Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Fixed Height Column Mod - Parts List?

It sits pretty much central out of the 3 or 4 positions you have normally. I always have mine one up from the bottom setting and I've driven cars with the fixed height mod and it's absolutely spot on for me.

Yeah thats where mine sits. One up from lowest.

Is it not easier to swap out the worn UJ though?

I think there's some talking at cross purposes here, the 'UJ' Jim is talking about is part of the height adjuster mechanism and cannot be replaced.

The main steering UJ connects the rack to the bottom of the column (and can be separately replaced), that may be an MOT fail itself although they rarely give trouble.

Even on a 'good condition' adjustable column, the adjuster 'UJ' seems to be the cause of extra play, remove it altogether and the feel of the steering is much better, unless of course your suspension top mounts are totally shot like on my 8v :lol:

I can confirm the late upper and lower trims needed for this are LONG GONE! :brickwall: Just went to order few bits and thought I'd check and they've been obsolete for years.

I think there's some talking at cross purposes here, the 'UJ' Jim is talking about is part of the height adjuster mechanism and cannot be replaced.

The main steering UJ connects the rack to the bottom of the column (and can be separately replaced), that may be an MOT fail itself although they rarely give trouble.

Even on a 'good condition' adjustable column, the adjuster 'UJ' seems to be the cause of extra play, remove it altogether and the feel of the steering is much better, unless of course your suspension top mounts are totally shot like on my 8v :lol:

Ta for the clarification David. I reckon its the bottom joint on mine then. Cheers.

On a good note though my fixed column's just arrived :clap:

Haven't spoken with Geoff yet about using his workshop, I'll no doubt be seeing him soon though so I shall find out and then if he says yes we can arrange a weekend to do some fixed column goodness!

My suspension will be here next week (touch wood! Can't fecking wait tbh) so might work it so if Kev comes uuuuber early as he usually does :lol: then we could get to the workshop first and fit the new coilies in an hour or so then Jim and Mr Wort can meet us there and we can commence guiding shafts in to dark holes! :cheers:

Sounds like a plan :)

Only problem is, apparently the adjustable height column surround can't be fitted to the fixed height column surround. David Wort says that they're different fitments / bolt up in different places :| :( :(

/\ Yes, that's correct.

Didn't realise the NA cowlings were obsolete, but doesn't surprise me :?

That's good news Rob! Looking forward to seeing the shiney new Gazzumpers!

Yes, the advantage of the fixed column is you are removing a linkage, so the steering is a lot more direct and the feedback is stronger.

Wear in the column-to-rack UJ and the column's UJ aren't always perceptible to the naked eye, or by feel, in isolation, but amplified up the long column pole, the slack is most definitely noticeable if it's present!! That's why I replaced the rack UJ aswell as the column. The steering feel is awesome. Self centering feels a lot stronger too and more consistent.

If the UJ in the adjustable column wears and fails the MOT, it's over £500 to replace, so the fixed column is mod of the year :D

Sounds like a plan :)

Only problem is, apparently the adjustable height column surround can't be fitted to the fixed height column surround. David Wort says that they're different fitments / bolt up in different places :| :( :(

B0ll0cks! :brickwall: :brickwall:

Chances of finding a late car with a fixed column is going to be pretty slim as well I'd imagine? Was the fixed a standard item on early valvers?

A lot of late 8v's had fixed column - particuarly ones without sun roofs.

It's annoying but I'm sure the non fixed one will still fit fine, just with a small gap.

A lot of late 8v's had fixed column - particuarly ones without sun roofs.

It's annoying but I'm sure the non fixed one will still fit fine, just with a small gap.

I can put up with a small gap.

What's the difference between the early and late, just the size of the hazard light?

If the early ones are still available and this is the case would be easy enough to just cut the hole a bit bigger for the hazard light!

yeah, probably, but rather than bodging it like that it might even be possible to fit an early hazard light to a late column switch, I'll have to compare my two.

My 8v has a fixed column and the older style 16v had the retro fit and like kev says it's now solid as, even though the actual column was a second hand one from a polo and the bottom bearing is the original from the 165K corrado adjustable tube. Can't compare with the 8v at the moment as the top mounts have like a mile of play in them, it's like driving a 1970's transit :lol:

Checked with the Stealers today, the old style housing shows still available,but on back order !

still only a fiver each :shock:

All the bits came in including the steering tube which was on back order. I've also contacted my parts guy and got him to order the early style fixed column trim instead... will see if I can't adapt something somehow out of the various trim pieces I'll have :)

I didn't need the main column itself or the lock housing as I already had those - so came to £60.12 with my 10% discount.

All the bits came in including the steering tube which was on back order. I've also contacted my parts guy and got him to order the early style fixed column trim instead... will see if I can't adapt something somehow out of the various trim pieces I'll have :)

Think I might do the same :salute:

Gents this is next on my list to do while I do the matrix, out of interest where are you based...You may have another one for the party if I tackle the matrix first mind :lol:

Gong to get this lot ordered tomorrow, were all those parts on Jims list 100% needed?

*Edit* Whats the part number for the Polo/Corrado shared column so I can check my VW breakers too please? :)

sixpotter, I believe the part number is 535 419 503H

I'm in the same boat as you, need to do both the matrix and column!

Gents this is next on my list to do while I do the matrix, out of interest where are you based...You may have another one for the party if I tackle the matrix first mind :lol:

Gong to get this lot ordered tomorrow, were all those parts on Jims list 100% needed?

*Edit* Whats the part number for the Polo/Corrado shared column so I can check my VW breakers too please? :)

Certainly need all the parts. The most expensive bits are unfortunately the most essential. The other bits (bearings, springs) are comparatively cheap so kind of irrelevant!

I ordered the early trim pieces yesterday. Even they are looking scarce by the looks of it, he had none showing up in stock on his system but they weren't showing as obsolete. He put the order in for me anyway to see if there are any!

I bet their ordering system is all confused now - people asking for these two parts suddenly in two different locations?! :)

I bet their ordering system is all confused now - people asking for these two parts suddenly in two different locations?! :)

Yeah I bet :lol:

Well the column tube and both cowls are no longer available as I tried to order the lot today but left it as without these as I don't think I can do it without can I??

Also they didn't recognise the contact ring part number :cuckoo: