Sign in to follow this  
Abdul

Side exit exhausts, how loud?

Hey guys, thinking of one for my VR to be, always thought it'd look cool on a rado.

Now how anyone got one or heard one? How loud are they as i dont want to wake up the neighbours everytime i start the thing!

If i lost the cat and put a small silencer in its place and used a small diameter pipe like a 2" or something rather than the regular 2.5" would that perhaps help with keeping it quiet?

I havent really looked under a vr but maybe i could squeeze in another silencer somewhere before the tips exit just ahead of the rear wheels...

I know some wont like it etc and i might not even do it so please can we have constructive comments only please.

Abdul

I'm not sure if you would notice an increase in noise or not.

2" instead of 2.5" would help quieten things down, and I'm sure if you had a custom exhaust place make one up they would be able put a silencer in somewhere and make it as quiet as you wanted.

One thing I would be be cautious of is that if your car if running anything but perfect, then any contaminate (oil or fuel) could end up over your rear tires.

I must admit I am a fan of side exhausts since seeing James Hodsons Mk2 drag car.

Is it not just a serious waste of time and money?

You have to look at the up and down sides ....

Benefit:

Seen (sic) points

Sounds good if you get it right

Negatives:

Looks ghey

Costs money

Burns people as they get out of the car

Could harm body/paintwork due to the hot exhaust sitting under each sill

Potentially stupidly loud

Will look gash

VW designed the exhaust like that for a very good reason

Is it not just a serious waste of time and money?

You have to look at the up and down sides ....

Benefit:

Seen (sic) points

Sounds good if you get it right

Negatives:

Looks ghey

Costs money

Burns people as they get out of the car

Could harm body/paintwork due to the hot exhaust sitting under each sill

Potentially stupidly loud

Will look gash

VW designed the exhaust like that for a very good reason

Thanks for all of your opinions with regards to how it looks, i like the way they look bud. VW no doubt did design the exhaust the way they did for a good reason but there are plenty of aftermarket systems out there that differ from the stock vw system and this could just be another!

Im not worried about people getting burnt, no one rubs themselves against my car when getting out so thats that sorted. Im sure the paint work can cope with a bit of heat and ill make sure i leave a similar gap to what a magnex or similar leaves between itself and the bumper.

Costs money, no worries, ill sell the aftermarket system thats on the VR already. A straight bit of pipe with a single bend and a silencer or two wont cost too much.

Potentially stupidly loud is my worry....

Thanks for the input.

Abdul

Peanut and MI5 VW on here put a side exit exhaust on a Mk3 Estate they ran a couple of years ago. Maybe worth a PM for their thoughts?

no one rubs themselves against my car when getting out

But VR6 rubs himself up against his car though :lol:

I like side exits, check out Dahlback Racing's MK4 Golf. That's got the mother of all sidees on it, 4" diameter IIRC. But it does put out 900hp :cuckoo: :D

You might need to check into the legality as I'm sure there's a strange rule about them.

I've got a front exit...

Yep, you read it right - I've removed the whole exhaust system (including the manifold) to save weight.

Still needs a bit of tweaking though as the car feels quite unresponsive and I have to stop the car every few miles to throw up.

Good move mate, I can see your thinking behind that one. You've got a turbo engine and wanted the quickest possible spool up time :salute:

So are you finding my Grandad's WW2 gas mask useful then?

Good move mate, I can see your thinking behind that one. You've got a turbo engine and wanted the quickest possible spool up time :salute:

So are you finding my Grandad's WW2 gas mask useful then?

This is the problem though Kev - the tubo is currently on the floor of the garage (attached to the manifold) - I've been doing some reading and it appears it won't actually work like this and needs to be attached to the car in some way - I'm thinking about getting it welded on but maybe using sticky fixers as a tempory solution?

Old Albert Haywires mask is very useful although it gets steamed up fairly quickly... the view is quite restrictive too and I keep finding myself driving straight over roundabouts - apart from that though it's very good and also has the added advantage that it can be used whilst out dogging too!

Are you meeting myself and Nelson at the pub later??

Ok all this turbo talk is too confusing for me :lol:

No one's allowed to touch my cars paint let alone rub it so all is good and Kev, you're right, there is some odd legality surrounding it.

Supercharged, is that on ur tdi? Surely it'll still be pretty quiet but with tonnes of turbo spool noise?

I can't find a picture but there is a very well known very low red corrado with side exit exhaust that looks the mutts nuts. Its the one running a proper hybrid engine with, i think from memory, either 10j or 11j on the rear. I have the picture and the feature on it at home.

As for the noise, it really depends on how many silencers you keep. My friend had one on his polo and it was loud but that was because he removed his backbox to fit it. Can look tasteful but can look ultra chavvy as well!

edit: GOTCHA!

http://speedhunters.com/archive/2009/05 ... rrado.aspx

DSC06720.jpg