Sign in to follow this  
dan

Best £ for £ modification to do on a Corrado

That looks great, it's amazing how many times the sun ends up between the visors :sunny:

So do these come of a 96 Passat? If I call to a scrap yard do I need any tools to take it off?

I've done tons of mods, but the best £4£ modification was breaking the little tab in the rear lights and inserting a bulb into the "non working" foglight holder so that you have two rear foglights instead of one.

Cost : * Free *

I've done tons of mods, but the best £4£ modification was breaking the little tab in the rear lights and inserting a bulb into the "non working" foglight holder so that you have two rear foglights instead of one.

:clap:

.....thats not free you have to buy the bulb :D ......best free mod is cutting off rubber roof strips, most corrados at this age are perished and look terrible but taking them off cleans up the roof line again :clap:

Ok, here's another free one.

Instead of buying an expensive induction kit, remove the complete airbox, grab a drill with a 2.5mm bit, and "swiss cheese" the LOWER half of the airbox around three sides. On my last Corrado I did this running a strip approx 4 holes vertically (around 2cm high) with holes spaced about every 5mm. Reassemble and refit.

You'll have all the noise and giggles of an induction kit, for free (except for the pedants out there, the cost of the electricity used by your drill). Of course an induction kit provides improved flow and a few bhp, but we are talking free here and my BMC Carbon is still something like £175 new.

Another nice aspect is that if you need to reverse the noise you can just run some electrical tape around the holes and voila - you're back to standard.

That looks great, it's amazing how many times the sun ends up between the visors :sunny:

So do these come of a 96 Passat? If I call to a scrap yard do I need any tools to take it off?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Passat-96-00-1-8t-20V-Centre-Middle-Sunvisor-/320550572819?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4aa24d9313

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Passat-96-00-1-8t-20V-Centre-Middle-Sunvisor-/320550572819?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4aa24d9313

Just saved me the bother of a run to the scrapyard :D Thank You :thumb right:

there have been numerous cheap/free things i've changed on the car, however coilovers have by far been the best purchase i've made.

Boring answer would be a full service, engine feels much happier and got an extra 4mpg whilst driving.

Coilovers were a very good buy also, performance wise some second hand cams and a remap (done by me) should hopefully should good gains for less than £400 all in.

If you're looking for performance, i'd say coilovers. Not that they'll make your car much if any faster, it will feel it and look more sporty.

If not, headlight loom + service + full inside and out clean + new bushes (if they're worn) + full alignment. For the price of reasonable coilovers...

nope, it's a pre 96 model passat,

I'll dig out the number later but it'll be a 357 one (88-95 passat)

I've only seen them on cars from about 1993-1995 so I don't think early passats had them.

All you need to do is remove the centre light module (prise it out)

then remove the two screws holding the sunroof motor cover in place, the sunvisior just clips onto the front of the surround.

nope, it's a pre 96 model passat,

I'll dig out the number later but it'll be a 357 one (88-95 passat)

I've only seen them on cars from about 1993-1995 so I don't think early passats had them.

All you need to do is remove the centre light module (prise it out)

then remove the two screws holding the sunroof motor cover in place, the sunvisior just clips onto the front of the surround.

I saw the post about this the other day and was down at my local scrappy, found a 98 Passat. Ok might not be the right year for a Corrado production but the centre visor looked in good condition. I've got a few pics on my build thread showing it. Nice little addition.

If you're looking for performance, i'd say coilovers. Not that they'll make your car much if any faster, it will feel it and look more sporty.

If not, headlight loom + service + full inside and out clean + new bushes (if they're worn) + full alignment. For the price of reasonable coilovers...

You know I actually agree with you & BristolBaron on this point. Overall coilovers are probably the best single modification I've done on Corrados, even better than an induction kit or big brakes - that's how good coilys are. Good coilovers just transform the Corrado handling onto another level in my view, and in particular dial out lack of rear grip

However the post subject was asking for the best pound-for-pound alteration, and with Koni coilovers at £700 a set, there are (frankly) better mods available for tiny money

yeah, I have coilovers and think that they were one of the best things I've done to the car but this thread is about the little things that don't cost very much (if anything). it's just about the things that everyone can do without money coming into the equation. Most things are taken for granted by people who visit this forum fairly regularly but for new comers they might be a revelation. Things like trimming the roof lining or deleting the rear wiper, these are things that we take for granted should be done to your (at least) 15yr old car. another thing to add,is using rubber & vinyl care (with a sponge) to the black trimmings takes years of the Corrado

Cheap modification - bag of red or blue (or indeed any colour you want) 3mm LED's from ebay with 12v resistors for changing the colour of the all the interal switchgear from the standard green. Cost - few quid, but a fair bit of time.

One mod I did, years ago, that cost 'nothing' :-

Cut the wire that auto-closes the sunroof when locking/closing windows. As I recall, it's a yellow wire that can easily be found in the sunrrof switch / interior lights switch area in the drop down switch panal.

This allows ventilation into the car when it's left parked, essential in these hot times.

Agree with most of you, TT wipers and uprated loom make a world of difference.

And for G60s you'de have to be mad not to chip and pulley it

I'll put a vote in for the rear wiper removal for looks. Tidies up the back nicely, but there are loads of mods here I haven't yet done as well.

even though a turbo costs a lot you cant get bored of the power/sound/look on peoples faces etc. you wont find any VRT owners regretting spending the dollar thats for sure, so for me its the best £ to £ mod for a corrado, goes as good as it looks :D

Cheap modification - bag of red or blue (or indeed any colour you want) 3mm LED's from ebay with 12v resistors for changing the colour of the all the interal switchgear from the standard green. Cost - few quid, but a fair bit of time.

any pics?

I'm probably going to do this someday but unsure yet as to what colour to get

Are these the right ones?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-RED-LEDs-5000- ... 3893wt_912