Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Awful noise from rear calipers when braking when reversing..

Hiya..

Not sure if anyone else has had this or if they know why it happens. On my VR, if I reverse then apply the brakes I get the most appalling metallic binding noise.. it's so loud people literally 20-30 yards away stop and look. And inside the car it's exceptionally loud.

I'm already aware that I probably need new calipers to resolve this! But does anyone know what causes it?

Cheers.

Juts a thought, but it couldnt be that the brake material has come away from the backing plate, so when you going backwards its tugging on the loose brake.

Like i said just a thought as this has happened to me before!!

Sean

yeah i have this also, and its been like that since i bought the car about 6 years back. Interesting that its only in reverse, so i'd be interested in anyones solution to this???

You're right its REALLY loud, and gives Da Boss the excue to say - 'crap car, get rid of it and get a new one will you'. Er, no thanks..

Juts a thought, but it couldnt be that the brake material has come away from the backing plate, so when you going backwards its tugging on the loose brake.

Like i said just a thought as this has happened to me before!!

Sean

Hmm.. interesting. Think the rear calipers will have to come off for an inspection then. I must admit I haven't even looked at them yet.

Strangely it's sometimes ok - like first thing in the morning I can get away with reversing off the drive and it's quiet. But if I've driven anywhere and then attempt to park up, the noise is staggeringly loud. Brakes are totally quiet going forwards and braking though!

That's just a seized handbrake mech on MK2/3 Calipers - new ones are the only real fix for this tbh

agree with that

if the mech were seized though i assume that the handbrake would then either operate or not? Mine (seems to) work(s) fine, holds the car on a slope comfortably too. Unless i'm missing the point?

if the mech were seized though i assume that the handbrake would then either operate or not? Mine (seems to) work(s) fine, holds the car on a slope comfortably too. Unless i'm missing the point?

they get sticky and dont return properly when released, mega common problem as the design isn't all that cracking

Jim - I have the same problem. It's never bothered me that much. I now try and reverse extra slow so they don't grind. As long as they work properly going forward is there any reason to be concerned?

Yeah but you have to ask yourself whats damage could be going on. The noises like described dont sound like light rubbing.

Get the caliper of and inspect the pads and handbrake mech for any signs of rubbing / damage first.

It's the same old problem that plaugued MK2 Golfs - those calipers tend to only last around 5 - 8 years when driven in all weather conditions... it's really a consumable part and this is why VW offer them on the exchange program.

OK. Is it not possible to strip it down and isolate/repair the problem? I have a spare set of rear calipers (not sure from which car) that i could take apart to analyse?

As the discs and pads spend 95% of their time going forwards, the pads wear with a slight taper due to the clearances on the slider pins, etc. When they get seizy and the calipers don't back off properly, you reverse and the pad chatters across the surface of the disc, which reverbs through the whole brake/hub/axle/car assembly causing the awful noise.

Lubricating the sliders/handbrake mech may help for a while.

As the discs and pads spend 95% of their time going forwards, the pads wear with a slight taper due to the clearances on the slider pins, etc. When they get seizy and the calipers don't back off properly, you reverse and the pad chatters across the surface of the disc, which reverbs through the whole brake/hub/axle/car assembly causing the awful noise.

Lubricating the sliders/handbrake mech may help for a while.

Jim look at this above first, I know 2cc's VR does/did the same thing when reversing although not as loud as you suggest.

Yep, that is exactly the reason.

Look under any late Skoda or MK4 on platform using the 'mk4 calipers', and you will see a big, heavy rubber counter weight hanging off the caliper, which was VW's attempt to suppress the noise, but it didn't work that great :D

Live with it basically. Or brake hard in reverse more often :D

Heh.. I'll spend some time driving around the car park at work this evening in reverse with the occasional heavy braking. See if it shuts it up a bit ;)

... you will see a big, heavy rubber counter weight hanging off the caliper, which was VW's attempt to suppress the noise, but it didn't work that great :D

ah, seen those on a ford focus (which uses the same calipers) and wondered what they were all about.

Yeh mine used to do it terribly when reversing, but mainly when reversing out of the 'parking area' for the 1st time in the morning, and more so when it had been wet. Ive had mk4 rear's put on since and new cables, hasn't done it yet

Jim, mine had this problem as well it was terrible and at times bloody embarrassing but when we put on the Green Stuff brake pads it stopped. Now this isnt an ad for them but they came with what i think are called 'shims' which are metallic clips which go on the outside of the pad and then the pad is inserted into the caliper. The noise stopped immediately, and trust me we had tried everything, smoothing the pads etc etc. I know someone else who did this and to prove the point he took off these 'shims' and back came the grinding noise.......just a thought!

I discussed this issue a few years back with a mechanic, he said it was the contour of the pads against the discs as they are usually braking in a forward motion and a new set of pads will do the trick untill they get really worn. He said the same applies to the discs. Rams