Sign in to follow this  
8vMatt

What make brake pads do you rate for 4-pots?

Hi guys

Just got my new front brakes fitted- 323mm EBC discs, Porsche Cayenne Rear Calipers and have fitted pads by TRW. The pads have now done approx 180 miles, so bedding in should be just about done maybe. When the car is cold, the pads feel rubbish! You can feel them just slide along the disc and slowly slow the car. Once the brakes have some heat in them, they really do bite into the disc and slow rapidly.

I'm wondering if there is a make of pad that will be good from the start of the drive and not fade away. I'm looking for the G-forces in braking!!! :nuts:

Cheers for the help.

Ferrodo DS2500's! They're expensive though... nearly £90 a pair for standard 280mm calipers! Very good though...

Doh - read "4-pots" and thought you meant 4 cylinder Corrado's :D

Not sure if they do the DS2500's for Cayenne rear calipers!

Haha thanks Jim, no worries. You are spot on with recommending the Ferodo's, another has talked about how good they are for him.

Anyone seen these before or heard of the make? Liked the sound of having Ceramic in the pads :norty: I won't be having ceramic discs for a long time, so next best thing!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Porsche-Cayenne-R ... 2a05f1e71e

I think Kev will tell you the DS2500s are generally thought to be the best pads but give a lot of brake dust. I'm sure Kev will be along in a bit to give his verdict.

If it helps I've got yellow stuffs on my ap's but I've not had a chance to try them yet!

DS2500 isn't bad, it's a popular fast road material most people use to beef up their stock brakes with, but imo it's over-priced. I used them for 2 years and they're easy to live with, harmless dust and last well.... but they just lack meaningful hot and cold bite... they're a bit bland on the pedal too. Pretty average imo, but better than stock pads.

Matt said he wants to feel Braking G forces and for that he needs a race material.

I recommend the Pagid RS15 :D

http://www.braketechnology.com/racecharacteristics.html

It's the pad I'm using at the moment and it's ridiculously powerful! The DS2500 doesn't even come close - at any temperature. It has buckets of pedal feel, excellent cold bite, ridiculous hot bite and they're soft on discs. Noisy and dusty, hell yes, but who cares, it's a proper driver's pad :D

You might want to look over seas at Axxis and Endless too. Performance Friction reputedly do some nice materials too.

One thing about the DS2500 for 4-Pots is they are actually cheaper for the 305mm Seat Brembo setup than the Brembo pads are from Seat so not too bad.

i need new pads all round next month actually, not too keen on shed loads of brake dust though

Yellowstuffs give off low dust, but they really not very good road pads imo though.

You can't have your cake and eat it :D

I've always been more into the 'used in anger' look, than trailor queen. So my car covered in bug splats, stone chips and black wheel dust I'm absolutely fine with :D My front end respray is looking 10 years old already :lol:

im far too OCD for that kev :lol: mine will never be a trailor queen but i do like it looking clean as possible for when it tears past people :D

and was looking at yellow pads actually after mic said about it. i would bet they are better than the ones i have on at min, not a clue what they are though

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll have a look at that link when I get home Kev, G's all the way!

When I bought the calipers, they came with Brembo pads, with about 7-8mm wear left on them. After a light sanding, would they be better than what I've got until race pad time?

Worth a go. I'm surprised the standard pads are so bad from cold though. OE pads are usually designed to give a very reassuring and instant initial bite.

Ben, I would take the Ferodos over the Yellows. I ran Yellows in mine for a bit and took them out again a few weeks later :lol:

ok then kev, will look into them then! i desperately need a rear brake upgrade to, a big one as well :)