n3p

Green Storm Turbo - Sold :(

That looks totally different :(

My OCD couldn't handle that, might be worth finding out how much it'd cost to get another seat back retrimmed properly? Might not be too expensive...

:(

Are there any seats which are similar to the corrado rear that you know of then? (that it could be). It's such an annoying find :bad-words: From what I remember all of the other features seem to be the same but i'll have to take some more pictures later just to be sure.

When you say get another seat back trimmed do you mean the cushion part missing, or the whole seat? And to repeat myself, are the rear seats separate or a complete joined bench/hump combo?

Buy another standard rear bench and take both to a retrimmers to make one good seat out of bad. Shouldn't cost too much as they don't need to fully retrim... just use the good bits from the standard bench to fix the missing bit behind the leather?

I'm reeeeally really hoping it can be this simple! Just worried about stitch patterns and the like, but i shouldn't be so hasty as to doubt a trimmers skills :lol:

But as Mr.Beige says, it might be a different seat? :(

Fingers crossed!

You could just get that half of a seat back. In fact I think I've got one that is just in grey cloth that you can have for nothing. I'll check the garage if you are interested?

You could just get that half of a seat back. In fact I think I've got one that is just in grey cloth that you can have for nothing. I'll check the garage if you are interested?

That would be great if you wouldn't mind! I could come and collect at some point too (or pay for postage). Is there anything at all you may want in return? I still have that manifold I got from you many moons ago :norty: (still unused)

Do you know if the cushion underneath is the same thickness and shape as the leathers?

As far as I'm aware, they are the same, but I'm sure that someone could confirm. Collection or postage would be fine fella. Buy me a beer somewhen :)

Still haven't fitted it...terrible, it is soooo lovely and shiney ;)

that is quite bizarre :scratch:

is the leather and stitching the same?

it looks almost like a Corrado seat but without the seat foam behind it, but in another way almost like a home made copy of a rear bench :(

As far as I'm aware, they are the same, but I'm sure that someone could confirm. Collection or postage would be fine fella. Buy me a beer somewhen :)

Still haven't fitted it...terrible, it is soooo lovely and shiney ;)

Just checked your location and it seems rather far :( If you could post (at my cost) i'd love you forever and you can have all the beers your innards can handle :clap:

And indeed it is shiney! I didn't want it to look out of place in an otherwise grubby engine bay. That, and nobody sells lower half 50mm parts anywhere. :lol:

I checked the seats on ETKA, seems the only different seat back foam (apart from the late non-hump 8v and 16v) was an odd one for the 'JET' special edition.

So any foam (e.g. the old valver ones) should do.

backrest.jpg[/attachment:2v4ntso9]

if Mr B doesn't sort you out, I've got at least two rear seats in my garage and you're welcome to the foam from those, imagine only a couple of quid postage if I do it through my work post room. Cost the princely sum of £2.88 to send an interior light unit to Canada the other day :lol:

I checked the seats on ETKA, seems the only different seat back foam (apart from the late non-hump 8v and 16v) was an odd one for the 'JET' special edition.

So any foam (e.g. the old valver ones) should do.

backrest.jpg[/attachment:1d6qn47s]

if Mr B doesn't sort you out, I've got at least two rear seats in my garage and you're welcome to the foam from those, imagine only a couple of quid postage if I do it through my work post room. Cost the princely sum of £2.88 to send an interior light unit to Canada the other day :lol:

davidwort :luvlove: Can you believe I failed to notice the other post you left me earlier! You're trying to scare me now right, with all this talk of home made benches! Hopefully nobody would have gone to such effort to bodge it :( ?

I've had a quick glance at the stitching and there appears to be some missing on the back cushion part, but as you (and Mr beige) have said, it almost looks like an entirely different seat aswell. From what I saw it looked the same, but I promise that tomorrow evening I shall take some more pics and see if I can unearth anything.

Thanks for checking ETKA for me, i completely forgot about that ever since VAGCAT decided to be gay and stop working. And thanks for the offer! I'm in foamy paradise - Mr B or DW? If you have to physically tear your spares apart then i'd rather take Mr B's half-a-seat. If you don't mind however, i'll take both offers! Can never have too much foam eh. Ofcourse i'll cover all costs and in turn will mail some love :luvlove:

Nick

:lol:

my Mrs would be more than pleased to see me get rid of some bits from the garage, I just picked up a complete 16v interior the other weekend, just for the passenger seat inner bolster to swap with the driver's outer bolster on my 8v :lol:

Grim1 on here gave me the seats for nowt :salute: and I promised to pass the bits I didn't need on to worthy causes :)

keep reminding me if you don't hear from me soon, might not be till the weekend I get around to getting all the bits out.

my Mrs would be more than pleased to see me get rid of some bits from the garage, I just picked up a complete 16v interior the other weekend, just for the passenger seat inner bolster to swap with the driver's outer bolster on my 8v :lol:

Grim1 on here gave me the seats for nowt :salute: and I promised to pass the bits I didn't need on to worthy causes :)

keep reminding me if you don't hear from me soon, might not be till the weekend I get around to getting all the bits out.

It would be very kind if you could sort me out, just let us know of postage costs and i'll send you the moolah right away :luvlove: :luvlove:

Davidwort fixed it for me? Almost :)

Some more pictures as promised.

From what I can see everything else is the same, although the poo seat seems to be more sunken and the side-backing bolster things are alot flatter compared to the other one. That or the back cushion consists of everything (i.e. the sides + central bit?) It's almost as if a large item has been sat there for ages or something :scratch: . The hard backing looks all manky too :(

Also attached a picture of the stitching close up, the side stitching seems to be riddled with holes, but at the same time the horizontal stitching is full? Strange, but i think it *might* just be missing the cushiony part.

Anyone else care to guess?

It looks to me if the leather has shrunk. I did a quick google, and it seem that when leather gets wet it expands and then when it dries it shrink. Take a stitched chamois, I have one that I use for the car, and that has gone all out of shape and pulled the stitching really tight. It might be that you can try a leather restoration to 'improve' it, but I suspect that it will never be the same as the other side.

Check this link out clicky

Quite an interesting read, thanks for that..never realised leather was such a bastard :mad2: . The side cushions do appear to have shrunk (therefore squishing down the padding underneath? :shrug: ) But the middle bit still seems odd. Do you not think a part is missing then Mr B? :luvlove:

Perhaps, but I think it could be like that if it had shrunk. What does the back of the seat look like?

it still looks so odd, if the leather has shrunk then perhaps the cover has also come away from the metal rods that secure it into the cushion foam, need to take it to bits and investigate more I reckon.

Thanks for the input guys - i'll check the back of the seats tomorrow and will provide pics. If I have some time i'll try to remove the rear seat, no idea how to but i'm sure it will all make sense once I get stuck in :norty:

coming in a minute, a rear seat partial stripdown - series of pics, just need to resize and upload them, few issues that complicate things unfortunately.

OK, pics up, removing the edge of the covers is easy enough, plastic edge trim is just tucked up and under the edges of the seat back.

when you get all the sides off you can see the centre 3 horizontal cross stitching lines are not where the cover is latched onto the main cushion/foam, that is done with vertical rods, there are some attached to the covers and then ones moulded into the foam and the rods link at the top and bottom and have small hoops connecting part way down.

The main thing I noticed was the covers are double layered and have a thin layer of foam stitched inside them, be interesting to compare that to the leather ones.

Another issue is the glueing, the main foam is very well glued all the way round to the seat back frame, could be an issue if attempting to swap foams, I think it would be best to transfer a cover to the whole foam and frame, but then the carpet might not be the same type, grey on my old valver one here.

:shock:

Please tell me you found these pics somewhere online, because my conscience can't cope with the fact that you've gone and done all of this for my benefit! If so, i'm touched! Thank you so much for going to the effort :luvlove:

If infact you did find them then it's ok, the love is still here :norty:

I never realised there was so much to these seats and the glue comment has worried me a little - You're right I think it would be best to restitch the whole piece. And i'd rather have a different shade of carpet at the back than squished, hard shrunken leather on the front! Only just seen that the central bench would have to be trimmed too.

I only hope that once trimmed, the fresh leather doesn't overpower its dirty, abused twin. Stitching, too. If anyone knows of a decent trimmer i'm all ears! David, is there one near you? I can come up and give you a hug :clap:

You're a star, thanks again

yeah, but it only took 10 mins in the garage just now, I was actually intruiged anyway, one bit of a Corrado I've never attempted to take to bits :lol:

It is a bit more involved than I thought though, those seats are quite complicated, lots of separate parts, no wonder VW never made any money out of the C.

yeah, but it only took 10 mins in the garage just now, I was actually intruiged anyway, one bit of a Corrado I've never attempted to take to bits :lol:

It is a bit more involved than I thought though, those seats are quite complicated, lots of separate parts, no wonder VW never made any money out of the C.

Checked the back and thankfully it isn't cream :clap:

If you had that spare bit going i'll take it :norty:

I'll get an idea of the postage cost from work next week, with the metal frame and backing board it's going to be pretty heavy, doubt more than a tenner though.

I notice your seats don't have the metal bars vertically down the back, perhaps this was a later style of interior? - will check on my 8v, don't think it makes any difference at all, they just seem to have deleted it from later seats. The back of the old spare 16v seats I have are black, not the grey floor carpet colour too, same on my actual 1990 16v car, I think all seats, regardless of interior have the black backs, which is handy.

I'll get an idea of the postage cost from work next week, with the metal frame and backing board it's going to be pretty heavy, doubt more than a tenner though.

I notice your seats don't have the metal bars vertically down the back, perhaps this was a later style of interior? - will check on my 8v, don't think it makes any difference at all, they just seem to have deleted it from later seats. The back of the old spare 16v seats I have are black, not the grey floor carpet colour too, same on my actual 1990 16v car, I think all seats, regardless of interior have the black backs, which is handy.

Thanks 8) 8)! I'm in no immediate rush btw

Are the visible metal bars you mention very noticeable then?

:salute:

If your looking for a trimmer then give Stuart at Ashley James auto trim a ring. They've just done my dash and made an absolute peach of the work. 01942 816612.

The team he has there is first class.

They're based near Wigan but have a collection and delivery service.

You're right what you say about the old V new leather thing though and I'd personally reccomend having the complete bench re-done.

It looks like either the seat has been repaired (badly) before or it has been soaked. It certainly wouldn't have come from the factory like that.

Send them a small sample from the back of a seat and they'll match it. They're prices are very competitive. The quality is first class and as a result, there is a lead time of usually six weeks.

Oh and mention James suggested them. :D