Ben-B

Ben-B's Progress Thread - Aqua Blue VR6 with lots of extras!

As some people may have noticed from my signature and his f/s thread, I bought Billcor's tuned VR6 off him. He was selling it at a bargain price, considering the work that's gone into it, and when I saw it I thought it's something I can't ignore, so I spent 10 hours on the train to go view and test drive the car, and put a deposit on it the same day.

Then today/yesterday I spent another 5 hours on the train to go collect it...

As far as I am aware... here is the specifications... (Bill or someone else may correct me if I'm wrong :lol:, I'll be looking through the vast number of receipts in due course to see if I've missed anything). Here's Bill's thread too: http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewto ... 11&t=46677

- Schrick VGI (variable geometry intake) inlet manifold

- Schrick 268 cams

- Skimmed and reconditioned cylinder head

- Big bore throttle body

- Supersprint 6 branch heat-wrapped exhaust manifold

- Milltek hi-flow sports-cat

- Milltek cat-back exhaust system

- BMC CDA

- AmD chip

- Brembo 323mm 4-pot brakes

- KW variant 1 coilovers

- OZ Ultraleggera 17x8 wheels

- Audi TT front seats, original rear seats retrimmed to match

- Vibratech front engine mount

- Lupo GTi wiper conversion

I've been told by a few people that with a remap it'd be somewhere between 230 and 240bhp. Others say more, some say less, but we'll see...

There is a Rolling Road printout from September 2000, when the car had the Schrick manifold and AmD chip fitted. I'll try scan these in at a later date, but for now, the results are as follows:

- Maximum Power Speed 5552 Rpm (110.5 Mph in gear used)

- Power at Flywheel (Corrected) = 205.3 Bhp

- Power at Flywheel (Measured) = 198.9 Bhp

- Power at Wheels = 143.7 Bhp

- Power Loss (Transmission, Tyres, etc) = 55.2 Bhp

- Maximum Torque speed 3668 Rpm (73.0 Mph in gear used)

- Maximum Engine Torque (Corrected) = 238.8 lb ft

- Maximum Road Speed reached in Test = 124.0 Mph

- Maximum Engine Speed reached in Test = 6231 Rpm

There's also 2 power and 2 torque graphs, I assume one is the before and the other is after... so if that is the case, then here is the improvement...

BEFORE: 188.7 Bhp @ 5558 Rpm, 192.7 lb ft @ 4213 Rpm

AFTER: 205.3 Bhp @ 5552 Rpm, 238.8 lb ft @ 3668 Rpm

GAINS: 16.6 Bhp, 46.1 lb ft

My immediate plans are to fit the two rolled front arches and undented passenger door that Bill supplied with the car, along with general cleaning it up, giving it a good polish, fixing up the interior which has a few issues (heater fan only working on speed 4, loose handbrake cover and dash etc).

I want to take it to Awesome GTi for a full service and checkover as soon as possible too, just for peace of mind. Also I want it put on a rolling road (as much to find any hidden faults/problems as to get a power readout) and get it weighed at a weigh bridge. That way I'll have power/torque and weight figures for how the car was when I started MY progress. May even go to a RWYB day at Santa Pod and get some 1/4 mile times too.

Longer term, I'm gonna be putting my mark on it, changing a few things, such as the wheels. The bodywork isn't perfect, although it is fine for now, and the intention is to get it resprayed eventually. I'm constantly keeping my eye out on ebay for bargains, and will be looking out for a new smaller steering wheel, perhaps a bargain pair of seats, couple of smaller things, then see what's what. Other plans are to swap out the damaged and polish-stained splitter for a smaller version, that won't catch on pavements and speed bumps, and also get the VW/Corrado/VR6 badges sprayed satin black.

In the interest of it running as best it can though, I'm gonna remap it as soon as I can afford to take it to Stealth, not gonna take it to anyone but an expert, and Stealth are about as good as it gets with VRs from what I've been told by VR owners. Also looking at polybushing it sooner rather than later, the standard bushes will no doubt be worn by now.

When I can afford to, I'll get a second car, daily driver, and turn this into a less practical car... stripping it to lose as much weight as possible for free, then start the more expensive weight saving, carbon bonnet/boot etc. Eventually I intend to turn this into a track monster.

So here is the car from when I went to test drive her.

rado1.jpg

rado2.jpg

rado3.jpg

rado4.jpg

rado5.jpg

rado6.jpg

I was looking on the Corrado.net forum and found a group buy from several months earlier on the Wavetrac limited slip diff, so posted in the thread asking for reviews on it. One of the guys who hadn't got round to fitting his (greasegriff) offered to sell me his, as he received it, so thought that was an opportunity I couldn't really miss.

I then noticed on VR6 OC that Neal was selling a Gemini 6-speed gearbox... so I put a deposit down on that too.

Here's a description of how the Wavetrac diff works, for anyone who's interested: http://www.wavetrac.net/technical.htm

The Gemini box uses the same final drive as the standard box, and same ratio 1st & 2nd gears, but 3rd-5th are all shorter than the standard box, with 6th gear slightly longer than the standard 5th. Basically, the Gemini box has fitted an extra gear between 3rd and 5th compared to the standard box.

To improve acceleration I could have lowered the final drive ratio, but that means I'd have had a short top gear, the 6 speed box is the best of both... close ratio gears for faster acceleration, but without having to rev bollocks off the engine on the motorway.

I won't be fitting them straight away though... I'll get the diff fitted into the gearbox, then I'll wait and get an uprated clutch and lightened flywheel, then fit the whole lot together.

Only one full working day after paying, the Wavetrac LSD arrived. I already have a quote, direct from TTV, for a lightened flywheel... now I'm just trying to sort something out with Helix for a paddle clutch.

Here's the diff and fitting kit:

diff1n.jpg

diff2.jpg

diff3.jpg

Here's the pictures from after collecting her:

snv32678.jpg

snv32679.jpg

snv32680.jpg

snv32681.jpg

snv32682.jpg

snv32683.jpg

snv32685.jpg

snv32686.jpg

snv32689.jpg

snv32690.jpg

snv32692.jpg

40463144536062704516240.jpg

Just under 300 miles from Bill's to mine... did it on one tank, with a final average MPG of 27.2, which included about 150 miles of twisty a and b roads, and a lot of 85-90 cruising when I hit the A1/M1.

The way the car pulls is just staggering... even up a rather steep hill in 5th gear, the car will be doing 80 and still accelerate, the torque and power is unbelievable... coming off roundabouts, one burst of throttle and you're already doing over the speed limit... after a few seconds you're getting close to licence-losing speed.

I'm just gonna have to get used to being a bit more cautious... in a car like this I could easily rack up points, I've kept my licence clean for nearly 4 years, don't want to start collecting SP30s now!

Sounds like you're quite taken with it then:)

You've got a bargain there no doubt and good to see the plans you've lined up. Will follow with interest.

Probably the best way to check true MPG is the old fashioned way when you fill up. I've never really trusted the dash display on mine.

Yeah you will have to watch the speed - I picked up 6 points within 2 months of getting mine! (luckily were first offences so was able to avoid 3 by going on a course)

Hope the enjoyment continues!

Thats is a lovely corrado Ben!,

Would love the 268's in mine, probably the next step for me.

230-240 is a bit ambitious i feel, 220-225 is more realistic but with the VGI its driveability that you want to aim for.

If you really want to get the big numbers you could probably sell the VGI and be 75% there towards a s/h charger set up 8) .

Have fun!

Cheers Pete.

Great buy there Ben, you did well buying this one. You have so many posh toys on this, it would cost me a fortune to get this much good stuff on mine :gag:

Looking forward to seeing your progress, the diff is a great start. Are you going to be letting on about poss new wheels?

That engine bay is just awesome to look at, the only things I would do if it was mine would be change the Samco's to black and get the mk4 Golf header tank. When's the charger going in then? :norty: :norty: :lol:

very good purchase, personally i would leave it alone and if you want a track weapon get a knackered 16v strip that down and put a 20vt in there.

Sounds like you're quite taken with it then:)

You've got a bargain there no doubt and good to see the plans you've lined up. Will follow with interest.

Probably the best way to check true MPG is the old fashioned way when you fill up. I've never really trusted the dash display on mine.

Yeah you will have to watch the speed - I picked up 6 points within 2 months of getting mine! (luckily were first offences so was able to avoid 3 by going on a course)

Hope the enjoyment continues!

Yeah I reckon after I take a few mates out for a quick spin today, it'll be close to empty so I'll fill up and see what the real MPG is. Like you say, I'm not sure whether to trust it or not, I mean, the speedo overreads (compared to my TomTom) by about 4-5mph... so 70 on the clocks is only about 65 on satnav... but that usually underreads by 1-2 I think.

Thats is a lovely corrado Ben!,

Would love the 268's in mine, probably the next step for me.

230-240 is a bit ambitious i feel, 220-225 is more realistic but with the VGI its driveability that you want to aim for.

If you really want to get the big numbers you could probably sell the VGI and be 75% there towards a s/h charger set up 8) .

Have fun!

Cheers Pete.

I will definitely keep the VGI for now... I'm not sure whether I'd go turbo or supercharger though... I love the whine you get with sc's, but the sheer tunability of turbos can't be written off too quickly

Great buy there Ben, you did well buying this one. You have so many posh toys on this, it would cost me a fortune to get this much good stuff on mine :gag:

Looking forward to seeing your progress, the diff is a great start. Are you going to be letting on about poss new wheels?

That engine bay is just awesome to look at, the only things I would do if it was mine would be change the Samco's to black and get the mk4 Golf header tank. When's the charger going in then? :norty: :norty: :lol:

That's the main reason I went for this one... because to get it to this spec (and that's what I'd be doing eventually anyway) it would cost so much more, even if I bought a nail

very good purchase, personally i would leave it alone and if you want a track weapon get a knackered 16v strip that down and put a 20vt in there.

Well after yesterday's effort on the motorway, I've decided this car is a real cruiser... a country road blaster, VWs version of a grand tourer almost... and whilst I'm sure it'd do good on the track, I think you're right...

Don't get me wrong, I'll still take it on the track, but I might not track-slag it completely... but if I did get a knackered valver and strip that, it'd be a long way off I think

Congratulations, You won't regret any money spent on that car.

:D

This must be bargain of the century!

Good job!

I know, I was so surprised it wasn't snapped up before I got my deposit down on it :)

Looking good!

Bet there are a few people who wish they had got in there first now, me included!! :grin:

Whats the ride like on the KW's and 17's? Everyone swears by the KW1's but I have always wondered how they cope with the Peak District roads, which arent the best sometimes are they!

Matt

Lots of plans there Ben, things I might have done myself, just couldn't justify spending anymore cash on her, I'd forgotten about the Amd chip :sleeping: get it down to Stealth for a remap and everything will start working together.

Hope you dont mind, I pinched a copy of this pic, just realised I dont have a full pic of the car with the new wheels

snv32690.jpg[/attachment:3qe4zxj3]

Looking good!

Bet there are a few people who wish they had got in there first now, me included!! :grin:

Whats the ride like on the KW's and 17's? Everyone swears by the KW1's but I have always wondered how they cope with the Peak District roads, which arent the best sometimes are they!

Matt

The ride is not bad at all for coilovers. At some point I think I might get V2s, I had damper-adjustable suspension on my old car and I'd like it again I think... so I can stiffen it right up for the track, soften it right down for the pot-holed roads round here, and somewhere in the middle for a good blast out in the peak district (just took my mate for a blast out the top of Ringinglow Road, down to Fox House then full circle back down Ecclesall Road, and it handles really well on those roads, just occasionally if you're accelerating out a bumpy corner the wheel will skip a bit, but not badly

Lots of plans there Ben, things I might have done myself, just couldn't justify spending anymore cash on her, I'd forgotten about the Amd chip :sleeping: get it down to Stealth for a remap and everything will start working together.

Hope you dont mind, I pinched a copy of this pic, just realised I dont have a full pic of the car with the new wheels

snv32690.jpg[/attachment:3suxub81]

Yeah that's fine Bill, it's actually my favourite pic that one :)

Like I said to Matt, just took my mate out in it, he had a Mk2 golf with the 2.9 VR engine in it and he said he can tell there is miles more torque than his had, but he was begging me to get it remapped cos he wants to know what it'd be like (he's planning on VR'ing his Vento, then charging that later on)

Noticed there is a slight leak on the sump gasket, but it only seems to be when the engine is running (there was only a tiny patch after the car sat on the drive overnight, and there's another same sized patch under the car now but it's not got any bigger since 5 minutes after the engine was turned off)

The engine burns oil as it gets closer to the redline to, fine until about 5000 rpm then starts to chuck out a bit of blue smoke, so thought best to check the oil and top up... So it's just had a healthy couple of litres of Mobil 10W-40 to take it to the top of the dipstick level line.

I'll look at replacing the sump gasket, and when I do, also sticking a baffled sump on, maybe even a baffled alloy one from a 4Motion or R32 or whatever they're off??

very nice purchase. well worth the money you spent :D bet your well excitied about getting the new diff fitted.

very nice purchase. well worth the money you spent :D bet your well excitied about getting the new diff fitted.

I can't wait, but realistically it'll be a couple of months. I need to pick the gearbox up, then once I've got the flywheel and clutch, I'm getting someone I know (of) to fit it all for me.

It might be October or November, but hopefully it'll be on before Christmas, and if not, it'll just be a case of finding a time to fit it all

Surprised about the oil leak Ben, it sat here for a month with no sign of oil on the ground and I checked the oil the other day and it was maybe 1mm from the full mark

Surprised about the oil leak Ben, it sat here for a month with no sign of oil on the ground and I checked the oil the other day and it was maybe 1mm from the full mark

It's not much, literally just several drops and that was it overnight... there's not much oil anywhere in the bay or on the subframe, so I'm not worried that it's too big an issue.

I can't wait to collect this ben, looks like the little one is on the way as well, fingers crossed it's a girl.

I can't wait to collect this ben, looks like the little one is on the way as well, fingers crossed it's a girl.

lol... and congrats, good luck, etc!!!

:lol: can't fit a pram in the boot of a Rado, sorry

Roof rack?

Roof rack?

Why would you want a baby in a Corrado? They make a mess and smell

Nice Rado dude, looking forward to wseeing this transform with your plans

Roof rack?

Would ruin the look

We have the one that will fit in a mini so no issues there buddy lol

Irrelevant :camp:

Why would you want a baby in a Corrado? They make a mess and smell

Nice Rado dude, looking forward to wseeing this transform with your plans

This guy speaks sense

Thanks mate