cuts it with modern cars and doesn't look particularly dated. The MK4 dash really feeds in to that modern feel, I think this would look great with a really 'executive' themed interior, really smart looking, possibly black leathers with the odd bit of chrome detailing.

---------- Post added at 9:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:29 PM ----------

Thanks, Yes, that's the idea.. not put a great deal of though into the detail yet but I'm thinking maybe black with an ivory type colour to complement.

---------- Post added at 9:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:38 PM ----------

loving this thread!!! What are you going to do about door cards out of interest with the golf dash in there?

Thanks man :) the door cards will need cutting, but as opposed to tapering the cards I'm thinking maybe fabricating it in metal and welding it in then running the door card up to that point.. Kinda like the Lupo door cards..

lupo-card.JPG

Not decided yet though.. Will think about it a bit more when I reach that stage!

Cheers

Simon