Sign in to follow this  
C5 OEM

bonnet sound proofing

Dynamat is much better stuff but I'm struggling a bit with why on earth you'd want to dampen the sound of a VR6. Frankly half of mine has crumbled away and I can't say I've noticed much of a difference in the noise levels anyway.

But if you're going for originality then it's still available from VW. But not cheap. Something in the region of £100...

cool i`ll have a word as there giving me good discount at the moment, just got the original mats for £47.. :D

I know that the OP has a VR6 Storm - so he'll be ok :) I'd have asked if I wasn't sure :D

it's around the £100 area as Jim says too! bought some for mine a while ago and Jude bought some recently to put into stock :lol:

£93 plus vat but can get it off them for £90 with discount..

shall be ordering it tomorrow...

Jesus...Its a lot of money for some sound proofing. It would be nice to get some for mine but wont be high on the priority list :)

it's around the £100 area as Jim says too! bought some for mine a while ago and Jude bought some recently to put into stock :lol:

ha its like your stocking all the parts up before theyre all gone forever!! good plan, thing is to buy/ keep and store and sell for a premium when its obsolete. sad thought all the parts being dropped day by day :(

It is expensive but worth doing long term, i`m just trying to make the car as mint as possible and future proof it..

From TPS -

Current retail price - £103.58 inc VAT

Trade discounted price - £96.17 inc vat

5 sets currently in the country

Nope. Late only shape is part number 535 898 123A.

Bought mine in July 2009. Was £84.37 + VAT so they ain't playing silly games with prices. So TPS is good.

Whoever makes this waffle foam should be fairly easy to find, it's not like this was a special material run just for Corrados and most of the cost goes into the cutting to shape.

Anyone had any luck locating any foam suppliers? I have tried on numerous occassions but never got anywhere.

never given this much thought, but sound deadening foam is used all the time in architectural applications to dull down 'lively' acoustic spaces, i'd be looking at those types of suppliers before vehicle ones - it is expensive though, not sure there'd be much saving in it.

you'd still have to cut to shape, but not a hard material to handle, you could use hvac aluminium tape for the edges.

First of all it nearly half price (£66 vs £103).

To cut the shape all you need is scissors or a sharp knife :)

The rest of it you might stick to arches to make car more comfortable and get less road noise inside. you don't have to cut the shapes as showed on the below link just trimm the corners.

All you have to do is clean surface stick sound deadening and cut the shape of the bonnet not cut it into pieces.

http://kereta.info/wp-content/uploads/2 ... oofing.jpg

http://dynamat.com/products_automotive_hoodliner.html

Don't use any foam used for architectural applications as it's not water, heat, benzin, oil, and the most important FIRE proof.

If it will absorb water or any oil related liquids than it may set the car on fire.

Car sound proofing materials are heat resistant.

I work with it some time ago and saw what creative people may do...

sometimes hardly saved their lifes.

Mmm do you really think all materials used in building applications would be flammable!

Some of this stuff gets placed around gas and oil boilers for instance, and can be foiled backed to avoid contamination and degradation.