Sign in to follow this  
Mawrick

should the AUX water pump run when ignition is on ?

We decided that according to the Bentley manual, it comes on via pins 1 & 4 of the yellow sender at 100 deg C. if it's coming on when the engine is cold with the ignition, it could be a faulty yellow sender, which doesn't get noticed because the other half of it still functions fine (dash guage).

what might cause the dash gauge to rise up - if the sensor is ok?.

I know I earlier fixed the gauge for the fuel - but can't remember if the temp gauge was also faulty at the time.....

is this yellow sender cheapish? shall i get one from VW dealers?

may as well try that, as mine comes on now after replacing the pump

Thanks Kev, I'll perform the test :D

Right I've checked out the cooling system this morning as per the cooling guide tests, fans are working at all three stages but the aux water pump wasn't working with the fans running either with the ignition on or not. I expected to feel the pump vibrating slightly when I touched it but there was nothing.

I've got no leaks from the pump.

Anything else I can check?

Mine runs on my car when the ignition is on, and when the cooling fan after run is triggered, has done on my previous Corrado VR and my Golf VR6 Highline,

Make of that what you will :D

Mine runs on my car when the ignition is on, and when the cooling fan after run is triggered, has done on my previous Corrado VR and my Golf VR6 Highline,

Yup.

That's the way late cars work.

If the Aux pump isn't working it could be the fuse or a faulty fan control unit. Check the fuse and check the voltage at the plug. There are some diodes in the fan control unit that seem to switch the pump on. They can become unsoldered from the PCB. If you take the unit off and it rattles, it's probably them.

Yup.

If the Aux pump isn't working it could be the fuse or a faulty fan control unit. Check the fuse and check the voltage at the plug. There are some diodes in the fan control unit that seem to switch the pump on. They can become unsoldered from the PCB. If you take the unit off and it rattles, it's probably them.

So if I understand correct the late VR6's are supposed to have this pump running imidiately when the ignition is turned on ?

Yup.

So if I understand correct the late VR6's are supposed to have this pump running imidiately when the ignition is turned on ?

All three of my Vr6's have done this, 97 Golf, 95 rado, 93 Rado..

Yup.

The fuse on the board or on the top of the fan control unit? The fuses on the control unit are ok.

I couldn't see where the plug connects on the pump?

I've found the connector to the aux pump and with the yellow sender pin 1 and 4 bridged, stage 1 fan is on and I'm getting 12v to the pump.

Yellow sender connected back up, ignition on and I'm again getting 12v to the pump again so in my case yes the aux pump should run with ignition on.

Sadly for me it seems my aux pump is buggered as there is 12v getting to it for sure and it's doing absolutely nowt.

They often pack up.

I've had several second hand ones and they all fail soon enough, so next time I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy a new one.

They often pack up.

I've had several second hand ones and they all fail soon enough, so next time I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy a new one.

Yeah I have considered a used one, I'll price one up and also price an R32 as quoted earlier in this thread.

Cheers Tom.

I think my aux pump only comes on when engine is hot. No?

e.g. if you turn ignition after stopping on a run you can hear it.

Not 100% certain of that at the moment, though.

June 1995 VR6.

i found out lastnight that, i can have car sat there, no keys in ignition, if i press the headlight switch on, i get quite a loud click from under bonnet and the water pump starts up?

is this normal?

i found out lastnight that, i can have car sat there, no keys in ignition, if i press the headlight switch on, i get quite a loud click from under bonnet and the water pump starts up?

is this normal?

In short....

NO!!.

youve got a wiring fault of some description going on there!!, it is a Corrado after all!! :lol:

i wondered if turning lights on turned some sort of ignition circuit on? as my pump comes on as soon as i turn ignition on too