Sign in to follow this  
stormseeker

Finally fitted my uprated headlight loom

Wow :shock: driving in to work this morning I could actually see!

Finally got round to fitting my home-made loom and mounted the relays on a bracket on the side of the fan control module/fuseblock....

I'd bought a couple of OE headlamp connectors from VWNW auto-jumble last year so it plugs up nice and leaves the original connectors untouched... 8) 8)

Haven't gone the whole hog with the Osram bulbs, still using some Halfords "30% brighter" Xenon jobbies, but the difference the loom made was astounding! Best mod I've done so far...(apart from the 30bhp I gained by fitting the "corrado-forum.net" sticker...) :D :) :D

Well done! I'll have to get round to making one soon, my headlights are terrible. Coupled with my bad nightvision too measn I hate driving at night.

is that the ring spot light kit? looks exactly the same connectors as mine.... although im sure there are hundreds that look the same :roll:

i havent done my main beam yet but the difference in the dipped alone is amazing!

will do the main and maybe even the fogs when the weather gets nicer.

Yeah the looms are amazing. Who ever calculates the guage of wiring for VW headlights should be fired..... it's 3rd grade physics!.....more resistance, i.e narrow guage cable = less current = dim bulbs!

is that the ring spot light kit? looks exactly the same connectors as mine.... although im sure there are hundreds that look the same :roll:

i havent done my main beam yet but the difference in the dipped alone is amazing!

will do the main and maybe even the fogs when the weather gets nicer.

Yeah the relays are the "Ring" ones, as are some of the connectors - for the main beam ( 4 x 60W ==> approx 20A :shock: ) the wire supplied in the ring kit isn't up to the job, hence my bespoke effort...

im going to be redoing mine soon,because ive bought some 130w bulbs..and yes i know they are illegal :)

Snap! 90/130 Bosch bulbs... 2 for £20! 8) Should make things a bit brighter when the car hits the road again with one of Gav's loom! :wink: :lol:

the wire supplied in the ring kit isn't up to the job, hence my bespoke effort...

what was wrong with the wire? seems brighter than standard to me so im happy

the wire supplied in the ring kit isn't up to the job, hence my bespoke effort...

what was wrong with the wire? seems brighter than standard to me so im happy

Sorry, should have clarified that a bit...

It's fine for the 120W/10A dipped beam but ... isn't up to the job for main beam - i.e. 240W/20A - compare some proper 20A cable with the yellow wire in the ring kit....

im just running standard power bulbs so i guess it makes no difference to me??

You said you'd done your dipped beam - so for 2 x 60W dipped beam powered off one relay = 120W which draws approx. 10A. BUT for main beam on a Corrado you have the 2 extra 60W bulbs too = total of approx. 20A --- I am making this clearer or just confusing things :? :? :?

A sweet upgrade.... i did this to mine not long after i bought the car so this was my first mod :D

I could not have been happer with the upgrade and seen a diffrence from the lights straight away..... im using the standard bulbs so im sure things will become clearer with better bulbs :)

..... im using the standard bulbs so im sure things will become clearer with better bulbs :)

just to illustrate what a difference this mod makes:- before I would sometimes have to switch on the front fogs to feel like I could actually see where I was going. Now, after fitting the uprated loom, when the dipped beam's on if I switch on the fogs I can hardly notice the extra light as the std. beam is so bright :-) 8) 8)

i did mine yesterday, had done them before but didnt use strong enough cable so didnt notice a big difference,

even with 100w bulbs. now its miles better, i couldnt get 20A cable so used 27A .will this be ok?

stormseeker, did you do your main beam? if so could you clarify what to cut?

at the moment my dip is tons brighter than my main... even with fogs on!!

i couldnt get 20A cable so used 27A .will this be ok?

stormseeker, did you do your main beam? if so could you clarify what to cut?

27A is no problem. Always better to err on the thick side, than the thin. Except with women? :cry:

I don't think there should be any need to cut anything. My looms are just a plug in deal. The only tools required are a 10mm spanner and some snips.

Gavin

im going to make a loom for the main beam myself though.(on a budget of zero!!)

which wire(s) do i cut into at the bulb end

White or White/black. You need to sort the earth too, straight back to the battery That is Brown. DO NOT FOGET TO FUSE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All too easy to set your pride and joy on fire. :roll:

Don't believe me, ask Swissair!

Gavin

It scares me that MYTravel insist on using DC10s still. One just came back from Montego Bay. Should have been in at 06.25, it landed at 10.20 which was an hour earlier than estimated. :shock:

My mate wants to win the lottery so he can buy them out and shut them down. He is thinking of all the suffering he will prevent in the future. :lol:

Gavin

My mate wants to win the lottery so he can buy them out and shut them down. He is thinking of all the suffering he will prevent in the future. :lol:

rofl, sound like me and Man Ure, I don't think a lottery win would help me though :(