kerrly

My Nugget - USA G60 - more new bits

HELLO

ive been a lurker around here for quite a while and now ive finally got my hands on the car that i have wanted since i was 8 years old.

Bit of history, my uncle bought the car brand new from VW in Pitsburgh USA and imported it into the UK in 1989 - around the time the first Corrados arrived in the UK. He choose nugget yellow at the time as it was the car used in all the USA advertising campaigns. I even have copies off the original 'Motor trend" magazine and autocar that featured the corrado, the USA brochure, the USA sales guides and a pre release pack that was given to people who put deposits down on corrados.

I have had several mk2 golfs and my current one is a GTI 16v in a one off mix of Royal blue and purple that i spent 2 years rebuilding from nearly a bare shell.

mk2owners3.jpg

And my new toy,

Just the one pic so far as i want to give it a really good clean.

RADO1.jpg

As im sure a lot of you know the spec is quite different to UK cars :)

Edited by kerrly

niiice, thats something special to have over here! where abouts you from?

*edit* how much of a robber does that make me sound???

Hello,

well im led to believe that it is unique as the only yellow US spec in the UK, but not the only US spec as 3 were brought over.

I recall reading on here that there were apparently 16 Nugget yellow corrados in the uk as the colour was only available from 89-91 but im sure i have seen several different ones at various shows and out on the road. There must be 5 or 6 on here alone. Its strange as Nugget was a popular colour in America as yellow was used on the original promotional material and TV adverts over there so perhaps that has something to do with it, plus a lot of states are hotter/sunny compared to the UK.

Plans are to keep it largely original, things i want to do are

- swap wheels - but keep the seebrings to get refrubed

- upgraded headlight loom

- short shift on the gearbox

- get a new rear number plate holder as i have the original Pennsylvania number plate that i would like to put on whilst at Shows.

- fit the VDO guages to the centre consol as i really want a oil pressure guage

- Fit a 10 or 13 row themostatically controlled oil cooler

- Possibly look into FMIC - has anyone tried a Saab one?????

- maybe remove the rear wiper

- new VW badges front and rear + repaint the G60 badges.

- fit a new stereo - I need to get hold of a USA spec > ISO adapter as my stereo is different to the UK ones as i have a 7 speaker set up.

- De-Cat it and remove 1 silencer from before the back box.

- Maybe get a panel filter or at least remove the snorkel in the box to make it a little louder.

Beyond that i will do all those jobs like new bushes and general wear an tear items but my uncle has done a fantastic job of keeping it in very good condition.

Started giving the interior a bit of clean up on my lunch break. Basically under a tonne of dust is a totally original untouched interior, there are a couple of tiny marks on the door cards and the gear knob has a bit of wear but everything else has come up well + EVERY electrical component/switch works.

RADO2.jpg

RADO3.jpg

The seat belts are quite the novelty and ive only been driving the car for a day yet i got into my golf earlier and it seamed really odd putting a belt on, then i made a TIT of myself by trying to get out the car having not taken my belt off :tongue:

BTW - Im based near Gloucester if any of you are Corrado spotting!

DAVE

Nice! Love a nugget and American spec is pretty cool too, I know Eric (Tempest) has one in white but do you know who has the other?

And where's the 7th speaker? Is it a sub or a front middle speaker on the dash?

Hello,

The seatbelts are quite clever, the belts stay in the open position when the doors are open then when you close the door and turn the ignition on the belt moves along a rail which ends up at the top of the door pulling the belt across your chest. It is strange at first and im finding that when i want to twist to eg look out the back whilst reversing they are a bit restricting. Passengers love them!

As for the other USA spec, i have no idea where it might be. Originally my uncle intended to buy more corrados and sell them in the UK as UK spec G60s were also left hand drive in 1989/90 it wouldnt have made much difference. US is far higher spec and due to the exchange rate he bought them at £14k when UK list was £19k

The 7th Speaker is indeed in the middle of the dash board, if im honest i was really surprised how good the front speakers sound. Just a shame the rear ones are LAME.

Got a chance to spend some more time on the car this evening.

continuing from before...

Rear seats

interiorrearseats.jpg

Air Con - and it does work, iiiiiiiiiice cool

aircon.jpg

Outside

frontsidebest.jpg

My favourite picture so far!

fronton.jpg

backside.jpg

backendspoilerup.jpg

G60corrado.jpg

fantastic.. car looks great!

i've actually got an original LHD double gauge holder somewhere.. Were you thinking of one of these or adding the 3 gauge holder from the audi's?

:luvlove: Looks really tasty mate, gotta love the originality!! :D

Whereabouts near Gloucester are u then mate? There's a few of us from that area!

fantastic.. car looks great!

i've actually got an original LHD double gauge holder somewhere.. Were you thinking of one of these or adding the 3 gauge holder from the audi's?

oh really, where the hell did you find that? i spotted them in the original brochure and they look spot on. I have a audi set up which i was thinking of putting in but id rather the 2 pod set up, am considering making a holder myself as well.

I am based in Stroud, i usually go along to the E38 meets up at the air balloon and the mk2 golf owners meets so some of you may spot me. Who else is local??

dave

oh really, where the hell did you find that? i spotted them in the original brochure and they look spot on. I have a audi set up which i was thinking of putting in but id rather the 2 pod set up, am considering making a holder myself as well.

I cant quite remember where it came from! I paid through the nose for it, with the intention of getting a company to use it as a sample to make replica RHD pods from as I couldnt find a RHD version to use.. never got round to it though! :lol: maybe one day..

I cant quite remember where it came from! I paid through the nose for it, with the intention of getting a company to use it as a sample to make replica RHD pods from as I couldnt find a RHD version to use.. never got round to it though! :lol: maybe one day..

Ah interesting, i was going to take some measurements of the cubby hole area and see if i can make my own 2 pod holder out of the remains of a knackered audi 3 pod. Il let you know how i get on. If it fails then i could well be interested in seeing some pics, getting some measurements of your LHD pod and see what we can do.

Thanks everyone for the welcome and the positive comments.

Hopefully this week il get a chance to do some proper work to it as ive been having a few problems with insurance on it.

Has anyone else had problems with classic car polices where either the car doesnt qualify or age related issues (only people over 30 can have a classic policy with some companies). What sort of **** is that , when i can be 7 years older than my "classic" car yet not be old enough to qualify.

Dave

so i got the insurance sorted - Thanks to Chris Knott - top guys!

This allowed me to take it down to Castle Combe last week to VW Driver day (pleasure to meet you Corrado ppl on the Corrado GB stand) and then this weekend i went to Polo Show on the saturday

radopoloshow.jpg

Then i began the fun job of cleaning inside the door shuts an boot. I only got 1 before pic bbut i expect you all know how messy these areas can get.

rado7-1.jpg

thats better

rado6.jpg

moved onto the boot to and had the boot seal off and clean around the edges - reckon il have to get a new seal to as the one on there is a bit manky in places.

rado4.jpg

rado5.jpg

After cleaning all the fiddly bits i began on the engine bay.

First job was to get the air box out and remove the snorkel silencer..

radosnorkel.jpg

Look what else i found :shrug:

rado8.jpg

yes that is a 6 inch roll of Sand Paper - how the hell would that get into the air box???????????????? at least its gone now.

No pic, but i chucked a K&N filter element in to and it has made quite a noticable difference to the induction noise. Next job is to drill the wing side of the airbox.

I also began cleaning the inner arches, nothing too exciting as i was literally only able to get to the parts i could reach with my hand - its certainly 1 advantage of having a un lowered car - HUUUUGE arch gap.

Hopefully il get a chance to get the car up on axle stands and begin cleaning arches an sills properly very soon!

I made a bit of a start of cleaning the engine bay to as it had 20years of gunk on it or as a car dealer would say "its a honest engine with a bit of grime but no leaks"

rado9.jpg

cant wait to get rid of carbon canister and all the associated pipes etc that go with it. Should neaten the bay up a bit and allow me to run a cold air feed directly into the bottom of the box.

Dave

Do they run properly without the carbon cannister? I thought not?? :scratch:

Do they run properly without the carbon cannister? I thought not?? :scratch:

Oh really? i have read that it is a good thing to remove as it just chucks dirty air back into the intake system and vacuum system. I read this from the Corrado WIKI in General tuning tips for G60 engines. In the past i have removed the system on my brothers old Polo GT which runs Digi management and is very similar to a G60 set up and there were no adverse effects but a great big hole to put a cold air pipe onto which goes into the bottom of the stock airbox thus maintaining a factory look.

I found this on Vortex which shows the routing for the vacuum pipes and which ones to remove/cap.

charcoal.gif

suppose worst case scenario il take it off and end up putting it back in with it being a opportunity to clean it lol

Dave

deffo bin the carbon cannister... as long as you blank the pipes off properly then it'll run exactly the same as it does now... It'll also allow you to cut a hole in the bottom of the airbox to take advantage of the large hole in the chassis leg where the cannister used to be... ;)

:D TOP MAN

That is exactly what i had planned. I just read on Vortex about someone who after plugging all the redundant vac lines and replacing the ones he did need he gained 2psi of boast and i know i have a slight whistle like a vac leek hence me wanting to get rid of a potential cause.

dave

Ah i see, is it that VR's dont run too well without it then? sure i heard it mentioned somewhere.

hope to see the car in the flesh sometime too 8)

That diagram makes it seem really complicated.. You don't need a mini k&n at all but can't think where that line goes without looking at the bay, may be the breath which can be fed into the top of the airbox.. Whole job about 15 mins, longest bit is drilling 10mm hole in the box.

On my satin valver I spotted that the carbon canister wasn't plumbed in, I wondered if it made a difference. I think it's going next time work on the project especially as its no even functional.