Sign in to follow this  
Mawrick

should the AUX water pump run when ignition is on ?

Anyone know if the aux-water pump is supposed to be "buzzing" when only the ignition is on?.

If not, any idea what might cause it to buzz away?.

I did a search for this last night randomly and i'm sure someone said it does when the ign is just turned on, car not started. I could be wrong! Do a quick searck for aux water pump and it should say in there,

AJ

good to hear, got a bit worried for a sec - then I guess everything is fine after the rebuild....:)

yeah, i replaced mine, and since have noticed it coming on straight away with ignition, never noticed it before, but can't see how its possible to fit it incorrectly

Mine also runs with just the ignition on. A small benifit is warm air still comes through the vents when the engine is switched off.

I don't think mine runs on ignition, I guess it's buggered? Will this cause me a big problem?

I don't think mine runs on ignition, I guess it's buggered? Will this cause me a big problem?

The Bentley manual seems to imply that both the aux pump and fans are triggered by the yellow temp sender. 100-107 deg switch on, 100-94 deg turn off. So yours could actually be normal, LOL!

Mine's also always been on permanently with the ignition, but I've also seen several Golf and Corrado VR6s that don't do that and only come on with the yellow temp signal.

My aux water pump on my original never comes on with the ignition, yet when I bought the Corrado VRT and went on it first trip to Harrogate for the night I went out for a ciggie and I could hear a wurling noise. Thought it would be something like that and left it only to find it was permantely live causing a flat battery the next day :censored: :mad2: . I quickly got it sorted and I believe it is now like the original. :clap:

/\ this might explain the redesigned "Yellow temp sender", which I believe is now green or something? Potentially several dodgy yellow senders out there :D

/\ Aux pump I assume you mean? Yes, they do leak when kaput, and they can also get very noisy.

The senders rarely leak as they have pretty good O ring seals.

No worries. If you can be bothered to change the plug on the Aux pump loom, I've found the MK5 R32 or late 1.8T pump (from 06 on Polo GTIs) seems to be better quality than the old 12V one. It's the same shape, size and flow, but just has a different plug on it. The plug is available from the dealer too for a couple of quid :D

yeh i paid £115 ish, i took my old one apart and found the spindle had disintegrated, it was so bad i could hear it humming through the heater matrix with the engine on :D

as kev notes the 'yellow' temp sender is now 'black'.

one thing i've never got to the bottom of is whether the pump is supposed to continue for a period after ignition off, mine doesn't, would prefer if it did to circulate water round the head, it does on mk3's i'm told...

As I understand it, the aux pump is to keep coolant circulating when engine is "very hot". Continued circulation of coolant prevents "hot spots" from forming, and consequent risk of the head warping.

what I have noticed though is that the temp gauge rises up when I turn the ignition - anyone know where this get's it's signal from ?. And if that might be the cause of the pump running.

Certainly worth a look, do you know what the prices are like compared to a VR6 unit?

Last time I got from the stealer, last year I think, an R32 one was ~ £70.

Anyone have any idea what might cause the temp gauge to go up straight away when I turn ignition - and is it related to the problem with the AUX pump running.?

Temp gauge signal comes from pins 2 & 3 of the yellow sender.

In the first instance, I'd check / replace that and failing that, it could be a short in the wiring or the guage itself. Many of the gauges inside the cluster are replacable.