aide

my wheels

Still interested in going to one though and travelling is not a problem.

hopefully get to that mounstewart thing or this months meet if your about then.

Did you do the rear lights yourself? I see that you pin striped the indicators. Was in a pain doing the striping? What tint spray did you use?

thanks for comments, yeh i pinstriped them, as MOT's over here are non compromising government run affairs :hitler: they properly flash orange with standard bulbs though, downside is they are noticeable.

i just cut 4mm strips of masking tape and made sure they were properly stuck down over the 'lens' lines, bit fiddly and more time consuming but only an hour or so, i just used the savage spray, i'll get a close up pic later to show where i masked to.

Lights do look good. Id keep the 288's on, I asked a while ago about going to 312's and it wasnt really worth it from what I remember. You will then still be able to run the standard wheels if you want.

Lights do look good. Id keep the 288's on, I asked a while ago about going to 312's and it wasnt really worth it from what I remember. You will then still be able to run the standard wheels if you want.

cheers, yeh remember that thread, not much difference between them it seems, makes sense for wheel flexibility as you say.

close up pic of the pinstriped bits of the rears \/

Nice tidy job on the rear lights aide, I think the stripes are the best way to go. As you say an hour or so with a steady hand is well worth the results 8)

Cheers Dan, lights are best bit off car :lol:

I masked off lower red lens of lights, gave the orange section 3 or 4 costs then a further 3 or to all the lights to get even colour, then yeh lacquered. Used a cutting compound, tcut and then polish.

Not much progress lately, on Sunday I managed to fix the central exhaust hangers which has thankfully cured the faint exhaust/ beam knock i had, will have to fit new hangers though.

Wasn't happy with the way i'd done the rear wiper delete, so got a larger and shinier grommet to replace it :)

Cars gonna be off the road at the end of October so plan is to drive it loads until then, got some scenic pics too :camp:

got them in maplins, got loads left if you want some?

had to shave the back off and then stuck it on, when i go for a respray (big when) i plan on doing it properly and flattening the hump out.

yeh seals fine, am happy for a couple of quid outlay anyway :)

pm me your address sure and i'll get some sent over.

Not much progress lately, on Sunday I managed to fix the central exhaust hangers which has thankfully cured the faint exhaust/ beam knock i had, will have to fit new hangers though.

Wasn't happy with the way i'd done the rear wiper delete, so got a larger and shinier grommet to replace it :)

Cars gonna be off the road at the end of October so plan is to drive it loads until then, got some scenic pics too :camp:

what did you stick the grommet down with? id be interested in a couple if youvr got any spare.... :D

Nice pics Aide, car is looking good... the grommet is a good job too 8) It seems like you've just got the car on the road & now its time for hibernation again :) How do you find the brakes now they've bedded in?

cheers Dan, got tonnes of wee dents and scrapes which need sorting, have also found the dreaded rust around the filler :(

brakes are way better than they were, and feel like proper brakes now, highly recommend it, give us a shout if you want a hand doing yours.

yeh i know, was always going to be a short stint this year with the way the previous owners tax worked out, next year will be proper 6 month from May through to October though :) am actually looking forward to it in a way, as i just dont get chance to work on it much and prefer to drive it if i can, at least if its off the road i can chip away at the next stages;

- drop the tank and replace the fuel lines DONE

- front subframe and engine mounts DONE

- cylinder head, and maybe convert from dizzy to coilpack, 263? HALF DONE

- get someone good with a welder to sort the filler cap... DONE THAT MYSELF TOO :)

Edited by aide

Thats it, Rome wasn't built in a day. I'm in the same boat, it takes a lot of money, time & effort to get these cars the way we want them

But their worth it... :) The black really looks good when polished btw

sorry to hear about behind the filler cap, how bad is it? I checked behind my filler cap the other day & thankfully its ok.

well time has been short lately, and what with the freezing weather over christmas i didn't fancy lying on my back too much, still got a few things done;

- eventually got round to replacing the rear ABS sensors, ABS light is now out

- changed all the exhaust hangers which cured the exhaust knock i had

- i dropped the fuel tank to replace the fuel lines which are perished and fixed the static wire, but fue lines are on hold whilst i sort the filler rust, thankfully have caught it before it started eating the inner panel too, still going to be a ball ache to fix though :|

- am also cutting rust out round the rear quarter panel and starting to sort some bubbling on the rear arches

- started using an electrolyte bath to strip stuff for painting, works really well, have taken both the tank straps and bumper back to bare metal and repainted them both.

pics of progress;

plan is to get the filler cap and the rear quarter panel seam welded over next couple of weeks, then its a quick prep and home spray, then get tank, new fuel lines and bumper back on...

Edited by aide

a little more progress, have spent last two weeks prepping and base coating the rust spots on the rear arch, and also found some more rust on the underside at the rear which i took back to bare metal, prepped and then coated with at least 6 coats of paint :) all areas now ready for a little waxoyl.

also prepped some small panels for the filler repair, welded these in yesterday, admittedly i'm not going to win the pretty weld competition but hey i'm a beginner and the penetration is good and the repair is solid.

have now prepared the inner section of the rear filler cap and the screw points for the tank, and have already given it a couple of coats of paint, pics to follow of that. plan is to get the tank and wheels back on this weekend so at least the car is pushable, will then weld the outer panel - pics to follow of that.

good question Jay! am trying to do everything myself and don't have a lot of time at present, plan is on the road for 6 months from May onwards.... front subframe and then cylinder head is next, not major jobs but an hour in the evenings and a solid morning at the weekends makes slow progress.

you ever find the centre caps for your vento cups.... mine are wrecked so i need some?!

Keeps you busy I guess!

Nope still no joy! I have 3 that came with the wheels but now also have a million odd ones as part of the hunt! Last try was Speedline themselves who told me those caps aren't available and were really good and sent me one of their current ones to try but still no luck!

Gonna just get a cheap set of universal ones plus some stick on badges for now!

I actually cannot believe that none of em fit! Thought yours were ok?

that's incredible they're that unique, i took a much closer look at mine, some tabs are broken and i've got bubbling under the laquer, i intend to paint mine but the condition they're in will make it difficult, what i might do is get cheapo universal set like yourself and then add a speedline decal to them - bodge complete :)

pretty good progress today;

- finished welding the filler cap up, ground the welds back and got first layer of filler on

- replaced the rubber elements of the fuel pipes and cleaned the rest

- got the tank back on with new clips

- got the car off axle stands for the first time in 2 months.

managed to get a few hours during this weeks evenings to sand back and refill the filler repair a few times to the smooth finish i have now, already given it a first coat of base coat :)