Sign in to follow this  
Pickard1

New corrado

I was the lucky winner of the race to get my hands on the 700 quid G60 in the cars for sale section. Sorry everyone else that was interested! :wave:

I picked it up this morning from West London and took it around a congested north circular and up through Hertfordshire, eventually back to Leicester. A good 50 miles in busy traffic on a very hot day and the oil and water temps remained spot on. The car pulled well, has a very good interior and low mileage. Also the seller threw in a Bentley manual and some servicing stuff for free. 97,000 miles, original bbs alloys with new pirelli's seems pretty good.

There are a few niggles, the most serious being a rust patch on the roof that has left a couple of pin holes right through the panel. This will need some professional welding and painting I reckon. There is a bit of rust on one of the wings, but as this isn't going to make the inside of the car wet I don't view it as being as serious.

There are a few electrical gremlins. The dials sometimes go mental when you indicate left, flickering up and down in tune with the indicators flashing on and off - but it doesn't do it when the hazards are on. Also the indicator doesn't cancel when you indicate left. The starter motor doesn't fire every time you turn the key, and sometimes when it does it makes a crunching noise. I'm hoping that the starter gremlins could be due to an ignition switch possibly? and that the indicator problem is some kind of alignment issue, possibly someone has been in there to look at the ignition and not put the indicator stalk back right?

The plan is to go for an MOT and see if it passes, if its goes through cheaply I'll start looking at the gremlins. Finally I'll pay someone to sort the paint.

If anyone has any idea about the clocks and dials going mental in time with the indicators please let me know.....

I think indicator not self cancelling is a worn ring/stalks replacement should be fairly cheap, it could be someone has taken it apart but these things are very fiddly to mess about with, you may want to upgrade to vr6 stalks whilst your at it.

I'd check earth points, relays for the speedo playing up, there is an earth point just to the right of the fusebox i think that were most things are earthed for the instrument cluster.

Starter motor could be a corroded lead and also dirt getting inside the teeth, a good clean with some grease may do the trick.

Hope that helps and good luck with the G

Definately an earth issue on the indicators - and as Majic also said, the grinding on starting is likely to be a gummed up starter.

Good luck and nice buy - hope you get the shower sorted!

Cheers Gents, I'll inspect the starter if it keeps playing up....it seemed to have stopped by yesterday evening. The thing that was making me suspect the switch was that there is a receipt for a new starter within the last couple of years.

Reading this makes me feel a little bit better - I was coming down on the wednesday to collect this one if you didnt take it on the saturday (Damn late pay days!!!!) :mad2: :lol:

I know its horrible, but im quite glad it has a few niggles as I would have been completely gutted if it was perfect and i'd missed out lol. However - indicator problem sounds like a crappy earth, without a shadow of a doubt. Starter could be the same thing, or at least a fairly simple job to fix - as for the indicator not cancelling... mine has never worked on the left and its never bothered me ;)

Seriously, best of luck with it mate! Hope it brings you lots of cheap and fun driving :D