Sign in to follow this  
UseOnceDestroy

Sump gaurd?

I've lowered the C again and apart from the ride comfort being impaired, my chin spoiler splitting and the sump getting a minor scrape ... it's awesome!! :cuckoo:

I'm a little paranoid about the sump taking more of a hit than a minor scrape, so was thinking ... is there any form of sump guard you can buy? Does anyone have any experience with them?

Cheers :)

The problem wtih sump guards is they obviously sit lower than the sump so if your low you will be hitting it all the time. I had one on my old 4motion Golf which was quite low and it was a PITA to be honest.

I've been wanting to get a sump guard made because at £180+ for one its a bit steep for a sheet of metal. I know I'd prefer to have a sheet of metal smacking on the ground relatively often than my sump on occasions. I hit my sump 3 times and the third time put a hole in it! Shows how strong these indestructible sumps are, and im not even that low!

Welded a thick plate to my vr6 one till I get a mk5 r32 one, then when the new one is tucked up a little higher I'll make a snug fitting skid plate allowing enough space for alittle engine movement, hopefully that combo should have the sump gaurd sat roughly where a normal vr sump would be. Anyluck

Would a custom-made shallow sump be ok with the standard pump, or would it need different oil pump in the sump?

There is a gearbox guard on the auto - i removed it obviously for the conversion to manual but its a really hefty piece of metal! Might look into fitting it around the sump. If its ok, i'll post some pics up.

Strictly Dubs used to do one - contact Simon and see if they can still source them... You don't say what engine you've got but as I recall the SD one was for a VR6

Mark

Cheers for all your feedback, a friend of mine has had a custom one made for his scirocco by a local company ... Stronger metal and shallower, should hopefully do the trick!