Sign in to follow this  
Abdul

Rado Vr or...?

Hi guys, in the process of selling my valver, it should be gone by this weekend. Now i really was 100% set on a vr otherwise mine wouldnt be up for sale.

Here's my dilemma, my dad doesnt really drive (due to health issues) and every once in a while, maybe twice a week at the most, he might need a lift somewhere etc. Now he hates my corrado, partly because its old and he doesn't understand the appeal but more because he finds it pretty difficult to get in etc. So he's now suggested i get a Merc CLK so i had a look at the 320's 2000ish model and they cost about the same as a vr for a nice one.

I really dont know what to do now, ive always liked the merc's but feel like i have many years ahead for merc ownership (im 21) but at the same time i dont really want to let my pops down. Part of this is because he did buy me my first car and those funds have pretty much been the basis of my fundage of all the cars ive owned since. I mean he always helps me out etc if i need it so i feel a bit bad now, i mean he's pretty pleased my rados going :lol:

Weird thread i know but im a bit confused here as to what to do.

Abdul

If you don't get a VR now then by the time you do try to get one, they will be very hard to find.

If you don't get a VR now then by the time you do try to get one, they will be very hard to find.

Thats what im scared of, they're going to shoot up sooner or later in price.

Kad, cant insure a 4.0 v8 mate... thanks for the offer...

where do you live, are you anywhere near one of those car club schemes that you can rent cars by the hour? or just pay for taxis?

well you are very aware of how much a corrado costs to run so a VR6 is a bit of a step up as there are a few jobs on a VR6 mainly the HG, Cam chains/headwork that can cost a fair bit of money to get sorted but once they are done will be fine for thousands of miles.

The merc on the other hand... it is a good looking car and they are well spec'd but you will find it hard to find one with a good interior. I loooked at a few 230Kompressor models and far too many are auto, most have beige/biscuit colour interiors and all have bus size steering wheels lol. A mate of mine works at a Merc dealer and im seeing him later tonight so i can ask him about some of the service costs/parts costs etc on the CLKs. One thing for sure Merc are trying VERY hard at the moment o imporve reliability and improve servicing.

Dave

Thanks for the input guys.

Kad :lol: Driven my uncle's 745 which has the same engine i think (330 odd brake?) and its a bit of a monster tbh lol.

Taxi's will cost alot tbh and no i dont know of any car club schemes etc.

Kerrly, i wont service it etc at mercedes, i may lose value because of it but ill be taking it to Torque exhausts who have dealt with all my cars for the last 3 years. I mean they service and rebuild astons and ferrari's so a clk/vr will be fine with them lol.

I know the Vr will cost more to run than my valver but thats fine, if i get a merc i want a beige leather interior and an auto box :lol:

Tbh, merc servicing costs is no big deal, if i cant afford it dad will pay just because he wants me to have one, no kidding.

I just messaged FLA on here saying that at the end of the day i reckon it'll come down to which car comes up for sale first in the right condition/price etc.

Once again, thanks for the input guys.

pick out all the dodgy mercs from trader etc ,take the oldman to see em , ''oh dear dad i cant find a good one'' but i have found a good vr for a good price'' sorted mate ,roberts your fathers brother :lol:

a CLK isnt much more easier to get in and out of than a Rado and they are a pretty boring drive (though comfortable) unless its an AMG. What do you think of the 5 series sport?

Any possibility of getting a vr6 and also buying a cheap comfortable banger for doing the taxiing in?

Obviously difficult if parking is an issue..

I run a 500 quid carina e day to day and use my vr sparingly on a limited mileage policy, between the two the insurance isn't too bad and I save fuel and wear on the vr at the same time.

Mercs around that era rust very badly. I wouldnt bother.

I know about this, its not an issue for me, ill get it sorted!

Maj, i know what u mean but have you seen how low my rado is? Im not going to drive a jacked up rado; this also means its got a harsh as f*ck ride!! I dont want a 5 series, nice drive but not my thing, too grown up lol.

To those who are suggesting a 2nd car, i live in a high car crime area and am only 21, insuring one car is more than expensive enough! Couldnt afford another.

Rob... :norty: :lol:

Insure a car on ya dads name and get a classic car policy (with entitlement to drive other cars) out for the VR6.

Insure a car on ya dads name and get a classic car policy (with entitlement to drive other cars) out for the VR6.

hmm....

Thanks for that.... :wink: